Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: who is excluded from heaven
I am a catholic which thinks that most protestant are excluded from heaven 6 11.76%
I am an catholic who thinks that most protestant are NOT excluded from heaven 31 60.78%
I am a protestant who thinks that most catholics are excluded from heaven 1 1.96%
I am a protestant who thinks that most catholics are NOT excluded from heaven 15 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Jan 25, '08, 5:37 pm
Banned

Religion: undecided
Default follow up do protestants catholics go to heaven

Do catholics think that protestants are excluded from heaven?

yes
no

Then ask for our protestant friends what they think by asking

Do protestants think that catholics are excluded from heaven?
yes
no
Old Jan 25, '08, 10:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: follow up do protestants catholics go to heaven

I'm not sure why we need another thread, but I'll repeat what I said on the first one:

A true protestant can't go to heaven, because he's rejected the Church. There is no salvation outside the church.

So, in that sense, no protestants go to heaven.

That being said, just being born into a protestant family is hardly a sin. If one has been validly baptised and is part of a protestant church out of ignorance, heaven is certainly a possibility.

This is because there is only one baptism. When one is validly baptised in a protestant church, one is really baptised into the Catholic Church, thus becoming a member of the Catholic Church - although a member in imperfect communion. If someone who has been validly baptised dies without the stain of mortal sin, they will go to heaven. Being a protestant is only sinful when it is a deliberate rebellion against Christ's true church: formal heresy; so, simply being a protestant does not mean that one is in a state of mortal sin.

This is what the Church means in saying that protestant churches are used as "instruments of salvation" by the Spirit of Christ. This is not meant to praise protestant churches, but instead to acknowledge the validity of their sacramental baptism - which indeed offers salvation.

The guessing game of just how many "separated brethren" go to heaven is just plain silly. No one can know if "all" or "most" or "some" or "none" of them are going to heaven, because no one but God can know their hearts.
Old Jan 26, '08, 12:17 am

i very rarely will post on the forums cause im more of a lurker (someone who doesnt post but does read alot of the stuff going on) but i just wanted to say that i think most protestants are going to heaven it was an accident about me voting for them not to
Old Jan 26, '08, 12:53 am

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite

If you are baptized which most protestants are... eventually. Then they pass the free from original sin litmus. But after that if they believe then they are good there. But if they die with mortal sin on their souls then they will not reach heaven. This is true of anyone, but we catholics and orthodox have sacramental confession.

Since they lack sacramental confession I believe it is much harder for them to reach heaven. But not impossible and I certainly hope that as many as possible do make it.

But remeber rejecting the Church is rejecting Jesus and thus a mortal sin. If you are only rejecting the church because you were brought up that way it is one thing, but to look at the facts as you grow older and after all your investigation still say to hell with the Pope and all those Minnow Munching Catholics and their Smells and Bells then well I would say it is safe to say you are rejecting the Church and thus the one who sent the Church, Jesus.
Old Aug 1, '08, 3:40 pm

Religion: catholic

To Dauphin

How arrogant of a reply! What a Christian! . You can discuss further with the protestants in hell when you get there!
Old Aug 1, '08, 5:24 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Christian

Can a Protestant be completely at fault for being deceived to believe the Catholic Church is false? If someone openly knew the Catholic Church was indeed the Church founded by Christ they would be jumping in head first. Unless they truly did not want ot follow God. The reason they deny is either misinformation, indifferentism, or uncertainty.

+O Holy Spirit,
who comes from the Love of the Father and Son
Through the prayers of Mary, our Mother
May God's will be done unto us all!
Amen, Amen!+

tGette - Pronounced: T-"JET"
Old Aug 1, '08, 6:07 pm

What's the point of this thread? To stir up trouble?

Oh, for either to say yes to either question is arrogant and ignorant.
Old Aug 1, '08, 7:30 pm

Religion: Misinformed Unitarian Universalist

I think we will be amazed as to who we meet in Heaven.
Old Aug 1, '08, 7:33 pm

Religion: None
Send a message via MSN to ChristianKnight
Question Re: follow up do protestants catholics go to heaven

I believe anyone can go to heaven if they:

Believen Christ
Believen the Trinity
Study the Bible
Follow the 10 commandments and other laws, as best as they can
Old Aug 2, '08, 6:46 am

