Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 30, '08, 6:49 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Can I buy chrism oil?

I am a convert of nearly three years now and still remember will joy and love the smell of the chrism oil that was placed on my head that midnight mass. I've wanted for years to purchase some (or something that smells like it) but haven't found anything.

I don't want to purchase specifically blessed oil - but oil that smells like the Sacred Chrism oil. (I believe is has balsam in it.)

Does anyone know of a website or some other place that I could find it on? Or is this something I really should not even think to do? (As in, would it be disrespectful to have it around the house just to enjoy the scent?)

Thank you!
Old Jan 31, '08, 9:08 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can I buy chrism oil?

you can buy finest extra virgin olive oil. “Light” isn’t appropriate; you want the first press - its fullest form. This is a long link but it is a Napa Valley Vineyard where several Diocese's in California order theirs:

http://generalstore.longmeadowranch....t=products.asp

I would recommend you contact your Chancery or local parish and ask them what they purchase and do they add balsam (which gives the scent) or how do they mix their oil to make chrism.

Happy Hunting!
Old Jan 31, '08, 9:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_V View Post
I
I don't want to purchase specifically blessed oil - but oil that smells like the Sacred Chrism oil. (I believe is has balsam in it.)

!
no, the additives are mixed in during or just before the Chrism Mass when the oils are consecrated.

no you cannot buy a blest article in any case, nor can you buy the blessing attached.

there are plenty of ordinary oils, incense etc. on the market with the various scents, but it won't be Chrism, which becomes chrism only when the bishop consecrates it.
Old Jan 31, '08, 12:39 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

The additives still have to be bought, as you can view on the vineyard website--they do have discussions about which Diocese' buy the virgin oil...Having been a sacristan for over 2 decades, the oil and balsam, being prepared in the sacristy beforehand, are carried in solemn procession to the sanctuary after the Communion, and placed on a table. Then the balsam, held on a silver salver, is blessed, and similarly the olive-oil, which is reserved in a silver jar. After this the balsam is mixed with the oil. Then, the chrism, being perfected with a final prayer, receives the homage of all the sacred ministers present, making each a triple genuflection towards it, and each time saying the words, Ave sanctum chrisma. After the ceremony it is taken back to the sacristy, and distributed among the priests who take it away in silver vessels commonly called oil-stocks, what remains being securely and reverently guarded under lock and key.

Also, it was not my intention to have her understand that you can buy blessed articles, such as chalices, vestments, monstrances, any church goods, and relics, etc., you can only offer a donation for those items if they have been blessed already. I've gotten many relics from the Philippine Sisters' in their monastery in Rome -- with authenticity documents all for just a donation -- they do recommend a certain amount for each donation.

God Bless!
Old Jan 31, '08, 1:34 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Happily Catholic!

Go to this site, and scroll down to the Frankincense and Myrrh oil. It smells wonderful--just like Church incense! Also, it has been blessed by a priest, much like Holy Water, so it is a sacramental, and can be used just like Holy Water.
Old Jan 31, '08, 4:59 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quite an interesting site; interesting items; however, the spiritual object includes whatever is conducive to the eternal welfare of the soul, i.e. all supernatural things: sanctifying grace, the sacraments, sacramentals, etc. While according to the natural and Divine laws the term simony is applicable only to the exchange of supernatural treasures for temporal advantages, its meaning has been further extended through ecclesiastical legislation. In order to preclude all danger of simony the Church has forbidden certain dealings which did not fall under Divine prohibition. It is thus unlawful to exchange ecclesiastical benefices by private authority, to accept any payment whatever for holy oils, to sell blessed rosaries or crucifixes. Such objects lose, if sold, all the indulgences previously attached to them (S. Cong. Of Indulg., 12 July, 1847).

see Catholic Encyclopedia for above quote:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14001a.htm

Last edited by EZRyder; Jan 31, '08 at 5:08 pm. Reason: update information
Old Feb 1, '08, 6:52 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Happily Catholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRyder View Post
It is thus unlawful to exchange ecclesiastical benefices by private authority, to accept any payment whatever for holy oils, to sell blessed rosaries or crucifixes. Such objects lose, if sold, all the indulgences previously attached to them (S. Cong. Of Indulg., 12 July, 1847).
That is true. See the answer here on their FAQ page. You can email them if you have any more questions, but what they are doing is very licit and under the full knowledge of priests.
Old Feb 2, '08, 2:54 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakafrog View Post
That is true. See the answer here on their FAQ page. You can email them if you have any more questions, but what they are doing is very licit and under the full knowledge of priests.
On the other hand, my confrere and I visit costume shops, pawn shops and buy items that were discarded as churches were closed and give them to our parish priest or Bishop to use as they see fit; people didn't care what they did to get rid of vestments, sacrmanetals, etc. We've even bought traditional Roman Fiddlebacks, which will be popular again for the Extraordinary Mass. Some were being used to rent for plays, dances, costume parties.
Old Dec 22, '12, 1:57 pm
Observing Member

Yes you can
do a google search for essence of chrism
it is 78.00 a bottle and it will last you forever you dont even have to open the bottle it comes thru the top
wonderful

a gift from my priest

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence