Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 30, '08, 9:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Teaching Children about Mortal Sin - how?

I'm not quite sure what forum to post this in - I didn't see one that really aligned well to "catechesis" (sorry if I missed it!).

Can anyone point me to a good commentary/explanation on how to explain mortal sin to 10-11 year olds? Aside from the 3 requirements of a mortal sin, I'm looking for examples of mortal sins, what sins could a 10-11 year old commit that would be mortal (a frequent question), etc. that I can share with a teacher who is struggling in this area. This teacher is telling her children that she can't think of a sin a child their age could commit that would be mortal, and for adults it all depends on the situation - there are no clear-cut mortal sins.
Old Jan 30, '08, 9:32 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Teaching Children about Mortal Sin - how?

Just explain to the children that a mortal sin is something seriously wrong, done on purpose, with full knowledge that it was wrong.

10-11 year olds can do things that are seriously wrong - they can be disrespectful towards parents and authority figures; they can steal valuable things from others; they can spread gossip; they can damage property; and they can be bullies.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jan 30, '08, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee View Post
I'm not quite sure what forum to post this in - I didn't see one that really aligned well to "catechesis" (sorry if I missed it!).
Can anyone point me to a good commentary/explanation on how to explain mortal sin to 10-11 year olds? Aside from the 3 requirements of a mortal sin, I'm looking for examples of mortal sins, what sins could a 10-11 year old commit that would be mortal (a frequent question), etc. that I can share with a teacher who is struggling in this area. This teacher is telling her children that she can't think of a sin a child their age could commit that would be mortal, and for adults it all depends on the situation - there are no clear-cut mortal sins.
Sure, do you own a catechism? If you don’t there’s an online version with a good search engine at: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
I wouldn’t just teach about mortal sin however, give your child a full education on sin, beginning with original sin. Read the material to be sure you understand prior to teaching them, ask a priest if you have questions.
There is also the compendium to the catechism:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/compen...um-ccc_en.html
The compendium has questions asked and answers, it might get you started.
Old Jan 30, '08, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
Just explain to the children that a mortal sin is something seriously wrong, done on purpose, with full knowledge that it was wrong.

10-11 year olds can do things that are seriously wrong - they can be disrespectful towards parents and authority figures; they can steal valuable things from others; they can spread gossip; they can damage property; and they can be bullies.
I can see the questions coming...."you mean if I'm disrespectful towards my parents it's a mortal sin - and if I don't ask God to forgive me and I happen to die in an accident I will go to hell?" How does a teacher answer that?
Old Jan 30, '08, 9:46 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee View Post
I can see the questions coming...."you mean if I'm disrespectful towards my parents it's a mortal sin - and if I don't ask God to forgive me and I happen to die in an accident I will go to hell?" How does a teacher answer that?
Just explain to them that God knows our hearts and knows that we are sorry (if we are) but that they still need to go to Confession, and they need to resolve not to behave that way any more.

In any case, it most likely won't occur to them that they could die and go to Hell. What they want to know is, "What do I need to confess so that I can go to Holy Communion?" It does not normally occur to children of that age that they could ever die.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jan 30, '08, 1:02 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

You need three things: the Baltimore Catechism, loving parental guidance and a wise confessor.

The BC is directed to children and is very clear on the nature of sin and the necessity of the Sacrament of Confession. Read it with your child (don't just make them read it) so that you can flesh out the explantions and answer questions. That will give them the solid building blocks. Don't rely on this, however as the child may either find it too abstract or develop scruples.

Find a wise confessor who will hear the child's confession and give them some guidance in developing perspective (make sure you have this in place before you teach them about sin and the need for Confession). The child may start out confessing every little thing, but he will learn by experience through gentle guidance what is and is not a mortal sin.

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics