Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 8, '08, 5:04 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Mormonism

PROS of being a mormon:

1. You can confidently claim anything (great apostasy; mark of cain; plural marriage; eternal progression; baptism of the dead; many gods and goddesses) without worrying about PROVING it, because mormons are the "the true church."

2. You can "retranslate" your "scripture" (the BoM and other soporific tomes) into "better" English as your theology changes.

3. Every man a priest, every man a god. Need I say more??

4. Wimmen are beholden to menfolk (we mormons rule planets!)

5. Always a job in SLC for tithing priests.

6. You can call yourself an "American Catholic" as if that term actually meant anything to anyone not from the mormon faith.

7. You get to call Jews "gentiles."

8. You can dabble in demonic and shady rituals in big bronze bowls. Oops, did I say 'demonic'?, I meant 'masonic.'

9. You can have Family Sunday, because you know those gentiles never do anything with their family.

10. You can play basketball at "services."

Hope this helps socrates

Robert
Old Feb 8, '08, 6:31 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: New Order Mormon
Send a message via AIM to Geocacher Send a message via Yahoo to Geocacher

There is a free support site for disbelieving mormons that still attend their wards with their families. They do this usually to avoid family troubles even though they have trouble with the Mormon Doctrine, and the site is at www newordermormon dot org
and there is a forum there.

New Order Mormon
Old Feb 9, '08, 12:13 pm
Banned

Religion: LDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates4Jesus View Post
I'm the kind who, when i make up my mind that something is the right course to pursue, stays on that path until i reach my destination or die trying. I've decided to seriously consider whether Mormonism is the right way for me.

Please tell me what you think is the best, strongest, most convincing reason to accept or reject Mormonism. More importantly, please tell me why. I'm hoping for a wide range of opinions pro and con.
Okay, Socrates. May I ask, just what did you gain from starting this rather silly and ridiculous thread?

zerinus
Old Feb 9, '08, 7:16 pm

Religion: Athiest

Pro: You dont have to think for yourself. You simply believe what you are told to, no matter how bizzare it sounds.

Pro: Its much easier to be a prophet. It doesnt matter if it doesnt come true, or we can fit events to suit your prophecy (even if they dont really fit).

Con: Apparently the belief is that God is falable. They are not false prophecies, God simply doesnt know what is going on when he gives the prophecies to his prophets.

Con: You will have difficulties with ancient Egyptian.
Old Feb 9, '08, 7:41 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJ View Post
Your underwear is the same as every other mormon. Pro: sitting in church, you know everyone is wearing the same underwear as you...fosters a community feeling.

Con:People do the "mormon underwear check"...looking for clues such as panty lines or shorts that are above the knee or sleeveless shirts...anyone not passing the underwear check are sending strong signals that they are on the road to apostasy. (Please pray for them.)
The temple garments have a distinctive neck-line (especially the men's). They call it "the eternal smile" and it shows through most white dress shirts. Garment-wearing Mormon men choose white shirts that are thin enough so that the eternal smile will show.

Every now and then, a member would whisper to me fondly "I see your eternal smile", meaning "I see you are one of us, a temple-worthy saint." It gave me the creeps.

Paul
Old Feb 10, '08, 8:45 am
Banned

Religion: Sitting on the fence at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Thank you Socrates, but please disregard that one about divorce. I have been corrected.

RAR
Done.

Pros and Cons of Mormonism:

Pros
  1. There is a strong social support system among active members of the Latter Day Saints Church.
  2. The LDS wards do a better job at creating a sense of belonging than some other religious groups.
  3. Mormons emphasize strong, close, loving family ties.
  4. The LDS welfare system to help those in need is without peer.
  5. There are many well-meaning, good Mormons out there and they make great relatives and neighbors.
  6. In exchange for obeying the leaders of the LDS church, you get the social safety net.
  7. Properly understood LDS theology is Biblical theology.
  8. There are numerous problems with the BOM that have been used to discredit it, but on the whole I believe the answers to the problems and the positive evidences weight strongly in favor of the BOM.
  9. Early Christian history offers much reason to see an “Apostasy of Authority” and to see a restoration of various doctrines found within the CoJCoLDS.
  10. The Bible supports the LDS view of the Trinity.
  11. The Bible teaches, and the early church acknowledges, that men can actually become gods.
  12. The small group with a mission status promotes community.
Cons
  1. Mormonism is not really a Christian religion.
  2. Mormons think they can become gods.
  3. There is absolutely zero linguistic, archaeological or historical support for anything claimed in the Book of Mormon and other LDS documents.
  4. Enjoyment of all that the community has to offer you socially and spiritually is contingent on you receiving a spiritual witness that the Church is true.
  5. They deny almost every line of the Apostle's Creed.
  6. There is absolutely no archaeological or historical evidence to back up anything that Joseph Smith ever uttered or wrote down.
  7. Joseph Smith was likely a conman who used a self-made papacy to garner power and sexual conquest.
  8. Racism is the prevalent attitude among LDS.
  9. There are cases in which people who depart from the church lose all their friendships.
  10. The Mormons require 10% of your money to enter the LDS Temple. If you don't pay them the 10% you aren't allowed to attend your children's weddings or any other weddings in the temple for that matter.
  11. If you don't pay them their 10% they claim you will not make it into heaven so essentially you are paying for salvation.
  12. The problem with Mormonism is the simple fact that it is pseudo-christian if that and it is polytheistic in nature.
  13. Mormons are no different from the Jehovah's Witnesses in how they warp the bible.
  14. The amount of control over your life that you must cede to LDS leaders is great: You are told how and when to serve.
  15. Your compliance with LDS rules will be monitored and your ability to participate in various functions will be affected. (If you don't show that you meet the criteria you will not be allowed in the temple for example.)
  16. There is absolutely no accounting for tithing money: It goes to Salt Lake City and is spent without letting members know where it goes.
  17. Joseph's vision seems to be weighted above Jesus' words.
  18. The continued revelation is at times historically contradictory.
  19. Divorce is encouraged if your partner leaves the LDS faith.
  20. Fallibility in moral character is allowable for prophets, for all have sinned. Fallibility in doctrinal utterances is inallowable. True prophets cannot utter false doctrine and remain prophets.
  21. Consider Brigham Young: He pronounced many false doctrines. If prophets can mistake speculation for doctrine, then how can they be trusted?
  22. While they oppose most abortions, Mormons don't believe in the sanctity of life of the unborn.
  23. The one, single, only and perfect reason to irrefutably, undeniably and totally reject mormonism can be summed up in the two most profound words: Holy Eucharist.
  24. LDS teachings are being disproven by science (for example, DNA evidence shows no Isrealite ancestory in Native Americans).
  25. They ban alcohol and caffine.
  26. At one time, they taught that men can marry more than one woman.
  27. Some Mormons are not nice.
Old Feb 10, '08, 8:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSeeker View Post
Soc. - that's quite a list you have there. I'd like to add some pros. I'm entering the Catholic Church next month, but I do see much value in the faith of my upbringing.

1) Church programs for kids are very good. The primary program provides a solid grounding in morals.
2) Recent survey research was conducted (I forget which university, but I can find a link and post it if you like) and showed that among all denominations, LDS teens engage in less premarital sex, drink less, attend church more, believe in God more, and have a greater degree of positive feelings toward parents.
3) The church, especially under the administration of the late Gordon B. Hinckley, has worked hard to mainstream its image and has deemphasized to a considerable degree the idea that mormons are a "peculiar people" (this was once a point of pride for mormons). This, to me, is a good thing. Some of the more esoteric and controversial doctrines pronounced by Joseph Smith have also been deemphasized, if not renounced, as part of this process. This has resulted in substantial bridge building with people of other faiths and mormons generally aren't viewed as odd nearly so frequently as in the past.

NS
I'll add those as well, New.

Pros
  1. There is a strong social support system among active members of the Latter Day Saints Church.
  2. The LDS wards do a better job at creating a sense of belonging than some other religious groups.
  5. There are many well-meaning, good Mormons out there and they make great relatives and neighbors.
  6. In exchange for obeying the leaders of the LDS church, you get the social safety net.
  8. There are numerous problems with the BOM that have been used to discredit it, but on the whole I believe the answers to the problems and the positive evidences weight strongly in favor of the BOM.
  9. Early Christian history offers much reason to see an “Apostasy of Authority” and to see a restoration of various doctrines found within the CoJCoLDS.
  11. The Bible teaches, and the early church acknowledges, that men can actually become gods.
  13. Church programs for kids are very good.
  14. LDS teens engage in less premarital sex, drink less, attend church more, believe in God more, and have a greater degree of positive feelings toward parents.
  15. The church, especially under the administration of the late Gordon B. Hinckley, has worked hard to mainstream its image and has deemphasized to a considerable degree the idea that mormons are a "peculiar people".
Cons
  3. There is absolutely zero linguistic, archaeological or historical support for anything claimed in the Book of Mormon and other LDS documents.
  4. Enjoyment of all that the community has to offer you socially and spiritually is contingent on you receiving a spiritual witness that the Church is true.
  6. There is absolutely no archaeological or historical evidence to back up anything that Joseph Smith ever uttered or wrote down.
  7. Joseph Smith was likely a conman who used a self-made papacy to garner power and sexual conquest.
  9. There are cases in which people who depart from the church lose all their friendships.
  10. The Mormons require 10% of your money to enter the LDS Temple. If you don't pay them the 10% you aren't allowed to attend your children's weddings or any other weddings in the temple for that matter.
  11. If you don't pay them their 10% they claim you will not make it into heaven so essentially you are paying for salvation.
  12. The problem with Mormonism is the simple fact that it is pseudo-christian if that and it is polytheistic in nature.
  13. Mormons are no different from the Jehovah's Witnesses in how they warp the bible.
  14. The amount of control over your life that you must cede to LDS leaders is great: You are told how and when to serve.
  15. Your compliance with LDS rules will be monitored and your ability to participate in various functions will be affected. (If you don't show that you meet the criteria you will not be allowed in the temple for example.)
  16. There is absolutely no accounting for tithing money: It goes to Salt Lake City and is spent without letting members know where it goes.
  20. Fallibility in moral character is allowable for prophets, for all have sinned. Fallibility in doctrinal utterances is inallowable. True prophets cannot utter false doctrine and remain prophets.
  21. Consider Brigham Young: He pronounced many false doctrines. If prophets can mistake speculation for doctrine, then how can they be trusted?
  22. While they oppose most abortions, Mormons don't believe in the sanctity of life of the unborn.
  23. The one, single, only and perfect reason to irrefutably, undeniably and totally reject mormonism can be summed up in the two most profound words: Holy Eucharist.
  24. LDS teachings are being disproven by science (for example, DNA evidence shows no Isrealite ancestory in Native Americans).
Old Feb 10, '08, 8:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Pro: LDS don't seem to take their faith for granted

If the LDS church becomes permanently established, I'd expect people may begin taking it for granted, but this is something I very much admire.
Done.

Pros
  14. LDS teens engage in less premarital sex, drink less, attend church more, believe in God more, and have a greater degree of positive feelings toward parents.
  15. The church, especially under the administration of the late Gordon B. Hinckley, has worked hard to mainstream its image and has deemphasized to a considerable degree the idea that mormons are a "peculiar people".
  16. LDS don't seem to take their faith for granted.
Cons
Old Feb 10, '08, 9:34 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majick275 View Post
I would add that mromonism is extremely ethnocentric. the promised land is america, the return of Christ will be in missouri, the "culture" of the LDS church is Utah. the chosen race is the tribe of joseph and of those Ephraim is "more chosen". it is predominantly led by white americans of north european/scandinavian descent.
Thanks for the addition, Majick. I'm assuming you believe this to be a con, as i would.

Pros
Cons
  28. Mormonism is extremely ethnocentric.
Old Feb 10, '08, 9:39 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsilence View Post
Hi Newseeker! God bless you!

(more on racism)

Regarding an 'Indian Placement Program', which was in place between 1954 and 1996, matching Native American children ("Lamanites") with LDS families, Spencer W. Kimball said this:

As a pro however, in 1978 as thirteenth Prophet and President of the LDS church, Spencer W. Kimball received a revelation from God that ALL worthy male members of the LDS church (including Blacks, who were previously denied ordination to the Priesthood due to skin color), should now be allowed to hold the Priesthood.
Thank you, Silence.

Pros
  17. Spencer W. Kimball said he received a revelation from God that ALL worthy male members of the LDS church (including Blacks, who were previously denied ordination to the Priesthood due to skin color), should now be allowed to hold the LDS Priesthood.
Cons
Old Feb 10, '08, 9:41 am
Banned

Question Re: Pros and Cons of Mormonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibkc View Post
This stuff is heartbreaking.
What is heartbreaking, ibkc?
Old Feb 10, '08, 9:44 am
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Pros and Cons of Mormonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by why me View Post
I agree. But when you read the site that I linked to, you will find that it is not so heartbreaking. Only the spin in this thread is heartbreaking.
WhyMe:

I hope you will point out to me and others where the spin is inaccurate after the list is complete.

Old Feb 10, '08, 9:54 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBurk View Post
When all is written about the pros and cons of Mormonism, there is only one fact that is important. Joseph Smith was a fraud as easily determined by looking at the evidence with regards to the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham. Even the Doctrine and Covenants witnesses against Joseph Smith. Joseph received revelations and compiled them in the Book of Commandments. A few years later they were republished in the Doctrine and Covenants with extensive and significant changes:

http://www.irr.org/mit/boc/

Joseph Smith could never get it right the first time.
Thanks again, Bart.

Pros
  17. Spencer W. Kimball said he received a revelation from God that ALL worthy male members of the LDS church (including Blacks, who were previously denied ordination to the Priesthood due to skin color), should now be allowed to hold the LDS Priesthood.
Cons
  29. Joseph Smith was a fraud. For example, he received revelations and compiled the Book of Commandments, but they were later changed in the Doctrine and Covenants.
Old Feb 10, '08, 9:57 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDupre View Post
Con: If you, Socrates4Jesus, are accustomed to praying to Jesus, you would not be permitted to continue the practice as a Mormon. Mormons are not allowed to pray to Jesus or to the Holy Ghost, nor are they permitted to worship them. They are allowed to pray only to the Heavenly Father.

Paul
That is good to know, PaulD. I wonder why they hold this doctrine?

Pros
Cons
  29. Joseph Smith was a fraud. For example, he received revelations and compiled the Book of Commandments, but they were later changed in the Doctrine and Covenants.
  30. Mormons are not allowed to pray to Jesus or to the Holy Ghost, nor are they permitted to worship them.
Old Feb 10, '08, 10:03 am
Banned

Unhappy Re: Pros and Cons of Mormonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJ View Post
Con: If you are mormon, if/when you marry that perfect mormon mate, in a mormon temple, none of your non-mormon family will be allowed to attend your wedding ceremony.

Those "unworthy" family members get to wait outside the mormon temple during the ceremony. After you have been married, and exit the temple together, your family can congratulate you.

As children cannot attend the ceremony either, your "unworthy" adult family member may wind up the babysitter of these children.
It must be difficult for families to experience this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions