Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 18, '08, 7:19 pm

Religion: Protestant
Default Oldest Known Bible : The Sinai....? Ever Hear of it ?

I came across this website while googling for something else.
I did some research and it is true that this Sinai bible does exist. It isn't a lie invented by people on the net.
I had never heard of it before.
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard of it?
If so, what do you think about it?
I am a believer in Jesus and the New T.
I'm posting this because I'm curious.
Its possible others have further information?

I quote from the net with links:

If we examine the oldest known Bible to date, the "Sinai Bible"
housed in the British Museum (I believe that, during his many years
of research, Tony had a private viewing of this priceless book), we
find a staggering 14,800 differences from today's Bible and yet it
still remains the word of God?

As Tony points out, the history of our 'genuine' Bibles is a
convoluted one. Firstly we cannot be sure that we have the full
version as it was originally intended. In 1415 the Church of Rome
took an extraordinary step to destroy all knowledge of two second
century Jewish books that it said contained the true name of Jesus
Christ. The Antipope Benedict XIII firstly singled out for
condemnation a secret Latin treatise called "Mar Yesu" and then
issued instructions to destroy all copies of the book of Elxai. The
Rabbinic fraternity once held the destroyed manuscripts with great
reverence for they were comprehensive original records reporting the
life of Rabbi Jesus.

Later, Pope Alexander VI ordered all copies of the Talmud destroyed,
with the Spanish Grand Inquisitor Tomas de Torquemada (1420-98)
responsible for the elimination of 6,000 volumes at Salamanca alone.

Solomon Romano (1554) also burnt many thousands of Hebrew scrolls
and, in 1559, every Hebrew book in the city of Prague was
confiscated. The mass destruction of Jewish books included hundreds
of copies of the Old Testament and caused the irretrievable loss of
many original handwritten documents.

The oldest text of the Old Testament that survived, before the
discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls" was said to be the Bodleian Codex
(Oxford), which was dated to circa 1100 AD. In an attempt by the
church to remove damaging Rabbinic information about Jesus Christ
from the face of the earth, the Inquisition burnt 12,000 volumes of
the Talmud.

In 1607, forty-seven men (some records say fifty four) took two
years and nine months to re-write the Bible and make it ready for
press. It was, by the order of King James, issued with a set of
personal 'rules' the translators were to follow. Upon its completion
in 1609, it was handed over to the King James for his final approval.
However, "It was self evident that James was not competent to check
their work and edit it, so he passed the manuscripts onto the
greatest genius of all time... Sir Francis Bacon"

Two quotes:
It is an act of virtue to deceive and lie, when by such means the interest of the church might be promoted. Bishop Eusibius (260-339)

How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us. Pope LeoX - (1513-1521)

To read the remainder of this article, click here

http://www.thebiblefraud.com/interna...obertadams.htm

More info is at

http://www.thebiblefraud.com

Here is another link of interest re the Bible:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/NewTestament.html

Last edited by Iloveu2; Feb 18, '08 at 7:38 pm.
Old Feb 18, '08, 7:23 pm

Default Re: Oldest Known Bible : The Sinai....? Ever Hear of it ?

More Information:

http://www.joshuabooks.com/bushby/bi...gif/sample.htm

What was the church trying to hide? IN 1415,THE CHURCH OF ROME TOOK AN EXTRAORDINARY STEP TO destroy all knowledge of two Second Century Jewish books that it said contained ‘the true name of Jesus Christ.’ The Antipope Benedict XIII firstly singled out for condemnation a secret Latin treatise called ‘Mar Yesu ’ and then issued instructions to destroy all copies of the Book of Elxai.No editions of these writings now publicly exist,but church archives recorded that they were once in popular circulation and known to the early presbyters.Knowledge of these writings survived from quotations made by Bishop Hippolytus of Rome (176 –236)and St Epiphanius of Salamis (315 – 403)along with references in some early editions of the Talmud of Palestine and Babylonia.The Rabbinic fraternity once held the destroyed manuscripts with great reverence for they were comprehensive original records reporting the ‘Life of Rabbi Jesus ’.

Later,in a similar manner,Pope Alexander VI (1492 –1503)ordered all copies of the Talmud destroyed.The Council of the Inquisition required as many Jewish writings as possible to burn with the Spanish Grand Inquisitor, Tomas de Torquemada (1420 –98),responsible for the elimination of 6000 volumes at Salamanca.In 1550,Cardinal Caraffa,the Inquisitor-General procured a Bull from the Pope repealing all previous permission for priests to read the Talmud which he said contained ‘hostile stories about Jesus Christ ’. Bursting forth with fury at the head of his minions,he seized every copy he could find in Rome and burnt them.Solomon Romano (1554)also burnt many thousands of Hebrew scrolls and in 1559 every Hebrew book in the city of Prague was confiscated.The mass destruction of Jewish books included hundreds of copies of the Old Testament and caused the irretrievable loss of many original hand-written documents.The oldest text of the Old Testament that survived,before the discovery of the Dead

Sea Scrolls was said to be the Bodleian Codex (Oxford),which was dated to circa 1100AD.In an attempt by the church to remove damaging Rabbinic information about Jesus Christ from the face of the earth,the Inquisition burnt 12,000 volumes of the Talmud However,many copies survived and today provide opposing traditions about the person called Jesus Christ.

In the mass destruction of Jewish writings,the church overlooked two particular British documents that also recorded ‘the true name of Jesus Christ ’. They survive to this day in the British Museum and are called the Chronicles and the Myvyean Manuscript treasured ancient documents with a very early origin.Supporting evidence was also found on early First Century gold, silver and bronze coins discovered at the site of an ancient mint at Camulodunum (Colchester)in Britain.‘Thus the testimony of the Briton coins establishes clearly and positively the historicity of the traditional ancient ‘Chronicles ’ as authentic historical records.’1

The evidence is compelling,and additional supporting clues are found on a mysterious headstone in Germany,in Vatican art treasures,and in a series of coded sentences in the Shakespearean Plays.Further concealed information was left in the form of specially created statues commissioned by a Catholic priest and positioned in a small hilltop church in Southern France.Coded ciphers were also secreted into the first English-language printings of the Bible and a combination of all clues provides interlocking information and presents a new insight into the origin of Christianity.

Secret ciphers in the New Testament It was the ‘wisest fool in Christendom ’,2 who ‘authorised ’ the translation and publication of the first Protestant version of the Bible into English.He came to the English throne in 1603 and quickly became unpopular because of ‘his disgusting personal habits and his unsavoury character ’.3 He pretended to be a scholar in theology and philosophy,but his learning was shallow and superficial.He wallowed in filth,moral and physical,but was endowed with a share of cunning that his associates called,‘a kind of crooked wisdom ’.
Old Feb 18, '08, 7:46 pm

More from the Sinai Bible.
I'm not here to discredit the New Testament.
As I've said before I believe in Jesus no matter what I may read.
I would like some opinions.

I quote:

Thus, the Gospel of Mark in the Sinai Bible carries the "first" story of Jesus Christ in history, one completely different to what is in modern Bibles. It starts with Jesus "at about the age of thirty" (Mark 1:9), and doesn't know of Mary, a virgin birth or mass murders of baby boys by Herod.

Words describing Jesus Christ as "the son of God" do not appear in the opening narrative as they do in today's editions (Mark 1:1), and the modern-day family tree tracing a "messianic bloodline" back to King David is non-existent in all ancient Bibles, as are the now-called "messianic prophecies" (51 in total).

The Sinai Bible carries a conflicting version of events surrounding the "raising of Lazarus", and reveals an extraordinary omission that later became the central doctrine of the Christian faith: the resurrection appearances of Jesus Christ and his ascension into Heaven.

No supernatural appearance of a resurrected Jesus Christ is recorded in any ancient Gospels of Mark, but a description of over 500 words now appears in modern Bibles (Mark 16:9-20).

Not only are those narratives missing in the Sinai Bible, but they are absent in the Alexandrian Bible, the Vatican Bible, the Bezae Bible and an ancient Latin manuscript of Mark, code-named "K" by analysts.

They are also lacking in the oldest Armenian version of the New Testament, in sixth-century manuscripts of the Ethiopic version and ninth-century Anglo-Saxon Bibles.

However, some 12th-century Gospels have the now-known resurrection verses written within asterisks, marks used by scribes to indicate spurious passages in a literary document.

The Church claims that "the resurrection is the fundamental argument for our Christian belief" (Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. xii, p. 792), yet no supernatural appearance of a resurrected Jesus Christ is recorded in any of the earliest Gospels of Mark available.

The resurrection verses in today's Gospels of Mark are universally acknowledged as forgeries and the Church agrees, saying "the conclusion of Mark is admittedly not genuine ... almost the entire section is a later compilation" (Encyclopaedia Biblica, vol. ii, p. 1880, vol. iii, pp. 1767, 1781; also, Catholic Encyclopedia, vol. iii, under the heading "The Evidence of its Spuriousness"; Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. iii, pp. 274-9 under heading "Canons"). Undaunted, however, the Church accepted the forgery into its dogma and made it the basis of Christianity.

The trend of fictitious resurrection narratives continues. The final chapter of the Gospel of John (21) is a sixth-century forgery, one entirely devoted to describing Jesus' resurrection to his disciples.

The Church admits: "The sole conclusion that can be deduced from this is that the 21st chapter was afterwards added and is therefore to be regarded as an appendix to the Gospel" (Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. viii, pp. 441-442; New Catholic Encyclopedia (NCE), "Gospel of John", p. 1080; also NCE, vol. xii, p. 407).

"The Great Insertion" and "The Great Omission" seem to make any writtings held by the Church and used to justify their very existence suspect at best.

http://fray.slate.com/discuss/forums/post/101237.aspx

P.S. These three posts are all quotes; not my personal writings.

Last edited by Iloveu2; Feb 18, '08 at 7:58 pm.
Old Feb 18, '08, 8:04 pm

Religion: Catholic

What a bunch of hooey! According to the website referenced, this is all from a preview of a book put out by an Australian publisher. See below:

About The Principal
John Bannister, a successful book publisher, print consultant and retailer is the CEO and driving force behind Joshua Books, which he co-founded with his wife Cheryl. They have three young adult children who are all pursuing their separate careers.
John comes from a solid business background with success in retail and wholesale activities and has traveled the world with his business activities.
A respected and acclaimed new age communicator, John conducts regular talkback radio sessions and he is presently writing a book on Numerology. He also conducts platforms and workshops on mind change and the importance of belief systems and the need to always be practical in this life.
John Bannister believes passionately in the power of the mind and the need to live by a set of natural laws. With this philosophy, he is well qualified to achieve his goal of making a contribution to the book industry.
Old Feb 18, '08, 8:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

If someone has never heard of the Codex Sinaiticus before, I wonder how many historical statements this person makes will be trustworthy.
Old Feb 18, '08, 8:44 pm

There is always a conspiracy theory about something. Apply a little bit of common sense. If something sounds outrageous then it probably is. All these thousands of books destroyed and the other things are really far far out. Now Mr. Loveu2, how much research did you do on this piece. None! That's ok. You would not believe how many people fall for this stuff. I went to THE British Museum site to see if they had the "Sinai Bible". Nope, they don't have it. People that write these fantasies always put lots of references to PROVE their point knowing that most people will not bother looking them up. Fun to read and hilarious actually but sad to think that some people actually believe this nonsense.
Old Feb 18, '08, 9:12 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Ahmadi ( Muslim )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko View Post
There is always a conspiracy theory about something. Apply a little bit of common sense. If something sounds outrageous then it probably is. All these thousands of books destroyed and the other things are really far far out. Now Mr. Loveu2, how much research did you do on this piece. None! That's ok. You would not believe how many people fall for this stuff. I went to THE British Museum site to see if they had the "Sinai Bible". Nope, they don't have it. People that write these fantasies always put lots of references to PROVE their point knowing that most people will not bother looking them up. Fun to read and hilarious actually but sad to think that some people actually believe this nonsense.
Hi

After reading you post, I checked with wikipedia, I found following writeup/information/link about Codex Sinaiticus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinaiticus

Kindly read the write up and let us have your comments.

Thanks
Old Feb 19, '08, 8:29 am

Thanks again for your replies.
I have researched quite a lot on how the bible came to be written.
In the final analysis I can only say that whatever is true or false it doesn't change the fact that believing in Jesus as in the New T. provides us with the best in life in the here and in the hereafter. That's all the proof we need.
Old Feb 19, '08, 8:39 am

In 1415 the Pope had no authority over the eastern Churches and so couldn't have destroyed all of anything.
Old Feb 19, '08, 11:12 am

After reading you post, I checked with wikipedia, I found following writeup/information/link about Codex Sinaiticus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinaiticus

Kindly read the write up and let us have your comments.

Yes, there is such a document very ancient. In fact there are several others, Codex Vaticanus, Codex Alexandrinus and Codex Ephræmi Rescriptus. Don't let the term "Codex" mislead you though. It doesn't mean there is a secret code or anything of that sort. The word Codex indicates that the document was pages fastened to a central spine much like our books today instead of a scroll.
Old Feb 19, '08, 4:19 pm
Book Club Member

The Codex Sinaiticus in in the British Library, on display permanently. I have seen it there many times.

The Legion of Mary group is now open.
Please join us.
Old Feb 19, '08, 4:48 pm

The point isn't that this ancient manuscript exists and the gospel of Mark in it ends with the death of Jesus and a later hand added the account of the resurrection (maybe taken for a yet older copy of this gospel?). The person writing the book and/or operating the website would like us to believe that therefore the whole idea that there was a resurrection is thereby disproved. He ignores the epistles of Paul which were even earlier which preached the resurrection and said, 'if Christ is not risen, our faith is in vain.'

iloveu2, why do you go to sites like that?
Old Feb 20, '08, 9:19 pm

Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Codex Sinaiticus (London, Brit. Libr., Add. 43725; Gregory-Aland nº א (Aleph) or 01) is a 4th century uncial manuscript of the Greek Bible, written between 330–350.
4th century? That's not so old. We have bible manuscripts and writings of the Early Fathers of the Church that are older than that.

Paul
Old Dec 1, '09, 1:00 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDupre View Post
Wikipedia says:

4th century? That's not so old. We have bible manuscripts and writings of the Early Fathers of the Church that are older than that.

Paul
To quote the Catholic Encyclopedia (1909)
"That, however, they do not go back to the first century of the Christian era, or atleast that they are not original, is a position generally held at the present day..."

and

"It thus appears that the present titles of the Gospels are not traceable to the Evangelists themselves."
Old Dec 1, '09, 2:12 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
If someone has never heard of the Codex Sinaiticus before, I wonder how many historical statements this person makes will be trustworthy.
Yeah, I was just going to say. Some of the comments (like the shorter version of Mark) are well known.

The OP should also note that the Codex Sinacticus is written completely in Greek, while the OT used by every protestant church I've ever heard of, is based on much newer Hebrew manuscripts (The LXX (Greek) dates from roughly 400 BC with the oldest surviving copy from 400 A.D., the MT (Hebrew) dates from roughly 100 AD with the oldest surviving copy from 1200 AD).
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions