Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 26, '08, 2:38 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Marijuana = Sinfull?

My name is Jason and I live in Ohio. My parents are not very religious, and I do not have any siblings. I live in a small town, and there are not many Catholics there. There is one Youth Group, but after attending several meetings I failed to become friends with any of the other kids my own age. As a result, I tend to hang out with my non-religious friends. They are good people still, and rarely do I feel my spirituality becomes an issue when I am with them. Lately, however, I have begun to wonder.

One of my friends began to smoke marijuana, and soon, most of them were. I also said no when they offered me some, and they let it rest respecting my beliefs. I always had a good time when they smoked, anyway. They were always so happy and always laughed when they were high and we all had a good time.

Let me point out that while none of them are very religious, they are still good people. They may smoke pot every so often, but they commit no other crimes. As odd as it sounds they are all on the Honor Roll at school, too, and are considered upstanding young men and women by everyone. I take pride to be in their company.

About two months ago, I let my curiosity get the best of me, and I smoked some with them. I had an amazing time. They knew it was my first time getting high, so they wanted to show me a good time. We went out into the woods and smoked, then took a hike. It was an incredible experience. It was if I was seeing the world from a completely different perspective, and I noticed details in nature that I had never noticed before. I had been to those woods many times, but it was like I was seeing it all again for the first time. I felt a connection to the world, and as a result I began to feel closer to God.

I now smoke quite a bit, and I feel that it has made me grow closer to the world around me and to God as well. I go on about my life as normal, and the smoking has never gotten me into trouble or even made me late for an appointment.

My friends sometimes ask me why I do drugs if I'm a Catholic, and I say that marijuana is from the ground, and natural. God had a reason to put it on this Earth.

I just wonder what the Bible might think of this subject.
Old Jan 26, '08, 2:51 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Lapsed Catholic
Default Re: Marijuana = Sinfull?

Hemlock is from the ground too. Itís natural and poisonous. That God put something on the earth does not mean it was meant for our consumption.

Given that marijuanaís entire purpose is the hallucinatory effects that it has upon the mind, I would counsel that to use this substance is to seek escape from the reality of Godís creation in preference for some chemically induced fantasy. This is directly opposed to being alert in oneís service to God.
Old Jan 26, '08, 3:55 pm

Religion: catholic

"We went out into the woods and smoked"

Have you ever notice that when we sin, or do something we really shouldn't be doing, we do it in darkness? We do it hidden from view of others and ourselves? If I commit murder am I going to do it at the mall in clear view of everyone else? Or do I do it some place not to be caught or seen? The tragedy now becomes when we find others in the darkness and we do the sin hidden together. The the next thing you know we are justifying our actions to some how make a wrong a right. "They were always so happy and always laughed when they were high and we all had a good time. As odd as it sounds they are all on the Honor Roll at school, too, and are considered upstanding young men and women by everyone. I take pride to be in their company."
We need to ask ourselves what we are truly doing. If smoking grass is not a sin, why do you hide? When you smoke grass are you not being intoxicated, or "high"? Being drunk is a sin, but getting stoned isn't? Please keep yourself in the light and run from the darkness, run to Christ.
Old Jan 26, '08, 6:23 pm
Banned

Post Re: Marijuana = Sinfull?

[quote=Faith8472;3243607I just wonder what the Bible might think of this subject.[/QUOTE]

The Bible might think you are required to obey the laws of the Government you live under. The Devil is thrilled to offer, as an excuse, "But everyone else is doing it!". Really? And so what?

If you have a copy of the CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH (and you really should), section 2291 makes it quite clear that, yes, Marijuana is indeed "a grave offense".

Last edited by Andruschak; Jan 26, '08 at 6:24 pm. Reason: spellling
Old Jan 26, '08, 6:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith8472 View Post
My name is Jason and I live in Ohio. My parents are not very religious, and I do not have any siblings. I live in a small town, and there are not many Catholics there. There is one Youth Group, but after attending several meetings I failed to become friends with any of the other kids my own age. As a result, I tend to hang out with my non-religious friends. They are good people still, and rarely do I feel my spirituality becomes an issue when I am with them. Lately, however, I have begun to wonder.

One of my friends began to smoke marijuana, and soon, most of them were. I also said no when they offered me some, and they let it rest respecting my beliefs. I always had a good time when they smoked, anyway. They were always so happy and always laughed when they were high and we all had a good time.

Let me point out that while none of them are very religious, they are still good people. They may smoke pot every so often, but they commit no other crimes. As odd as it sounds they are all on the Honor Roll at school, too, and are considered upstanding young men and women by everyone. I take pride to be in their company.

About two months ago, I let my curiosity get the best of me, and I smoked some with them. I had an amazing time. They knew it was my first time getting high, so they wanted to show me a good time. We went out into the woods and smoked, then took a hike. It was an incredible experience. It was if I was seeing the world from a completely different perspective, and I noticed details in nature that I had never noticed before. I had been to those woods many times, but it was like I was seeing it all again for the first time. I felt a connection to the world, and as a result I began to feel closer to God.

I now smoke quite a bit, and I feel that it has made me grow closer to the world around me and to God as well. I go on about my life as normal, and the smoking has never gotten me into trouble or even made me late for an appointment.

My friends sometimes ask me why I do drugs if I'm a Catholic, and I say that marijuana is from the ground, and natural. God had a reason to put it on this Earth.

I just wonder what the Bible might think of this subject.
It's ALWAYS sinful if your intent is to "get away with something".

If you take pleasure in the fact that "Ha ha, I can DO IT here when I couldn't over there!", you are sinning.
Old Jan 27, '08, 6:46 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite, Loyal to the Magisterium)
Send a message via MSN to T.A.Stobie, SFO Send a message via Yahoo to T.A.Stobie, SFO

Yes, as follows

(1) taking any substance that impares your ability to make moral decisions, except for strictly medical purposes is wrong.

(2) taking any substance that harms your body is wrong.

(3) breaking any law that is not immoral is wrong.
Old Jan 27, '08, 10:25 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I used to struggle with this concept as well. Those who are opposed to marijuana often are opposed from a lack of knowledge or experience with it.

What made me realize it was sinful was this: we are called to subject ourselves to the influence of the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit alone. One can drink a small amount of alcohol and have a "buzz," yet not be subjected to its influence. One can ingest/inhale a small amount of marijuana and be subjected to its influence, even though you are still in control of the majority of your actions. Notice I say majority. People who are high from marijuana tend to have problems processing thoughts and words, much like when you're dreaming, which is part of its allure.

Being high can be likened to a spiritual experience. I would know. But I've decided to get my "spiritual highs" from God alone.
Old Jan 28, '08, 6:32 am

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

You aren't going to like the answer but yes, it is sinful. If you intend to continue being a Catholic then you need to stop, repent and confess.

Just because your friends are otherwise good people, doesn't make this sin OK. It doesn't work like that, being good students doesn't give you a free pass to commit other sins.

Also, it is a ''gateway drug'' and it does lead to harder substance abuse. Whoever thinks of arguing otherwise is foolish. I will cite from my own experience with my friends and family.

My older brother and sister started on marijuana, they are both now addicted to cocaine.

Around ten of my close friends who were ''otherwise good kids'' started by smoking a bit of weed now and then. Now between them they are addicted to crack, cocaine, ecstasy and whatever else they can get their hands on. What is more they are unashamed, I used to love hanging out with them, now I can't bring myself to do it anymore.

My little sister is pregnant right now, and intends on lighting up as soon as the baby comes out.

My best friend when I was younger was dead set against any intoxicant, in September 2003 he had a drink, he liked drinking. Later that month while drunk, he tried smoking tobacco, and enjoyed it, became addicted to tobacco. By October he was hooked on weed, skunk etc. By the end of January he had stopped talking to me, told me never to speak to him again. By february he had tried cocaine and if rumours were true, by March, heroin.

I have seen what drugs do to people. Don't mess about with it. I have been physically assaulted by people who have abused substances, so has my mother and my father. It IS a sin, and it will lead to worse things.

God Bless

Peter
Old Jan 28, '08, 9:35 am

Religion: catholic

okay, so I KNOW that caffeine is not even close to marijuana, but doesn't caffeine also provide feelings that we normally wouldn't feel? I don't know about you, but caffeine makes me happier - I don't know , maybe I'm weird! But people act different on caffeine - why is caffeine "allowed."
Old Jan 28, '08, 9:44 am

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillProvide View Post
okay, so I KNOW that caffeine is not even close to marijuana, but doesn't caffeine also provide feelings that we normally wouldn't feel? I don't know about you, but caffeine makes me happier - I don't know , maybe I'm weird! But people act different on caffeine - why is caffeine "allowed."
It doesn't impair judgement to the point that you are no longer in control of your actions does it? Also it is legal.
Old Jan 28, '08, 9:56 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith8472 View Post
I tend to hang out with my non-religious friends. They are good people still...Let me point out that while none of them are very religious, they are still good people. They ... are considered upstanding young men and women by everyone.
"Good", "upstanding" people do not break the law and entice their "friends" to break the law as well.

You know it's wrong or you wouldn't be asking.

Stop smoking, stop hanging out with these "good" people who would assist their "friend" in breaking the law and doing illegal drugs.

You can justify this all you like - but the truth is the truth and you know it.

Be strong and just stop. You will be much better for it.

~Liza
Old Jan 28, '08, 10:11 am
Forum Elder

Recreational use of marijuana may or may not be sinful in and of itself - at one time, it was legal (so was cocaine) and it was not considered a sin at that time.

However, today it is illegal, and the reasons include that it is easy to become addicted to it, it has unknown effects on the brain (some people experience loss of memory, loss of speech/language skills, and other kinds of brain damage) and it can lead to risky behaviour (thinking it's okay to jump off a high building, for example). The "come-down" after you're high also sometimes is accompanied by feelings of paranoia - irrational fear.

You should not try to drive or operate heavy machinery when you are high, since as you've already noticed, your perceptions are altered - you're not seeing what's really there. You should probably also not try to do homework when you're high, since the results will probably be chaotic.

My advice to you is to stop using it before you find out whether you are one of the people who will experience brain damage from it, since brain damage is difficult to reverse, and will definitely affect your grades, as well as your employability after high school - most employers don't like to hire people who have brain damage.

Aside from that, it's illegal, and if you get caught, you will most likely be arrested, and that in and of itself can be detrimental to your future prospects, as well, even if you never get brain damage.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jan 28, '08, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
Recreational use of marijuana may or may not be sinful in and of itself - at one time, it was legal (so was cocaine) and it was not considered a sin at that time.

However, today it is illegal, and the reasons include that it is easy to become addicted to it, it has unknown effects on the brain (some people experience loss of memory, loss of speech/language skills, and other kinds of brain damage) and it can lead to risky behaviour (thinking it's okay to jump off a high building, for example). The "come-down" after you're high also sometimes is accompanied by feelings of paranoia - irrational fear.

You should not try to drive or operate heavy machinery when you are high, since as you've already noticed, your perceptions are altered - you're not seeing what's really there. You should probably also not try to do homework when you're high, since the results will probably be chaotic.

My advice to you is to stop using it before you find out whether you are one of the people who will experience brain damage from it, since brain damage is difficult to reverse, and will definitely affect your grades, as well as your employability after high school - most employers don't like to hire people who have brain damage.

Aside from that, it's illegal, and if you get caught, you will most likely be arrested, and that in and of itself can be detrimental to your future prospects, as well, even if you never get brain damage.
Other than government, anti-weed films, I have never seen someone jump off a bridge while high on marijuana. It's illegal simply because the government wanted to crack down on all drugs and they have not found an appropriate way to regulate its use and taxation. That being said, I don't touch the stuff. It's illegal now... and while I disagree with the reasons for it being an illegal drug when alcohol and cigarettes are legal I will abide by the rules.
And its a sin because you are disregarding authority and the law. So forget pot. You don't need to be high to see the beauty of the world around you.
Old Jan 28, '08, 10:25 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisunt View Post
Other than government, anti-weed films, I have never seen someone jump off a bridge while high on marijuana.
Neither have I, but I did see a guy who thought it would be funny to jump down a 6-storey stairwell - I'm not sure what he was high on, but marijuana was the most likely suspect.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jan 28, '08, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
Neither have I, but I did see a guy who thought it would be funny to jump down a 6-storey stairwell - I'm not sure what he was high on, but marijuana was the most likely suspect.
That would be stupidity not pot that he had in his system. Or he was high on marijuana that had been laced with another drug (angel dust, cocaine, cold medicine etc)

I've seen the effects that type of drug can have on people first hand and it is a more accurate description of the "drug crazed maniac" that many think of when they think about pot.

Talking about marijuana on a Catholic website seems weird to me. This seems like a conversation I would have had on my college campus in the dining hall... not here.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality