Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 6, '04, 1:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Was Jesus really naked on the cross?

This is one Protestant claim against Catholicism; that our crosses have an image of Jesus on it, and He has a robe on him - therefore, our cross is supposedly incorrect and should not be recognized. Notice that their crosses do not have any image of Jesus. Was Jesus naked on the cross?
What is a good response to this Protestant objection?
Old Nov 6, '04, 1:53 pm

Default Re: Was Jesus really naked on the cross?

Actually Jesus is almost always pictured on the cross in a loincloth, not a robe. Even by reformation artists.

Matt 27:28 and Luke 10:30 state that the Roman soldiers "stripped" Jesus prior to the crucifixion. That may mean they took away all of his clothing, including his loin cloth. But not necessarily.

John 21:7 records another man who was stripped:

"Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, 'It is the Lord.' So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put his outer garment on (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea."

It is unlikely that Simon Peter was working completely in the nude. After all, there's a lot of sharp stuff on a fishing boat (ouch!). But a man wearing only a loincloth was until very recently considered to be naked.

If you ever get the opportunity, watch "The King and I" (yes the Yul Brenner film). When Anna and her son (proper English persons) first arrive at the seaport in Siam, they are shocked to see the dock workers in loincloths. The son says "look mommy, they're naked!" Well of course they were not naked in the 21st century sense of the word, but to 19th century sensibilities they were.

Now, after saying all this, I admit it is certainly possible that Jesus was completely naked on the cross. But I would not expect Him to be pictured that way on a crucifix, as it could be a stumbling block for adolescents and those adults with tender sensibilities. And we all know what awaits those who provide stumbling blocks! (cf Matthew 18:7)

Though we all understand the possible theological significance of nakedness in relation to recovering the innocence of mankind, I think it is downright silly to imply that the Catholic Church is wrong because most Catholic artists choose to put a loin cloth on the Savior. After all, there has never been a statement of Catholic doctrine about naked crucifixion one way or the other.

If these are the petty depths to which Protestants will sink to find fault with Catholicism, I feel truly sorry for them.

Grace to you, PMV.
Paul
Old Nov 6, '04, 1:54 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to alyssa

In my Latin classses, we were always taught those crucified were naked.
Old Nov 6, '04, 1:57 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMV
My response would be: You've got to be kidding.
Old Nov 6, '04, 1:57 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan

I think that Jesus was naked on the cross. I also think that he is shown with a loincloth so people looking at portraits of Jesus aren't distracted from his sacrafice.
Old Nov 6, '04, 2:09 pm

My understanding is that the the general Roman policy was to strip their crucified prisoners entirely nude, but that out of respect for Jewish sensibilities this was modified in Judea and the crucified were allowed to keep their loincloths. I'm sorry that I can't give a source for this, as it was a long time ago that I read it.
Old Nov 6, '04, 2:22 pm

Another idiotic argument by them to avert your attention from their real problems.

Big deal, the nails were probably through the wirsts.

If that is the focus of their objection, they will never be taken seriously.

Mike
Roman Catholic
Knights of Columbus
Old Nov 6, '04, 2:38 pm
Banned

Smile Re: Was Jesus really naked on the cross?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMV
This is one Protestant claim against Catholicism; that our crosses have an image of Jesus on it, and He has a robe on him - therefore, our cross is supposedly incorrect and should not be recognized. Notice that their crosses do not have any image of Jesus. Was Jesus naked on the cross?
## To His executioners He wold have been just another Jewish gallowsbird. There's no reason to suppose He would have been treated any better than other.

It was a cruel, bloody, obscene, humiliating, slow, disgraceful, and shameful method of execution reserved for the dregs of society, such as slaves and those who were not Roman citzens. He was lucky not to have a bear set loose upon him, as happened to a robber crucified in the Colosseum in 90 or so.

Crucifixion was not decorous, tidy, bloodless, nice, hygienic. His Love for us, and His obedience to His Father, is nowhere more apparent than in His readiness to suffer so horrible & degrading a form of death. The Cross was an an obscenity and a scandal 1900 years ago - it still is. That is why its shamefulness and its glory should never be diluted.

For more delightful facts about crucifixion, read the book by Martin Hengel. A strong stomach is needed.

I think He should be shown as He was, as nearly as we can know this. If people are shocked, that may do great good: for that is what He went through for us. Crucifixion was shocking, vile, disgraceful, senseless, when St. Paul preached a crucified Messiah: why should the Cross be sanitised now ?

If Christ Crucified could be preached by St. Paul, when crucifixion was still a fate with which low-class Christians might meet - it was not abolished until 315 - it is impossible to understand why we today should not hear and see an equally uncomfortable Gospel. A prettified, sanitised, inoffensive Gospel is no Gospel at all. ##

Last edited by Gottle of Geer; Nov 6, '04 at 2:51 pm.
Old Nov 6, '04, 6:11 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to mkw

I heard that Our Lady asked, and was given permission to use her vail to cover our Lords "private" area.
Old Nov 7, '04, 7:43 am

Religion: catholic

In the book "The Poem of the Man God" Maria Valtota also states that Mary used her veil.
Old Nov 7, '04, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMV
..... Was Jesus naked on the cross?
Does what He was wearing have any effect on what He did?
Old Nov 7, '04, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Andersen
Does what He was wearing have any effect on what He did?
You didn't include my whole statement in there; read it again, then it'll make sense.
Old Nov 7, '04, 12:20 pm

Don't worry, I read the whole thing.

No one was there with a camera or a sketchpad so we really don't know who was wearing what and my statement stands. (a) what makes it incorrect and (b) why would it matter.
Old Nov 7, '04, 12:40 pm

I don't think it really matters. I just wanted a response to a Protestant objection. It states that he definately was naked and the RC Cross has a statue of him "covered", so it is incorrect and wrong to have one of these crosses. I wished for advice on how to respond to this, I didn't say that Jesus's nakedness (or not) really mattered.
Old Nov 7, '04, 12:47 pm

I didn't say that you said it mattered

that would just be my response to your P friend
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics