Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 14, '08, 12:41 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Where in the Bible does it say to not eat meat on Friday's of Lent?

I abstain from eating meat on Fridays of Lent because the Church tells me to and for penance as well but I have a friend, who asks me "where does it say in the Bible that you're not suppose to eat meat on Friday's? and I don't know what to answer her. Does it say anywhere in the Bible not to eat meat during Lent time?
Old Feb 14, '08, 12:51 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Where in the Bible does it say to not eat meat on Friday's of Lent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaElizabeth View Post
I abstain from eating meat on Fridays of Lent because the Church tells me to and for penance as well but I have a friend, who asks me "where does it say in the Bible that you're not suppose to eat meat on Friday's? and I don't know what to answer her. Does it say anywhere in the Bible not to eat meat during Lent time?
While this isn't exactly the explanation the Church would give to Catholics, it might be one that a Bible-only literalist might understand:

As Christians we are called to imitate Catholic. During Lent, we try to remind ourselves of Christ's time in the desert and the fast/abstaining is just a further reminder.

Or,

Christ called us to deny ourself for Him. This is just another way that I choose to do it.

Like Christ didn't reveal He was God until His disciples were ready to understand, your friend might not be in frame of mind to understand a full Catholic explanation.
Old Feb 14, '08, 12:52 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
No. What it says in the Bible is that Jesus passed His authority to the Apostles, and that what they bind on earth is bound in Heaven, and what is loosed on earth is loosed in Heaven. (Matthew 18:18)

The Apostles in their turn passed this authority on to their successors, who are the Bishops of the Catholic Church, and especially the Pope. (This is a matter of historical record - we can trace back the history of our Church all the way back to the Apostles, and through the Apostles of course, back to Jesus, when, as we see recorded in Matthew 16:18-19, He founded His Church upon the Apostle Peter.)

So, when the Pope and the Bishops tell us to abstain from meat on the Fridays of Lent, they are simply making use of the authority that Jesus gave to them, for our spiritual benefit.

I hope this helps you.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Feb 14, '08, 12:53 pm

There are mentions of fasting in general many times, but none of the specific. In fact the current teachings are liberalised as they used to apply every Wednesday and Friday and include more banned foods and I believe ban food before sunset on those days. The earliest mention of fasting on those days is in the Didache, which is earlier than most of the New Testament
Old Feb 14, '08, 12:58 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

By the solemn forty days of Lent the Church unites herself each year to the mystery of Jesus in the desert.
CCC Catechism of the Catholic Church #540 pg 138

Church-unites-Jesus

All much less than what Jesus endured.

I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Through Him, With Him, and In Him
Old Feb 14, '08, 1:36 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

It boils down to this: Does the Church have the authority to declare seasons or days of fasting, and how they are supposed to be observed?

Or not?
Old Feb 14, '08, 1:40 pm

Religion: Searching for truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
No. What it says in the Bible is that Jesus passed His authority to the Apostles, and that what they bind on earth is bound in Heaven, and what is loosed on earth is loosed in Heaven. (Matthew 18:18)

Wait a second.

So does that mean that Jesus said the Church can do ANYTHING and the people would have to abide by it...otherwise they're damned to Hell?
Old Feb 14, '08, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Moi View Post
Wait a second.

So does that mean that Jesus said the Church can do ANYTHING and the people would have to abide by it...otherwise they're damned to Hell?
No, it does not mean that. Why do you think it does?
Old Feb 14, '08, 1:45 pm

Religion: Searching for truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
No, it does not mean that. Why do you think it does?
Well, it sure gives me that feeling. It thinks that everyone has to do this and that otherwise, "good-bye to you".
Old Feb 14, '08, 1:47 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Where does it say in the bible how to tie your shoelaces? Nowhere. And yet, we all learn how to tie our shoelaces! Amazing.

Where does it say in the Bible to go to Church on Wednesday nights? Nowhere. And yet millions of Baptists trot off to services every Wednesday night despite the fact that it's not in the Bible.

The early Church community decided on acts of penance such as fasting and abstaining from meat. Christ gave the Church the authority to make these types of decisions.

Don't let your friend concern you at all. Your friend lacks a 2000 year old link to the historical practices of the Church. You do not. You need to understand that nowhere in the Bible is it written that everything Christians do is in the Bible.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 14, '08, 2:10 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Wait a second.

The Church is also protected by the Holy Spirit from officially teaching or commanding anything harmful, or anything that is not true, so although it is true that we would certainly go to Hell for disobeying the Church, the Church is never going to teach us or command us to do anything that would be harmful for us, spiritually.

This promise is given by Christ in Matthew 16:19 - "the gates of Hell shall not prevail," and also in John 14, which speaks in more detail about the role of the Holy Spirit in the Church.

Old Feb 14, '08, 2:22 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Well, it sure gives me that feeling. It thinks that everyone has to do this and that otherwise, "good-bye to you".
Do you always jump to conclusions based on your feelings?
Old Feb 14, '08, 2:24 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionthehunter View Post
Do you always jump to conclusions based on your feelings?
I don't think he is basing this on his feelings, so much as on the plain sense of the text.

Old Mar 21, '14, 8:46 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Where does it say in the bible how to tie your shoelaces? Nowhere. And yet, we all learn how to tie our shoelaces! Amazing.

Where does it say in the Bible to go to Church on Wednesday nights? Nowhere. And yet millions of Baptists trot off to services every Wednesday night despite the fact that it's not in the Bible.

The early Church community decided on acts of penance such as fasting and abstaining from meat. Christ gave the Church the authority to make these types of decisions.

Don't let your friend concern you at all. Your friend lacks a 2000 year old link to the historical practices of the Church. You do not. You need to understand that nowhere in the Bible is it written that everything Christians do is in the Bible.
Old Mar 21, '14, 9:18 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic, Carmelite OCDS

On EWTN's "Web of Faith" Saturday, the priests discussed the former practice of the Church NOT to give absolution for sins UNTIL the penitent had performed all of their penance, which could last for years! We are so very blessed to have these very small opportunities to unite with the entire Body of Christ, sacrificing in atonement for our sins (which is really not much of a sacrifice to abstain from meat one day per week).

As for being biblical, Jesus taught that unless we do penance, we will surely perish. It is a mandate, yet the Church does not impose great penances upon us that would be difficult to perform. Voluntarily, we may choose to do more, but this is the very minimum that is asked of us.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics