Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 8, '04, 8:44 am

Exclamation Emotional Affair = Adultery?

I don’t understand why the Church seems to be silent on emotional affairs between a married person and an unmarried person. I have yet to find anywhere a condemnation of an “emotional affair” anywhere in Catholic circles.

As I understand it, adultery, as defined by the Church, must involve sexual relations. The Church seems to minimize the fact that Jesus said that looking lustfully after a woman is adultery.

The widespread use of instant messaging and chat room discussions has sharply increased the amount of people involved in emotional affairs.

I ask this question because my wife got emotionally involved with another man she met offline, and gave up on our troubled marriage.

She did bring this to the attention of two priests, a Legionnaires of Christ (LOC) Priest, and her parish priest (who did the old "mercy of god" and "you shouldn't suffer with this" spiel). Both told her that they could only be friends, and that she should treat him as any other brother in Christ.

She was told that it’s not sinful, for example, for a priest to be attracted to woman, which is true. But what priests are supposed to do is not cultivate those attractions/desires.

The priests failed to understand that the foundation of their friendship was not Christ but desire of heart and flesh. As a result of this advice, my wife continues to:
  • Confide in him
  • Plan for their future
  • Tell him she loves him and can’t wait to start their new life together
  • Accepts flowers, jewelry (heart pendant) and gifts from him
  • Spend holidays, such as Christmas, out of town and overnight with him
  • Gives him her emotional fidelity
This behavior is not behavior she does with other single Christian men she knows.

This “friendship” has done nothing but cultivate the emotional affair instead of ending it.

Our divorce will soon be finalized. Though divorce has tangible impact on our lives, it has no impact whatsoever on the fact that we are still validly married until proven otherwise.
Non-christians often date during separation and divorce, and this is the way of the flesh. Yet Christians shouldn't follow the world and the flesh but the way of Christ. WWJD?

Yet this flies in the face of communion with Rome. Canon law favors the presumption of the validity of marriage. Yet the prevailing attitude seems to be favoring the presumption that the marriage is invalid till proven otherwise.

Where Rome has failed me and countless others is in not condemning emotional affairs. It’s given priests permission to allow the cultivation of these affairs through continual “friendship”.

I think if Rome was to speak out on emotional affairs, our situation would be much different.
Finally, the whole thing essentially in the end will reward her behavior by allowing her to remarry. IMO, the church should ban marriage between two people who were involved with each other in such a fashion, even if an anullment was granted. I guarantee you that there will be far less anullments!

Last edited by 1stFreedom; Jun 8, '04 at 8:48 am. Reason: bad html in title
Old Jun 8, '04, 9:00 am

Default Re: Emotional Affair = Adultery?

What are your thoughts?
Old Jun 8, '04, 9:06 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Re: Emotional Affair = Adultery?

I found at least two references in the Catechism that could be applied:

CCC 2380 "Christ condemns even adultery of mere desire" which refers to "You have heard that it was said 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already commtted adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:27-28

CCC 2387 "The covenant which spouses have freely entered into entails faithful love. It imposes on them the obligation to keep their marriage indissoluble."

Seems to me your wife has violated these teachings. You cannot be faithfully committed to your marriage and keeping it indissoluble if you are having intimate conversations with another man and planning your future with him.

I am sorry for your pain and frustration! You are in my prayers.
Old Jun 8, '04, 9:18 am
Book Club Member

Unhappy Re: Emotional Affair = Adultery?

I think that an EA DOES qualify as adultery. Most people. clergy or not, don't seem to have the same opinion-possibly because they have nerver THOUGHT about the subject before. All they really have to do is think about where it eventually leads the person.

I don't know exactly what the church teaches regarding EA's- Personally, I think that there should be more preaching/teaching about this and adultery in general. Where are people going to hear this stuff is WRONG? Movies? Media? TV? HA! Our secular culture is not marriage friendly. Some people who should know better simply don't.

You said your divorce was not final yet. Have you tried Retrouvaille? It is a marriage encounter for people in troubled marriages. I have been through the program and it has been good for us. I'm so sorry you have had to go through this. You & your wife will be in my prayers.
Karen
Old Jun 8, '04, 9:30 am

I agree with much of what you are saying. I think you wife goes way beyond the bounds of what would be considered simply friendship. But I find it troubling that you want to place blame on the church. I think the church teachings are very clear based solely on what has been pointed out already in the Catechism. Your wife seems to be doing what so many people try to do and that is to look for your own meaning in the teachings. It's like the pro-abortion polititians who say "The Church tells me I'm allowed to follow my conscience".
I have worked on the telephones in a tax office and we always get a laugh from people who call in with a tax question, they get an answer they don't like and call back a little latter with basically the same question but the "facts" are just a little different. Some will continue until the get the right set of "facts" to get the answer they are looking for. The IRS will eventually sort it out to determine the real facts.
People will do the same with priests, they will ask one get what is probably a good answer which they don't like and ask another with slightly different "facts" and they say "Well I asked a priest and he told me it was ok". These folks are dillusional because of course God knows the real facts.

(Don't anyone be accusing me of equating the IRS with God, it's only the IRS really think they are God not me )
Old Jun 8, '04, 9:51 am

>>CCC 2380 "Christ condemns even adultery of mere desire" which refers to "You have heard that it was said 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already commtted adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:27-28

The problem with this passage is desire is viewed in terms of carnal lust (Ie, one want's to have relations). It does not, IMO, beyond a shadow of a doubt, condemn an emotional affair. After all, if there isn't physical lust, but emotional dependency, it's not carnal desire.

From what I gather, my wife and her priest views this as ok since as long as she doesn't carnally lust after him, she isn't committing adultery.

CCC 2387 "The covenant which spouses have freely entered into entails faithful love. It imposes on them the obligation to keep their marriage indissoluble."

But still, this does not forbid emotional affairs!

This is my point. It absolutely needs to be in black and white. Since it's not, it's not broadly accepted that an emotional affair is wrong. To you and I it may be obvious, but remember that if something is not explicitly defined, then it can be debated for eternity with both sides having some valid points.

There should be no confusion on this whatsoever, but since Rome has yet to address it directly, it's muddy.
Old Jun 8, '04, 10:42 am

Though it is not adultery It still goes against the commandments, though shalt not covet thy neighbors wife. And that would include emotionaly as well wouldn't it!

I'm Praying for you.

Peace and God Bless
Old Jun 8, '04, 12:39 pm

St. Agustine..

"Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife," is the only one which thy false doctrine does not oblige thee to break. But if it is unlawful to covet our neighbor's wife, what must it be to excite covetousness in others?
Old Jun 8, '04, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFreedom
As a result of this advice, my wife continues to:[/size][/font]
  • Confide in him
  • Plan for their future
  • Tell him she loves him and can’t wait to start their new life together
  • Accepts flowers, jewelry (heart pendant) and gifts from him
  • Spend holidays, such as Christmas, out of town and overnight with him
  • Gives him her emotional fidelity
This behavior is not behavior she does with other single Christian men she knows.

I am not exactly answering your question, but word to the wise. I think your wife has gone past the "emotional" affair. To be blunt, not many people spend holidays overnight together & nothing sexual takes place. There is a chance, but it is probably very small. She knows what she's doing is wrong, she just doesn't care. The excitement & thrill of something new has her fooled.

Yes, you are still married in the eyes of the church, but please be sure your attorney knows all the facts here. It is not against Church teaching to do what you must to defend/protect yourself/keep another from fleecing you in a court of law.

Pray, pray, pray....& I hope you are talking to YOUR priest about this, too.
Old Jun 8, '04, 10:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFreedom
She did bring this to the attention of two priests, a Legionnaires of Christ (LOC) Priest, and her parish priest (who did the old "mercy of god" and "you shouldn't suffer with this" spiel). Both told her that they could only be friends, and that she should treat him as any other brother in Christ.

She was told that it’s not sinful, for example, for a priest to be attracted to woman, which is true. But what priests are supposed to do is not cultivate those attractions/desires.
It's impossible to know if your wife is quoting the priest accurately, but it's possible. If so, he really dropped the ball. The Church does teach that we must avoid the near occasion of sin -- that is part of the act of contrition. I saw a commercial for some stupid show on which lovers "test" their love by going on romantic outings with other people. My thought was, "You idiots! Of course if you go to a romantic place with someone of the opposite sex, you might have romantic feelings!"

Your wife should not have been "chatting" with someone once she realized she was having these feelings. The relationship should have been cut off. We do not need to maintain all relationships.
Old Jun 9, '04, 11:13 am

I think that the emotional adultery is worse that the physical act. The marriage vows indicate that you will forsake all others. I would hope that doesn't just mean physically.
Old Jun 9, '04, 11:35 am

Seek a doctrinally sound spiritual advisor. You have brought a very emotional and painful subject I and don't think scouring Church documents looking for a rational, crushing response to whomp her or the flaky priests over the head with is going to alleviate the hurt.

God bless!

Scott
Old Jun 9, '04, 11:58 am

Religion: Catholic (orthodox...faithful to the Magesterium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi
I found at least two references in the Catechism that could be applied:

CCC 2380 "Christ condemns even adultery of mere desire" which refers to "You have heard that it was said 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already commtted adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:27-28

Seems to me your wife has violated these teachings. You cannot be faithfully committed to your marriage and keeping it indissoluble if you are having intimate conversations with another man and planning your future with him.

I am sorry for your pain and frustration! You are in my prayers.
Ditto. Plus:

9. THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE. Commands: purity in thought and desire.
Forbids: unchaste or impure thoughts, desires of another's wife or husband, and all other unlawful impure thoughts and desires.
Old Jun 9, '04, 1:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana27
I think that the emotional adultery is worse that the physical act. The marriage vows indicate that you will forsake all others. I would hope that doesn't just mean physically.
As a married man, I don't think I could say it's worse. Both are terrible, but the physical act would be much harder to forgive.
Old Jun 11, '04, 9:59 pm

>>>As a married man, I don't think I could say it's worse. Both are terrible, but the physical act would be much harder to forgive.Hmm, I'm not sure about that.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life