Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 25, '08, 3:27 am

Religion: catholic
Default orders that accept older women

I'm sure there are many more sites, but I stumbled onto this site for vocations for older women. I always thought it was odd that priests could be older but not a nun. In a strict order I can see that I suppose, you are set in your ways, but some more active orders and some comtemplative here seem to welcome them to at least discern with them.
http://www.consecrated-life.org/over_45.htm
Old Jan 25, '08, 7:01 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: orders that accept older women

This is a good site to check out.
http://cloisters.tripod.com/cloisterites/index.html
Old Jan 25, '08, 8:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
I'm sure there are many more sites, but I stumbled onto this site for vocations for older women. I always thought it was odd that priests could be older but not a nun. In a strict order I can see that I suppose, you are set in your ways, but some more active orders and some comtemplative here seem to welcome them to at least discern with them.
Try this site. God bless.
Old Feb 3, '08, 12:33 pm
Banned

Your best bet is to search orders one by one, according to your interests. Each website has a list of 'links' to the sites which include most branches of their particular order, so you can start from there.

None of the cloisterite orders exist at this time, to my knowledge.

The consecrated-life.org website has not been updated for some time, and does not appear to be active.

Some sites which have their own lists of orders have a particular agenda--many appear to favor orders which wear habits; if you are interested only in these, you can go there. If you have no preference, you would be better off doing your own searches. Habits are in 'fashion' now, especially with the young, and habited orders are receiving more inquiries and youthful candidates. Orders which don't wear habits, which include branches of the largest orders, such as the Benedictines, Dominicans and Franciscans, aren't receiving as many inquiries from the young, but are attracting older, well-educated candidates. A lot of them are accepting older applicants, into their 50's, anyway.

Regarding the command of JPII re habits, it is my understanding (I haven't read the Latin) that he ordered religious wear a simple, becoming, identifiable garb that was easy to maintain (in accord with vow of poverty). He didn't mention the hem length, a veil, guimpe, wimple starch or a 15 decade rosary.
Old Feb 8, '08, 11:59 am
Observing Member

Hello Ladies,
Please see my thread regarding our religious community that accepts older women. Of course women of all ages are welcome! My co-foundress has always been single and I have been married, widowed and have three children and three grandchildren. We are quite understanding of family obligations and also health issues that sometimes are not negotiable with some religious communities. Please see my thread for Older Vocations for Women. We are; The Sisters of The Real Presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I am Sr. Kathleen Marie.
Old Feb 19, '08, 1:40 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP Sisters View Post
Hello Ladies,
Please see my thread regarding our religious community that accepts older women. Of course women of all ages are welcome! My co-foundress has always been single and I have been married, widowed and have three children and three grandchildren. We are quite understanding of family obligations and also health issues that sometimes are not negotiable with some religious communities. Please see my thread for Older Vocations for Women. We are; The Sisters of The Real Presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I am Sr. Kathleen Marie.

.........any plans by any chance, Sister, of expanding into Australia? .............I am South Australian. I have been searching for years, but no Orders here will accept mature age women, and I just keep on getting older. I am now a young 62 years of age and would only consider an order living the contemplative monastic life. I have lived alone and often quite a hermits existence rather be default (I have no a clear call to the life of a hermit ) for coming up 25 years under spiritual direction. There seems to be a fair few Orders which will accept mature age women, certainly in the UK and the USA, but nothing here in Australia.

For the interested, this Order is specifically for older women:

http://www.eudistservants.org/index.html

Eudist Servants of the Eleventh Hour.
A Catholic Congregation For Mature Women

They wear habits, but I am unable to discern from the website whether they live in their own homes. I was quite taken by their white veil - good move! I think that some of them may. I may make contact with them and ask a few questions when I get a few minutes.
Old Feb 19, '08, 8:50 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Regarding the command of JPII re habits, it is my understanding (I haven't read the Latin) that he ordered religious wear a simple, becoming, identifiable garb that was easy to maintain (in accord with vow of poverty). He didn't mention the hem length, a veil, guimpe, wimple starch or a 15 decade rosary.
Conversely, no proscription on any of those were made either. I am not saying those things alone are "the way" to go... but there may be some wisdom in revisiting some of that. What served so well for so long would seem to still have a place!

OTH, I do know of a new community here in Ohio that just started that wears a remarkably simple habit - no starch there - of white with a rose floor length scapular and white veil. They sew them themselves, and they look sort of "midieval" which I dig...
Old Feb 20, '08, 9:35 am

Make sure to check out Rosalind Moss' new order that she will be announcing today Wednesday February 20 on Catholic Answers radio. See details on my thread about a New Order for Nuns of All Ages.
Old Apr 30, '11, 12:53 pm
Observing Member

Peace of the Risen Lord,
I am a belated vocation to the priesthood and just finishing my 2nd yr of Theology. I have a female friend whose husband died a couple of years ago who is interested in orders that are open to older women. Could you please forward any information you might have?
Thank you,
Deacon Pat Cunningham
Old Apr 30, '11, 2:38 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I thought the order of the visitation was an order open to specifically widows but not exclusuively? Am I wrong...?
Old May 1, '11, 8:15 am

The site ``Paths of Love`` : http://www.pathsof love.com/
has good listings of communities (for both men & for women) that accept vocations
over 45.
Old May 2, '11, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
I thought the order of the visitation was an order open to specifically widows but not exclusuively? Am I wrong...?
Yes, the Visitation Order was founded by a widow, St. Jeanne de Chantal, with St. Francis de Sales.

It was started not exclusively for widows, but also those who were young (say, under 20-her own daughter Marie-Aimee, who was married to St. Francis' brother Bernard de Sales, was received into the Order on her deathbed by her brother-in-law. She was dying of childbirth complications. Her husband, who was in the French army, had died of plague in norther Italy, not long before his wife's death. St. Jeanne hastily baptized the baby before it too died) and those who were weak in health and could not do the hard penances that were in the Orders at that time.

Yikes....that's one long sentence!
Old May 2, '11, 11:00 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb finnegan View Post
Yes, the Visitation Order was founded by a widow, St. Jeanne de Chantal, with St. Francis de Sales.

It was started not exclusively for widows, but also those who were young (say, under 20-her own daughter Marie-Aimee, who was married to St. Francis' brother Bernard de Sales, was received into the Order on her deathbed by her brother-in-law. She was dying of childbirth complications. Her husband, who was in the French army, had died of plague in norther Italy, not long before his wife's death. St. Jeanne hastily baptized the baby before it too died) and those who were weak in health and could not do the hard penances that were in the Orders at that time.

Yikes....that's one long sentence!

Thanks you are right!
Old Aug 12, '11, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdeacon View Post
Peace of the Risen Lord,
I am a belated vocation to the priesthood and just finishing my 2nd yr of Theology. I have a female friend whose husband died a couple of years ago who is interested in orders that are open to older women. Could you please forward any information you might have?
Thank you,
Deacon Pat Cunningham
Dear Pat,
Your friend may want to check out these two new communities that take older women:
www.motherofisraelshope.org
www.daughtersofdivinehope.org
They wear the full habit and are contemplative/active.
God bless you and your friend!
Monica
Old Aug 14, '11, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
debraran,

As others have suggested you would need to contact the different orders or communites as to their individual age requirements. Some are more flexible than others.

If you are unclear as to where to begin there are a few search engines which may be of some help to you...

One is " http://www.vocationnetwork.org/" Vocation Network is just that.. it helps to fit communities with potential candidates. The website is well worth looking into and it does have a link for older vocations.

Also of note is " http://www.vocationsplacement.org/" which is also helpful. Both sites operate differently but both might be useful to you. A note on vocations placement.. if you use their services they will send you possible "options" based on parameters you set.. plus some additional thrown in "just in case" .. they are a wonderful service but it helps to know you will receive "extras" which don't actually match your search...

Also if you know the Order you are attracted to?? such as Franciscan or Dominican etc you ought to also check their national websites for help

good luck and blessings!!!

Sr Debbie OSC

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations