Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 1, '08, 9:00 pm

Default Miscarriage & Insensitive Inlaws

In September, I delivered our dead son at 16 weeks gestation. We were blessed with many wonderful Catholic and Protestant friends, and our priest also was a strong source of support. We had a lovely funeral for him.

My problem is how to deal with my husband's non-Christian secular parents (mine are dead). When we called to ask them to help watch our three living children so I could go to the hospital, they told us they were "busy." My husband let it go but I was furious when I heard. When my husband asked if they intended to come to our son's funeral a week later, they said that they were no longer busy and could make it. I HATED having them there, because the moment the funeral was over, they were noticably thrilled. Even our priest and deacon said later that they found their "celebratory" mood inappropriate and surreal. My father in law was asking everyone if they'd like to go out for lunch and have some wine right after the funeral!!

In the past four months, I have been emotionally blundgeoned by these people, who find every excuse in the world to share details of their only daughter's first pregnancy with me. The daughter and I were initially due just three weeks apart, so every time there is an announcement about her pregnancy, it is like a knife to my heart. My mother in law actually visited two months after our son died with her daughter and repeatedly rubbed her belly in front of me and asked if we all wanted to read her online pregnancy report about how far along the baby was that week. I finally snapped when she told me she was going to e-mail me pictures of her daughter's profile!! I told her to please stop sharing this info with me, because it hurts. She seemed surprised. Within a few days, she was beginning conversations with "I know you said it hurts you to hear about XX's pregnancy, but..(insert lengthy detail here about pregnancy)." My only defense has been to ignore her calls.

I am now 2 weeks from my due date and crying almost every day in secret. I am angry at my husband for not protecting me more from his parents. I'm angry that he did not object to them not helping us during the delivery. I'm angry that these selfish, insensitive people should be so loved by our three older children and it kills me to hear them talk so lovingly about their grandparents.

I can only ask for prayers, because I know that and time are all that will help me. If someone can please pray for Dawn in VA, I would appreciate it.

-Dawn
Old Feb 1, '08, 9:32 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Miscarriage & Insensitive Inlaws

Dawn, I'm so sorry you're going through this and that your in-laws were so insensitive in a time when you need the most help. I lost my baby at 9 wks gestation 2 months ago and my family "tried" to be there but I got very bad comments and I know it hurts like heck when people in your own family don't help.

Yes, your husband should've said something, but maybe because they aren't Christian is why they act that way? If your MIL never lost a child, she doesn't understand how it feels to see and hear about other pregnant women. I still hurt a lot. In fact, yesterday I almost cried in front of a pregnant lady. I was in a vet's office talking to her and how she was almost 6 months pregnant and how happy she was, etc, and I almost began crying right there and then. I told her I had lost my baby 2 months ago, so she stopped talking about it.

Can I ask something? Is your husband Catholic? Did he convert? Could his parents feel some kind of resentment toward you since you're Catholic? That could be a reason for her rubbing her daughter's pregnancy on your face. Maybe she feels like you took her little boy away from her and does it on purpose? I know my ex-boyfriend's mom was like that and if I had married him and lost a baby she'd been the same way with me. She hated me.

Oh, and it's ok to cry. You shouldn't have to hide it. I heard anniversary dates are VERY hard. And these past 2 months, I've cried on the "month-aversary" of when I got in the car crash that took my baby's life and on the actual day I miscarried him.

You are in my prayers and send you many cyber ((((((HUGS)))))).
Old Feb 1, '08, 9:56 pm

Religion: Catholic

dear dawn,

you and your DH are in my thoughts and prayers as well as your baby. It's ok to cry and let it all out. Don't hide it. If your ILs can't deal with it, then it's ok to avoid them. They have no right to do what they are doing at all.

I am sending you a virtual hug to let you know that you are not alone in your grief.

God Bless,
Lisa
Old Feb 1, '08, 9:59 pm

Dawn, you are in my prayers. I'm sure I would feel exactly the same as you do if my in-laws behaved like that when we lost our baby two months ago. In fact it seems like the only normal reaction to have to such insensitive people. Continue to protect yourself from them and ignore calls, decline visits. Have a long talk with your husband and tell him how let down you feel; ask him to support you and protect you from these emotional barrages. Unbelievable!
Old Feb 1, '08, 10:26 pm

Dear Dawn, so sorry for your loss. I can relate--I lost our first baby in the 14th week.....it broke my heart. My relatives did not comprehend the pain in the least and made remarks and did things that hurt. I too felt tremendous grief at the grocery store when I saw any woman in the stage of pregnancy that I would be in if my baby had lived. I cried on my babys due date. It took a year to feel less pain. What really helped me thru the grief was joining a compassionate friends support group ( look up on the web for a local chapter) and going to a Catholic parish minister for support and just to talk out my pain. I also prayed the rosary daily and meditated on the agony in the garden. Forgiving others for they know not what they do was also an important way to heal.
It took years to release all my tears but it is important to cry all the tears and not hold them back.
It's been 20 years since my first baby died. Our consolation is that we will see her in heaven where she is safe and secure and waiting for us. I hope my sharing helps you on your journey thru grief.....Love in Christ,
Old Feb 2, '08, 4:59 am

I woke up this morning with a headache from crying so long last night, as I wrote my original message. But now I have tears from reading the responses on here. I'm so grateful for your prayers. And thank you all so much who have "been there." Part of what makes this so difficult is that I feel so lonely. My husband is wonderful, but he has admitted he simply isn't as devastated as me because I was the one who carried the child. Neither of my closest friends have ever gone through this and the wonderful women at our parish, while many of them have miscarried, are now busy raising their large families.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, hugs, and prayers. It is a sad thing when one feels like they need the support of strangers online because one can't get it in the family, but I thank God that I live in a time when I can reach out electronically to my brothers and sisters in Christ for help. And they respond.

In Christ,
Dawn
Old Feb 2, '08, 5:04 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

you are a nicer person than I. I would have written these folks out of my life after my baby's funeral, so I would hopefully not have had to endure the rest of the story.

Yes it is a sad fact that the prevailing culture of death has so far perverted the truth that a mother and family mourning a baby taken early in miscarriage are not even acknowledged in their grief. I think we know the underlying reasons for that thinking, and should direct our prayers to healing that reason.

praying for you and your family, even those who are planning for a new baby, in hopes your experience will make them value their own gift properly as a person, not a possession to be gloated over.
Old Feb 2, '08, 5:17 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Here's some news. You are still a mother and will always be a mother, only your child is already in heaven in the arms of Jesus waiting until you can hold him yourself.

http://www.unitegriefsupport.org/fil...ttersample.doc

http://www.aplacetoremember.com/griefhome.html

When you are ready, please go to these places I have provided above to help you in your grief.
Do not concern yourself with the fact that your in-laws do not understand your loss. Let it go, it's eating you alive more than you need at this time. Take care of yourself, lean on your husband, your friends and your faith. God is willing to hold you and the Blessed Mother has arms so wide and understands so well the loss of a child. You are in my prayers.
Old Feb 2, '08, 6:23 am
Prayer Warrior

Dear Dawn,

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. I am also sorry you have to deal with such insensitive inlaws during such a difficult time. It is okay to cry. You have nothing to hide. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
Old Feb 2, '08, 7:28 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmealey View Post
...I am angry at my husband for not protecting me more from his parents. I'm angry that he did not object to them not helping us during the delivery. I'm angry that these selfish, insensitive people should be so loved by our three older children and it kills me to hear them talk so lovingly about their grandparents....
This stood out to me. Make sure your husband knows that you want him to protect you from his parents. He has been dealing with these insensitive people all his life; he probably already learned coping mechanisms--like letting it go when they refuse to help him. I suspect he wants a relationship with his parents, so he takes what they offer on their terms and may not realize the effect that has on his wife and marriage. That stood out to me because I have had issues with my in-laws that has affected my relationship with my husband if we are not careful.

I am also in the situation where my own parents have died, and my husband's parents are the only living grandparents. (Also like you, I had a miscarriage, but my in-laws still don't know about it; we hadn't yet told them I was pregnant so we didn't share about the miscarriage.) We moved to a different state just to be near my in-laws because we wanted our children to know their grandparents. Honestly, I think most of my dissappointments arrise from my expectations that my in-laws will behave similar to my parents. They are nothing like my parents, but I am only recently realizing that and the implications of what that means.

My in-laws are the only living grandparents, and I expected and wished for more support from them in raising our children. I no longer wish for that--they have very different values than ours. My MIL and FIL are nominally Protestant, but in reality very secular. Once my babies outgrow the stranger anxiety for grandparents who live close but whom we rarely see, they idolize them for several years. I hope that my own children learn that grandparents deserve respect, love and some indulgence even when their values differ--because one day I might be a grandmother. But their idolization for their grandparents has not seemed to last--at least not with my older children. Without me saying anything negative about my in-laws, my teenagers notice that their values don't match ours. Your children will eventually notice both the grandparents actions and your reactions; your reactions will likely have greater impact on your children than their grandparents actions.

You don't have to like your in-laws. You don't even have to spend much time with them. If you haven't already asked your husband to protect you from their insensitivity, tell him if you want him to protect you from them. Let him be the one to make the phone calls or answer the phone when they call; let him visit them, etc. They are his parents, not yours; don't expect them to act like your parents.
Old Feb 2, '08, 8:52 am

Religion: Monotheist

I am so sorry for your loss, and it is a loss. I too lost a baby at 20 weeks. It was the worst time I ever remember.
But while I was grieving, my in laws were so happy, since we "didn't need another one anyway"
The best advice I got was to just walk away. I know it sounds silly, but I would just go to my room,or out to the car and just cry until I felt better, or just sit and find something to occupy my mind.
You do not have to sit there and take their abuse, you have the right to grieve and to cry.
I highly reccomend checking out the links someone gave. Being with others and having a chance to talk about it in a supportive enviroment is healthy.
Big hugs and lots of prayer .
Old Feb 2, '08, 9:59 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic (OblOSB)

Dear Dawn, I have nothing more to add - everyone here has given wonderful advice and I'm right there with them. I lost our first baby at 5 weeks and my university professors were more supportive than some of my family. I had some insensitive comments to deal with, as well.

Many, many prayers for you and your DH.

Old Feb 2, '08, 11:19 am

Religion: catholic

I have also buried two children who have died before their birth. I will keep you in my prayers. Due dates are so hard! It will get easier. The most surprising thing about burying a child is that your love for that child doesn't stop growing after that child dies. Just think how beautiful that child must be in heaven. I ask my babies to pray with me an for me always. God Bless and keep you close.
Old Feb 2, '08, 11:45 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Dawn, offering a prayer for you and your family. I pray God will bring you comfort and peace as you grieve your child. I'll also pray that He will open the eyes of your in-laws and soften their hearts.
God bless you and your family.

I'm guessing if you're Catholic then your parents may also have been? I don't know if it will helpat all, but maybe you can take comfort in knowing your beloved child is in the arms of your parents in Heaven, worshipping our Lord.
Old Feb 2, '08, 12:50 pm
Observing Member

Dawn
I've been there and done that. It's 4 years now and I carried our baby to 20 weeks (even though it died at 7 and no one would listen to me to make sure things were ok so it went unknown for months) and everyone still pretends it never happend. I truly feel your pain and sometimes that pain can rock you to your core. You need to confront your husband on this. I didn't do this and I still carry resentment towards my husband for not standing up for me. You need to let him know how you feel and you two need to work this out otherwise it will be the foundation of a wall between you. Please seek outside help as well. I hope you find peace with all of this. I'm still seeking mine.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life