Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jan 29, '08, 6:58 am
firebrand firebrand is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2008
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Default In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

They have a homosexual organization, are the greatest form of radical indoctrination in the US, monopolize industry (medicine, advertising, education), instruct immorality in everything they do, are rationalistic, secularist, a sort of "secret brotherhood" like masonry, they are responsible for a huge number of abortion referrals every year, who says they "help" people, rather they practice a false religion, or anti-religion.
  #2  
Old Jan 29, '08, 7:19 am
ralphinal ralphinal is offline
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 9,391
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

I started a chemistry major and ended up in psychology. I see where you are coming from, but I think that you have a causal issue that is being ignored. When I was in chemistry, there were a good number of people who were agnostic or atheist, but by and large, many could have cared less about any faith at all, even if they claimed to have one. Psychology was full of people who were every kind of faith system, including a large group of new age types. Also, the hard science people tended to be more conservative in ideology while psychology folks were more liberal. This causes the people in the upper levels to be more liberal. At one time, homosexuality was classified as a disorder, although I don't remember if it was a personality or mental one.

I know of several psychologists who are Christ-focused in their practice. It does not interefere at all with what they do. In fact, the results tend to be better when a faith system is involvoed.
  #3  
Old Jan 29, '08, 11:29 am
firebrand firebrand is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2008
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

That sounds very mushy and multicultural as if all belief systems were alike. Most psychiatrists are atheists. The Pope, in a World Day of the Sick message 2005 related that most mental illnesses are NOT biological but are ideological and that the use of medicines should be cut way back. He said the problem was separation from God. I say that psychology is more than a system to treat disorders but a belief system, mostly agnostic/atheistic/secularist. Identifying this as a causal thing is fine as to say that one who has been in it doesn't know it for what it is. Could you say that you don't believe that atheism, say, causes social disorders and that psychologists don't teach this as a body of doctrine?
  #4  
Old Jan 29, '08, 11:36 am
mschrank mschrank is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 16, 2006
Posts: 1,620
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

For atheists there are two options.

Option 1, "blind indifference"- think of the Knight's squire in "The Seventh Seal". Joke about the meaningless of life to keep the scowls away, mock those that hope in something more. Make a lot of hissing noises.

Option 2, dull yourself with pleasure. The problem is this can't last all of the time. Most atheists I know are primarily option 1 with a bit of option 2 on the weekends... ok, without the hissing noises (unless you're a pro-abortion activist).

If that were me, I'd need a headshrinker too. Just like the kid in Rebel Without a Cause.
__________________
"Humanity doesn't have the strength to remove the tombstone of its own making" Pope Pius XII
  #5  
Old Jan 29, '08, 11:43 am
DDClark DDClark is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 24, 2007
Posts: 119
Religion: Inquirer
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand View Post
That sounds very mushy and multicultural as if all belief systems were alike. Most psychiatrists are atheists.

Is this your opinion, or do you have statistics to back this up?

The Pope, in a World Day of the Sick message 2005 related that most mental illnesses are NOT biological but are ideological and that the use of medicines should be cut way back. He said the problem was separation from God.

I find this comment very sad. Is the pope a medical doctor? How many saints have suffered from and expressed depression in their writings?

Certainly, there is a spiritual aspect that needs to be addressed when treating mental illness, but this type of comment is similar to certain non-Catholic Christians who believe that you are mentally ill because you don't have enough faith or have not prayed enough.

I say that psychology is more than a system to treat disorders but a belief system, mostly agnostic/atheistic/secularist. Identifying this as a causal thing is fine as to say that one who has been in it doesn't know it for what it is.

I don't really understand the last part of your comment
...

Could you say that you don't believe that atheism, say, causes social disorders and that psychologists don't teach this as a body of doctrine?
Again, where do you get your information?
  #6  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:01 pm
firebrand firebrand is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2008
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

DDClark: That most psychiatrists are atheists is obvious from most of the reading I've done for about 40 years, and I do a lot of reading, then, I have some personal experience with people like this, then, it just appeared that way in an article on a Vatican news bulletin here in the States. They have statistics; but I don't think you'd be interested in statistics because it sounds like you have your own bag. This is my bag.

I've studied a lot about atheism because I was one, a lot of church stuff, and it is very frequently discussed whether atheistic ideology is linked to social disorder; traditional Catholic sources say it definitely is and that is one reason I gave it up. So there.
  #7  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:06 pm
Exalt Exalt is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 10, 2004
Posts: 1,286
Religion: None. Non-theist, secular humanist.
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand View Post
They have a homosexual organization, are the greatest form of radical indoctrination in the US, monopolize industry (medicine, advertising, education), instruct immorality in everything they do, are rationalistic, secularist, a sort of "secret brotherhood" like masonry, they are responsible for a huge number of abortion referrals every year, who says they "help" people, rather they practice a false religion, or anti-religion.
But unlike Religion, they are open to new evidence and frequently change thier stance on a given issue. Unlike Religion, which demands faith inspite of evidence to the contrary, the psychology field invites constructive criticism and is willing to revise generally-held ideas.
  #8  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:12 pm
ralphinal ralphinal is offline
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 9,391
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

I would say that any belief system, even a lack of one, if misused can cause social ills. THere is too much history to say otherwise. Atheism creates its own problems, as does secular humanism. My point is that there is no ideology in the APA that is not formed by its members. I was never told not to think a certain way, nor was I taught to think according to the book, so to speak. People bring their own ideology in with them when they become psychologists or psychiatrists.

I do agree that medications are overused in America, but that is across the board. When dealing with a psychiatric problem, say depression, the evidence shows that counciling coupled with medication is the most effective. Many family doctors perscribe the drugs without addressing the causes of the issues. Now, I do not agree that most of it is a lack of faith. Some are truly biological and some are idiological, but there are a lot of devout Christians with issues. A LOT.

Please post a link to the speach from the Pope from the World Day of the SIck. I might have looked at the wrong year, but I saw nothing about mental health meds in 2005.
  #9  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:22 pm
firebrand firebrand is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2008
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Can't post your link. I think it was VIS (Vatican Information Service). It was the year before the big meeting of the disabled in Korea, the first year he was elected. Look around, as usual, his teaching was simple and direct about ideology. Don't downplay faith as an element in mental health. A man can get up and walk around with God supporting him, even if the psychiatrist can't see God. It is Christ who heals in every case.
  #10  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:28 pm
ralphinal ralphinal is offline
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 9,391
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand View Post
Can't post your link. I think it was VIS (Vatican Information Service). It was the year before the big meeting of the disabled in Korea, the first year he was elected. Look around, as usual, his teaching was simple and direct about ideology. Don't downplay faith as an element in mental health. A man can get up and walk around with God supporting him, even if the psychiatrist can't see God. It is Christ who heals in every case.
I for one do not downplay the role of faith. I am asking you not to downplay the role of biology either. For some people, mental illness IS the cross that they are to bare.

I'll keep looking. What I saw on 2005 was about AIDS in Africa, with a little talk about redeptive suffering.
  #11  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:35 pm
DDClark DDClark is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 24, 2007
Posts: 119
Religion: Inquirer
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand View Post
DDClark: That most psychiatrists are atheists is obvious from most of the reading I've done for about 40 years, and I do a lot of reading, then, I have some personal experience with people like this, then, it just appeared that way in an article on a Vatican news bulletin here in the States. They have statistics; but I don't think you'd be interested in statistics because it sounds like you have your own bag. This is my bag.

I've studied a lot about atheism because I was one, a lot of church stuff, and it is very frequently discussed whether atheistic ideology is linked to social disorder; traditional Catholic sources say it definitely is and that is one reason I gave it up. So there.
I actually *am* interested in statistics. That's why I asked for them.

Please also post a link to the Pope's speech.

When you say "you have your own bag", I assume you mean I have my own agenda? I suppose we all do, to a certain extent, based on our own spiritual beliefs, experiences, knowledge, education, etc.

I've worked with people with mental illness (everything from schizophrenia to personality disorders to major depression). I also have a degree in psychology and social work. I don't sit behind a desk and consult the DSM or my old textbooks when I am working in a group home or in a community setting, because theory is very different than reality.

I just think that broad generalizations in mental health are wrong (including handing out psychiatric medications without good reason and proper supports).

ddc
  #12  
Old Jan 29, '08, 12:54 pm
firebrand firebrand is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2008
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

I'm not going to apologize for saying the Pope made this statement. It was the year he was elected. I lost the link for my own records. But it's pretty well accepted, too, the pharmaceuticals are very overbearing. Right now, today, the Pope made another statement about not linking identity of the individual to technology. Are you guys following this stuff? People in psychiatric care are not straw men, unlike what everyone says! In Switzerland they just legalized assisted suicide for severe mental cases, including bipolar. Bioethics International on the web has this story. Please! They have argued for centuries whether a man has a soul. Psychiatrists have been involved in some of the worst eugenics and secular humanism of the last century. At least believe that the Pope was interested in lessening the discrimination, if not lifting the burden of the body from mental suffering.
  #13  
Old Jan 29, '08, 1:54 pm
firebrand firebrand is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 11, 2008
Posts: 40
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

You think too slow. You go on the defense instead of the offense on the side of an issue of justice. Time, time, time, whether you sit and argue whether the body or the soul is ascendant. Then you quibble. People are going to be euthanized, soul, body and drugs and kidneys and experiments and all. A man could go mad just listening to you.
  #14  
Old Jan 29, '08, 1:57 pm
mschrank mschrank is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 16, 2006
Posts: 1,620
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalt View Post
But unlike Religion, they are open to new evidence and frequently change thier stance on a given issue. Unlike Religion, which demands faith inspite of evidence to the contrary, the psychology field invites constructive criticism and is willing to revise generally-held ideas.
HA HA HAH HAHA HAHHHA HAHHAHA HA HAH

Ahaha ha ha... ha... really.

LOL.

That was the second funniest thing I have read all day, next to the thing about eating the rabbit.

BTW, what is this generic "Religion" that I keep hearing referred to? Is it a person? Does it have a website?
__________________
"Humanity doesn't have the strength to remove the tombstone of its own making" Pope Pius XII
  #15  
Old Jan 30, '08, 12:04 am
Elric Elric is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 1, 2006
Posts: 912
Religion: Athiest
Default Re: In What Way Is APA Psychiatry a New Age Religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand View Post
That sounds very mushy and multicultural as if all belief systems were alike. Most psychiatrists are atheists. The Pope, in a World Day of the Sick message 2005 related that most mental illnesses are NOT biological but are ideological and that the use of medicines should be cut way back. He said the problem was separation from God.
That sounds similar to what some scientologists would say. No disrespect intended, but the comparison worries me.

I think that there is an issue with over-medicating or mis-medicating, but this is a bit excessive.

Quote:
I say that psychology is more than a system to treat disorders but a belief system, mostly agnostic/atheistic/secularist.
Then I would suggest that you take another look at it.

Quote:
Identifying this as a causal thing is fine as to say that one who has been in it doesn't know it for what it is. Could you say that you don't believe that atheism, say, causes social disorders and that psychologists don't teach this as a body of doctrine?
I am not really sure what you mean here.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussing contraceptives, but leaving out Religion hamburglar Moral Theology 25 Nov 4, '07 7:13 pm
Economist's Special Report on Religion Maranatha World News 0 Nov 4, '07 4:27 pm
Jehovah's Witnesse are the True Religion. Consider... jwtruth Non-Catholic Religions 101 Dec 21, '06 11:07 am
Are religion and education incompatible? Perry5 Ask an Apologist 1 Jan 28, '05 10:55 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8535Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5197CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4433Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3869SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3832Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: James_OPL
3391Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3299Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3150For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.