Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 9, '08, 11:17 am
bpp85 bpp85 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2006
Posts: 85
Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

So I have an important question, I was raised in a jws family, but I realized that the Catholic Church is the right religion
But I’m really afraid for my family because they are still jws
I asked some Protestants and they said that jws can't be saved because they are not chosen, which made me really sad.
I don't want to go to heaven if my family is going to hell
So what do Catholics teach, can my family be saved outside of the church?

Thank you
  #2  
Old Feb 9, '08, 11:55 am
DannyHaszard DannyHaszard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 1, 2006
Posts: 24
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Good question the Watchtower organization is just a cult,like Jim Jones of Jonestown or David Koresh.

People have exited theses other cults,I myself was born Jehovah's Witness in 1957 and didn't see the light until 1992.

Best regards,Danny Haszard
  #3  
Old Feb 9, '08, 11:57 am
pete 29 pete 29 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2007
Posts: 4,154
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

With God, all things are possible.
__________________


Greed isn't wanting everything. It's wanting everything without earning it.
  #4  
Old Feb 9, '08, 12:03 pm
2ndGen 2ndGen is offline
 
Join Date: March 31, 2007
Posts: 2,797
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Yes...Romans 2.
  #5  
Old Feb 9, '08, 12:58 pm
Pete Holter Pete Holter is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2007
Posts: 1,013
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp85 View Post
So what do Catholics teach, can my family be saved outside of the church?
Thank you
No. For “outside the Church there is no salvation.” On the other hand, “God, in ways known to Himself, can lead those inculpably ignorant of the Gospel to find that faith without which it is impossible to please Him (Heb. 11:6)” (Ad Gentes, 7).

The faith “without which it is impossible to please Him” is the Catholic faith.

The Council of Constance, Session 8: “We learn from the writings and deeds of the holy fathers that the catholic faith without which (as the Apostle says) it is impossible to please God...”

The Council of Trent, in its Decree on Original Sin, also refers to “our Catholic faith, without which it is impossible to please God.” Because the Catholic faith that saves is a gift that is prompted by the prevenient grace of God and made saving in the sacrament of baptism, “which is the sacrament of faith, without which (faith) no man was ever justified” (Trent), a Jehovah's Witness would have to, before death, be joined to the Catholic Church through faith and by baptism.

And God is able to do this "in ways known to Himself" for those who are "inculpably ignorant". He can do this through the preaching of the Holy Spirit directly in the heart, through the Voice of the Spirit, the Word of God (cf. CCC para. 848). And when God does this, the person is no longer “outside the Church.”

Whether inculpably ignorant or not, Jehovah's Witnesses are, “objectively speaking,” in a “gravely deficient situation” (Dominus Iesus). So let us witness and pray, hope against hope, and never despair.

This is my understanding that the Lord has given me. May God bless you and your family. I will pray for you all.
  #6  
Old Feb 9, '08, 2:36 pm
excaliber excaliber is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 28, 2007
Posts: 912
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Jw's going to heaven would have to be based on there sincerity.

Because they are anti church, they are against any church. And they are very anti Catholic.
  #7  
Old Feb 9, '08, 3:00 pm
magisterfaust magisterfaust is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: January 2, 2008
Posts: 125
Religion: neo religious anarchist
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

[quote=DannyHaszard;3298818]Good question the Watchtower organization is just a cult,like Jim Jones of Jonestown or David Koresh.

People have exited theses other cults,I myself was born Jehovah's Witness in 1957 and didn't see the light until 1992.

Defenition of cult: System of religious worship; devotion or thing!!!!!! catholicsm could be defined as a cult. The word cult has become associated with a derogatory term for transient "fads", are the jehovah witness folk a transient fad, and can you seriously place them in the same league as Jim Jones and David Koresh?
  #8  
Old Feb 9, '08, 3:11 pm
magisterfaust magisterfaust is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: January 2, 2008
Posts: 125
Religion: neo religious anarchist
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

[quote=Pete Holter;3298983]No. For “outside the Church there is no salvation.”

I could have left all of the post in but this piece says rather alot. So a person who lives their life harming no one and helping those who are in need, and thier only "weakness" for want of a better word, is that they are not part of the catholic faith, cannot recieve salvation. surely God has more compassion than that?
And as for the bit about being inculpably ignorant of the gospels, then in the compassion stakes... I rest my case!!!
  #9  
Old Feb 9, '08, 3:57 pm
bpp85 bpp85 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2006
Posts: 85
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by magisterfaust View Post
I could have left all of the post in but this piece says rather alot. So a person who lives their life harming no one and helping those who are in need, and thier only "weakness" for want of a better word, is that they are not part of the catholic faith, cannot recieve salvation. surely God has more compassion than that?
And as for the bit about being inculpably ignorant of the gospels, then in the compassion stakes... I rest my case!!!
As i understand it, the Catholic Church says that salvation is possible outside of the church if the person is sincere, just like a person can be saved without baptism, then it's called baptism by desire, so this can be salvation by desire or something
If i'm wrong other catholics can correct me
And in my experience i think that protestants have less compassionate salvation, my protestant friend told me that mentally ill people go to hell, what would you say to that
  #10  
Old Feb 9, '08, 4:07 pm
magisterfaust magisterfaust is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: January 2, 2008
Posts: 125
Religion: neo religious anarchist
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

bpp85; That about the protestants I didn't know, thanx for that one. I happen to work with people with mental health issues and disabilities and I find the notion that the protestants hold such an abhorent view on the subject of mental illness. It may appear that i am having a pop at the catholic faith, and this is not my intention.
  #11  
Old Feb 9, '08, 6:25 pm
Syele Syele is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 8, 2006
Posts: 2,473
Religion: Christian
Send a message via MSN to Syele Send a message via Yahoo to Syele Send a message via Skype™ to Syele
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp85 View Post
I asked some Protestants and they said that jws can't be saved because they are not chosen, which made me really sad.
Not all Protestants would agree with the ones you asked. In fact, I think most would not. Calvinist protestants might say that but generally they believe that if a JW was to be Saved that God would make it happen before their death. The Arminian Protestants believe that anyone can be saved, with God all things are possible.
__________________
The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before. - Thorstein Veblen (1857 - 1929)
  #12  
Old Feb 9, '08, 9:24 pm
DannyHaszard DannyHaszard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 1, 2006
Posts: 24
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by magisterfaust View Post
and can you seriously place them in the same league as Jim Jones and David Koresh?
Cult Help and Information - Cult or Ministers of God? by David ...In fact, Jehovah's Witnesses are a deadly cult. A single sentence in the February 15, 1994 Watchtower article admits
http://www.culthelp.info/index.php?o...d=311&Itemid=8

Know this.. far more men,women,children have died from the Watchtower cult's deadly flip-flopping bogus man made blood transfusion ban then died at Waco and Jonestown combined.

I was THERE born JW in 1957 got bleeding severe Ulcerative Colitis at age 13 in 1970 in and out of hospitals and nearly died many times confronted with the JW 'blood issue.So,I am not just a JW basher I am a Watchtower cult victim of their twisted dogmas.

Thank you,Danny Haszard
  #13  
Old Feb 10, '08, 3:44 am
bpp85 bpp85 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2006
Posts: 85
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syele View Post
Not all Protestants would agree with the ones you asked. In fact, I think most would not. Calvinist protestants might say that but generally they believe that if a JW was to be Saved that God would make it happen before their death. The Arminian Protestants believe that anyone can be saved, with God all things are possible.
I know that all protestants don't believe that, i said that my protestant friends told me that my family is going to hell because they are not chosen and they told me that they believe that mentally ill people go to hell because of original sin and because they can't accept Jesus.
  #14  
Old Feb 10, '08, 4:40 am
Special Ed Special Ed is offline
 
Join Date: June 22, 2007
Posts: 171
Religion: mostly catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Holter View Post
No. For “outside the Church there is no salvation.” On the other hand, “God, in ways known to Himself, can lead those inculpably ignorant of the Gospel to find that faith without which it is impossible to please Him (Heb. 11:6)” (Ad Gentes, 7).

The faith “without which it is impossible to please Him” is the Catholic faith.

The Council of Constance, Session 8: “We learn from the writings and deeds of the holy fathers that the catholic faith without which (as the Apostle says) it is impossible to please God...”

The Council of Trent, in its Decree on Original Sin, also refers to “our Catholic faith, without which it is impossible to please God.” Because the Catholic faith that saves is a gift that is prompted by the prevenient grace of God and made saving in the sacrament of baptism, “which is the sacrament of faith, without which (faith) no man was ever justified” (Trent), a Jehovah's Witness would have to, before death, be joined to the Catholic Church through faith and by baptism.

And God is able to do this "in ways known to Himself" for those who are "inculpably ignorant". He can do this through the preaching of the Holy Spirit directly in the heart, through the Voice of the Spirit, the Word of God (cf. CCC para. 848). And when God does this, the person is no longer “outside the Church.”

Whether inculpably ignorant or not, Jehovah's Witnesses are, “objectively speaking,” in a “gravely deficient situation” (Dominus Iesus). So let us witness and pray, hope against hope, and never despair.

This is my understanding that the Lord has given me. May God bless you and your family. I will pray for you all.
There is no salvation in the Catholic church or any church.

There is salvation in no other than the blood of Christ.
The council of constance or trent are secondary to the Word of God.

SE
  #15  
Old Feb 10, '08, 8:03 am
justinthemartyr justinthemartyr is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 26, 2007
Posts: 886
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Can Jehovah's witnesses be saved

a Jehovahs witness can be saved, yes. Through their own ignorance of truth and knowing no different, yet following God's will to the best of their ability. There is a possibility of salvation. This would mean that in some implicit way, this person would be part of the Body of Christ and therefore part of the Catholic church, implicitly. There is no salvation outside of the church.
__________________
I-SCULPT-FOR-GOD

Last edited by justinthemartyr; Feb 10, '08 at 8:04 am. Reason: c
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on Once Saved Always Saved Mr. Ex Nihilo Non-Catholic Religions 84 Jan 10, '07 11:10 am
Jehovah's Witnesses marriage questions GoLatin Non-Catholic Religions 8 Dec 22, '06 9:49 am
Jehovah's Witnesses and 1 Peter 3:18-19 Subrosa Non-Catholic Religions 16 Mar 1, '06 4:10 pm
Jehovah's Witnesses Holly3278 Non-Catholic Religions 18 Nov 26, '05 8:49 am
Correctly interpreting verses used to support Arianism and Jehovah's Witnesses RichSpidizzy Apologetics 10 Jun 4, '05 7:06 am


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8307Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Carlos1994
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4361Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3617Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3213Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: tina777
3205Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3071For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.