Religion: catholic

To Dauphin

I apologize for the remark in my reply in that I only read part of your post that implied Protestants do not go to heaven without reading on to your further insights. It is still clear at least to me( as it was in readings on Mother Theresa) that if you are a good Protestant, Mormon, Musllim etc that salvation can be yours .In his depiction of the final Judgement, Jesus makes no reference to doctrine or belief. The deciding factor of who goes to heaven or hell is the way they have dealt with other people(Matt 25:35-40)

Last edited by JosephDaniel; Aug 2, '08 at 6:48 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 2, '08, 7:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_sdc View Post
I think we will be amazed as to who we meet in Heaven.
Exactly!
Old Aug 2, '08, 7:26 am

Religion: United Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
A true protestant can't go to heaven, because he's rejected the Church.
I haven't rejected anything. I say the Apostles' Creed every Sunday, and I believe in the Holy Catholic Church (and the Communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, etc.).
Old Aug 2, '08, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S. Luke View Post
I haven't rejected anything. I say the Apostles' Creed every Sunday, and I believe in the Holy Catholic Church (and the Communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, etc.).
Don't worry Luke, I think you're probably ok.
Old Aug 2, '08, 9:27 am

Religion: Local Church Assembly of God. Theology probably Wesleyan.

This is what I have figured out thus far as a non-Catholic.

Catholics of course have the advantage of tradition (whatever that is) and a teaching magisterium that is incapable of being incorrect. As a result they have what is called "Catholic unity" as opposed to the Protestants who all believe "Sola Scriptura" which has produced approximately 3567128 denominations with the number increasing daily.

Catholics believe something called "There is no salvation outside of the Catholic church". Now I could ask where in the Bible they get that from, but of course that is an invalid question because since Catholics don't believe in "Sola Scriptura", they do not operate under the limitations that Protestants do of making sure that the Bible actually teaches something before they believe it.

Now the quote "There is no salvation salvation outside of the Catholic church" was said (I think) first by St. Cyprius of Carthage in 150AD or so when the Catholic church was the only game in town outside of the gnostics and other wierdos. It is perfectly logical according to Catholicism to lift that quote, dogmatize it, and plop it down here in the 21st century under conditions that St. Cyprius couldn't even imagine.

Now to some Catholics this is quite cut and dry. It was quite clear that St. Cyprius meant (and later reaffirmed by many popes through the ages), that if you are not a card carrying Catholic you go directly to hell..do not pass go..do not collect $200. Well perhaps maybe something called "invincible ignorance" could apply to a few. But for folks like me who know of the claims of Catholicism and still obstinately remain outside of the "Ark of Safety", "invincible ignorance" just does not apply. We bake in the lake forever when we die.

However to some Catholics this quote has a different meaning. Vatican 2.0 has changed the rules that somehow we now are separated brethren (I know that really the rules have not changed and some really smart people can tell me how this is the same thing..but by all appearances to us folks like me who lack reading comprehension skills is that something has changed). The best explanation I have received is that now I am a Catholic (having been Baptized under the trinitarian formula), I just don't know it yet. Maybe in purgatory I will get a clue.

Anyway, this perspective is the one that is supported rom the Catechism which as we all know is the authentic guide to Catholic teaching.

However, to the other Catholics, Vatican 2.0 changed nothing. I have received a number of explanations as to why this is ranging from
(1) It is not infallible and therefore is heretical because it conflicts with what previous popes have infallibly declared,
(2) See (1) with the added twist and the popes that produced this heresy are really antipopes, The Catholic church now lacks a valid pope
(3) It is not heresy, but the Catechism has misinterpreted it and is incorrect.

And on it goes. Having followed these forums for some time, Catholics disagree amongst themselves on what exactly their own church teaches in this regard.

Meanwhile, Catholics of course have an infallible magisterium that has created "Catholic unity" as opposed to Protestants who all believe in "Sola Scriptura" that has created about 5672398 protestant denominations.
You shall know them by their fruits (Matthew 7:16)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galations 5:22-23)
Old Jan 1, '09, 5:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: follow up do protestants catholics go to heaven

If the Body of Christ is NOT the Church of the living God, the pillar and mainstay of truth, then scripture can be wrong.

If scripture can be wrong, the Church that compiled that scripture can be wrong. If the Church can be wrong, as the Body of Christ, Christ can be wrong. This is pure logic.

So if the Catholic Church declares it is possible for protestants to enter the kingdom of Heaven, then it must be so.

However, One important note to remember is that Our Lord does not exempt the ignorant from suffering for not doing the will of God although their suffering is the lesser.

That is why those who in ignorance follow after heresies will suffer for the heresy, even though they thought the heresy to be truth, for they had the opportunity to know the truth.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions