Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 18, '08, 12:29 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Fasting while on my period?

Hi everyone. Please excuse me, I really don't know where to post this.

I'm not 18 yet so I have never fasted.
My Church is doing a 24-hour fast for teens and I'd really like to participate, except I might begin my period somewhere around that day (or maybe on that day!) However, my periods are unpredictable and always come earlier or later than they should be. But supposing I do have my period on that certain day we will be fasting, should I still participate? Will it be okay both physically and spiritually?

We will be consuming liquids, if it makes a difference

Advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks & God bless!

"It is nice to be important. But it is more important to be nice"

Old Feb 18, '08, 4:23 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Fasting while on my period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uknowhoo View Post

My Church is doing a 24-hour fast for teens and I'd really like to participate, except I might begin my period somewhere around that day (or maybe on that day!) However, my periods are unpredictable and always come earlier or later than they should be. But supposing I do have my period on that certain day we will be fasting, should I still participate? Will it be okay both physically and spiritually?

Thanks & God bless!
Sorry for being an ignorant man but what does a woman's period have to do with fasting?
Old Feb 18, '08, 4:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Sorry for being an ignorant man but what does a woman's period have to do with fasting?
Because of the blood loss you can get really weak. Also, you have to make sure you take in sufficent iron somehow to guard against anemia. I think the OP is worried that fasting might exacerbate an already weakened state.
Old Feb 18, '08, 4:46 am

Religion: catholic

I have been getting my period for 43 years and I never recall ever feeling weak from not eating...from cramps and headaches yes. If you must, expalin the situation from the youth minister and bring some fruit or crackers. One idea would be to take some extra iron the days before, or eat a lot of red meat, to build up your iron stores if it is a problem for you

Last edited by Joannm; Feb 18, '08 at 4:49 am. Reason: correction
Old Feb 18, '08, 4:47 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

If there's a medical issue that you have (like excessive blood loss during a period that makes you physically weak already, or something else like the flu), then no, you're not required to fast. If the blood loss makes you weak, then you can offer that up instead of fasting.

O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Tiber Swim Team '07-'08
Old Feb 18, '08, 5:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Hi But supposing I do have my period on that certain day we will be fasting, should I still participate? Will it be okay both physically and spiritually?

!
yes it has no bearing, obviously bring whatever you may need along in your purse or backpack. I am worried about why you might think this would be a problem, because it makes me think someone has been feeding you false informaion.
Old Feb 18, '08, 7:40 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Thanks & God bless!

Have you ever dieted when you had your period?

Will the liquids contain calories or is it just plain water/tea/coffee kind of thing?

Unless you have other health issues it will/should not be a problem.
Old Feb 18, '08, 8:04 am

If you've ever had problems on your period with blood sugar/fainting/etc. then you might want to allow yourself an "out" if you feel seriously faint. Ordinarily, though, there's no physical reason why a menstruating woman can't fast.
Old Feb 18, '08, 11:31 am
Banned

Quote:

Thanks & God bless!
The best person to talk to about this would be your Physician. Our bodies are Temples Of The Holy Spirit, and not to be damaged by over-fasting or fasting when inappropiate. (Big Time OPINION.)

My opinion is that it is OK to be hungry when fasting. But one should still be able to function, without mental impairment or physical weakness. Again, talk with your Physician, and maybe also with your Priest or Spiritual Director or whoever.
Old Feb 18, '08, 11:38 am
Forum Elder

Quote:

Thanks & God bless!
Yes, you will be fine. I assume they will be giving you fruit juice to drink; fruit juice is a good meal replacement, in the short term. The fast is only 24 hours, so you should be just fine.

And I am also assuming that the fast will be no longer than 24 hours - that they are planning to give you something to eat at the end of the event.

We are doing a similar event with our teens next weekend.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Feb 18, '08, 1:19 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Spiritually, I don't see a problem. Us womenfolk are not considered ritually "unclean" by the Church when Aunt Flo is visiting.

I have issues with fasting around that time of the month though. I bleed excessively and I basically can't afford to give up the nutrition. I actually can't donate blood because of this problem as well.

If you have physical issues, well other posters have covered that better than I could. But don't worry about the spiritual part.
Old Feb 18, '08, 1:54 pm

Thanks you guys
I just wanted to make sure

God bless!

Oh, yes- we will be drinking water and juice.

"It is nice to be important. But it is more important to be nice"

Old Feb 18, '08, 2:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Thanks you guys
I just wanted to make sure

God bless!

Oh, yes- we will be drinking water and juice.
I drink a quart of non-fat milk daily, fasting or not. I need the calcium, being at elevated risk for osteoporosis
Old Feb 18, '08, 2:43 pm
Book Club Member

I have always been very hungry and thirsty at that time of the month, and when young I got really bad cramps, so i was screaming and in a cold sweat tfor three days and dizzy for a few more. Trial and error taught me that the key was nutrition, fresh air, moderate exercise, fiber and plenty of fluids. Even a few hours could make a difference back then. Young folks are resilient, true, but their metabolisms are so fast. She should not be afraid to challenge herself IMHO, but be cautious about hurting herself. Every woman is different, and never more so than while changing. A girl's body is still growing into a woman's body until sometime in the 20's and a girl and a woman are very different packages of chemicals. Her chemistry is going through many adjustments all the time.
Ár n-athair, atá ar neamh, Go naofar d'ainm. Go tdaga do riocht.Go ndéantar do thoil ar an talamh, Mar dhéantar ar neamh. Ár n-arán lathiúl tabhair dúinn inniú, Agus maith dúinn ár bhfiacha, Mar mhaithimid dár bhfeichiúnaithe féin. Agus n'a lig sinn I gcathú, ach saor sinn ó olc. Amen.
Old Feb 18, '08, 3:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybeebee View Post
Because of the blood loss you can get really weak. Also, you have to make sure you take in sufficent iron somehow to guard against anemia. I think the OP is worried that fasting might exacerbate an already weakened state.
This is medically completely wrong.
One period does not get you to anemia!
You only loose about 4 spoons of blood over one period.
Syderopenic anemia is a product of many/long/large periods or inadequate iron intake. Either way, no harm will be done to a young girl who decides not to eat for one day. Especially if it is for her spiritual well being.

Do the fastening thing!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality