Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '08, 7:01 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to alanswife30
Default Scrutinies and Easter Vigil questions

We will have our first Scrutiny this Sunday and I'm trying to find out what exactly will go on.

Also, usually how long does Easter Vigil last? I have invited my non-Catholic family members and they all ask me "how long will it take cause I'm not staying all night!". Yeah, they're real supportive and happy for me...NOT! haha

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, '08, 8:56 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Scrutinies and Easter Vigil questions

The scrutanies are prayers. You will have many prayers going up for you.

Easter Vigil - our Parish is Latin Rite using the Ordinary Form of the Mass, we have on average 20 people coming in, with 5-10 baptisms. Vigil Mass will last a over 2 hours, and there is a reception following.

Mass will not begin until it is dark outside.

This Mass will be packed to the gills, standing room only - and your guests will need to get there at least 30 minutes early to get a seat - so, by attending they will be committing the entire evening to this service.

It is beautiful and amazing. I can tell you, the President of the USA and Queen of England could have come as guests to the Vigil when I came into the Church, I'd not have had any idea they were there until the recpetion after.

Prayers for you!!
Old Feb 19, '08, 9:09 am

For Easter Vigil, I'd plan on at least 4-5 hours for being there. Get there early as was posted above. It is a long night, but it is such a wonderful evening.
Old Feb 19, '08, 10:56 am

Talking Re: Scrutinies and Easter Vigil questions

Thanks for the info. I can't wait for Easter Vigil! It feels like the days are dragging by so slowly!
Old Feb 19, '08, 2:40 pm

Information on the Scrutinies is available in the RCIA introductions for England and Wales are at http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturg...tual.html#RCIA , on page 23 of the PDF document there.

Basically, after the Gospel is read, there is the homily by the priest. After that, the elect with their godparents are asked to come forward and stand before the celebrant. The elect are then invited to bow their heads, or kneel. After the period of silent prayer, the elect and the community stand for the intercessions. After these there is the prayer of Exorcism. After the first part, the priest "if this can be done conveniently, lays hands on each one of the elect". Then he says the second part of the prayer. Then there is the "Dismissal of the Elect". The elect may be directed to leave for the rest of the Mass, or may be invited to stay for it (returning to their seats).
Old Feb 19, '08, 3:38 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanswife30 View Post
We will have our first Scrutiny this Sunday and I'm trying to find out what exactly will go on.

Also, usually how long does Easter Vigil last? I have invited my non-Catholic family members and they all ask me "how long will it take cause I'm not staying all night!". Yeah, they're real supportive and happy for me...NOT! haha

Thanks in advance!
the scrutinies take place during Mass on the 3rd, 4th and 5th Sundays of Lent, you will be told when and where to come, and probably where to sit. After the homily there will be an invitation to silent prayer, intercessions for the Elect, and optional prayers of minor exorcisms, prayer for deliverance from the power of sin and evil. During your class after dismissal, or during the week, will be the presentations of the Creed and the Our Father, which you will memorize because they are recited during your reception at the Easter Vigil.

The time of the Vigil depends on your bishop--it cannot start before sundown and it should be fully dark. Here it will probably be at 8 pm. The length depends on how many readings of the 9 are done, and how many candidates for baptism and confirmation, and how long it takes the newly baptized to dress and get back into the church. For a vigil with no baptisms, 1 1/2 hours, with 3 readings before the epistle and gospel, plus baptisms and confirmations, 2 to 3 hours. Rarely goes over 3 hours unless there are a great many candidates. I would not bring small children unless they are being baptized.

I hope your family comes, it is the most awesome liturgy you have ever been a part of. listen and learn, the Church prays as the Church believes and the liturgy is the premier teaching for the Elect and candidates.
Old Feb 20, '08, 6:03 am

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I can't wait for Easter Vigil! It feels like the days are dragging by so slowly!
Oh that is familiar!! When I came in, We had to be at church in the morning on Easter Saturday and then I had to wait all day for the Vigil. It was such a long day!!! Only thing that got me through was watching Easter Vigil from the Vatican on EWTN. It was such a beautiful night, though - worth the wait.
Old Mar 8, '08, 8:06 am

Well,our 3rd Scrutiny is tomorrow morning! I can't really put into words what I felt during and after the first two, I cried both times, I'm sure I'll be crying like a baby at the Vigil!

Someone posted that we would be presented with the Creed and the Our Father, when exactly will that happen? We have 2 more classes before the Vigil and our schedule is this:

March 12th: Tour of the church

March 19th: Review of the Sacraments of Initiation, Evangelization/Discipleship/Lay ongoing ministry

March 20th Holy Thursday Mass

March 21st: Veneration of the Cross, Communion Service, and Live Stations of the Cross

March 22nd: Practice for Easter Vigil that morning, and then the Vigil that night.

I don't see anything anywhere about the Creed and Our Father. Usually the Creed is projected onto a screen during Mass so that everyone can read it, maybe that's why they haven't said anything about presenting us with it. Should I ask about it tomorrow?
Old Mar 8, '08, 8:20 am

Religion: RC

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Easter Vigil is significantly longer than an ordinary mass under any circumstance. How much longer depends on the number of baptisms/confirmations will be taking place, as well as the overall attendance. If there are only a few new Catholics in your parish, and there is a snowstorm this Easter, it will still take an hour and a half.
Old Mar 8, '08, 9:43 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Well,our 3rd Scrutiny is tomorrow morning! I can't really put into words what I felt during and after the first two, I cried both times, I'm sure I'll be crying like a baby at the Vigil!

Someone posted that we would be presented with the Creed and the Our Father, when exactly will that happen? We have 2 more classes before the Vigil and our schedule is this:

March 12th: Tour of the church

March 19th: Review of the Sacraments of Initiation, Evangelization/Discipleship/Lay ongoing ministry

March 20th Holy Thursday Mass

March 21st: Veneration of the Cross, Communion Service, and Live Stations of the Cross

March 22nd: Practice for Easter Vigil that morning, and then the Vigil that night.

I don't see anything anywhere about the Creed and Our Father. Usually the Creed is projected onto a screen during Mass so that everyone can read it, maybe that's why they haven't said anything about presenting us with it. Should I ask about it tomorrow?
In many if not parishes during Mass, the catechumen and often the candidates are excused and leave the Church prior to the Creed as they have not yet been initiated into the Church. The presentation of the Creed allowed them to be exposed to the Creed for the first time. If your parish has been allowing the catechumen to remain throughout the entire Mass as it appears they may have been doing, there would really be no need for the presentation of the Creed.
Old Mar 8, '08, 10:49 am
Forum Supporter

We were presented with the creed on the morning of Easter Saturday. We had to be at the church at 8am for prayer at which we received the creed. After that we had a short retreat while our sponsors rehearsed for the Vigil (we were kept completely in the dark as to what would happen that night.)

We had to be at the church an hour prior to the start of the vigil and the vigil itself lasted every minute of three hours and there was a reception to follow.

I know you'll be excited, but I strongly encourage you to try to take a nap on Saturday afternoon. It can be an exhausting day.
Old Mar 8, '08, 1:32 pm

Quote:
... Someone posted that we would be presented with the Creed and the Our Father, when exactly will that happen? ... I don't see anything anywhere about the Creed and Our Father. Usually the Creed is projected onto a screen during Mass so that everyone can read it, maybe that's why they haven't said anything about presenting us with it. Should I ask about it tomorrow?
Yes, I suggest asking about it. There is some flexibility in the timing.

From the RCIA liturgical book:
Quote:
"134 The presentations take place after the celebration of the scrutinies, unless, for pastoral reasons, they have been anticipated during the period of the catechumenate (see nos. 79, 103-104). Thus, with the catechumenal formation of the elect completed, the Church lovingly entrusts to them the Creed and the Lordís Prayer, the ancient texts that have always been regarded as expressing the heart of the Churchís faith and prayer. ... 135 The first presentation to the elect is the presentation of the Creed, during the week following the first scrutiny. The elect are to commit the Creed to memory and they will recite it publicly (nos. 180-183) prior to professing their faith in accordance with that Creed on the day of their baptism. 136 The second presentation to the elect is the presentation of the Lordís Prayer, during the week following the third scrutiny (but, if necessary, this presentation may be deferred for inclusion in the preparation rites of Holy Saturday; see no. 172). ..."
The above is from the RCIA introductions for England and Wales are at http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturg...tual.html#RCIA . The USA edition has different paragraph numbers. In the USA edition, the n. 134-136 above are numbered 147-149.

So the ceremony of the Presentation of the Creed should have already happened. It can be done in Mass or in a "Celebration of the Word of God". After the readings and homily you should have been invited forward. Then the celebrant should have said in "these or simliar words":
"My dear friends, listen carefully to the words of that faith by which you will be justified. The words are few, but the mysteries they contain are great. Receive them with sincere heart and be faithful to them."

Either the Nicene Creed or the Apostles' Creed can be said. The elect listen to it, while the assembly say it. Then a prayer is said over the elect by the Celebrant: "Lord, eternal source of light, justice and truth, take under your tender care you servants ...". (USA RCIA book, n. 157-163).

The Presentation of the Lord's Prayer has a Gospel reading of the Lord's Prayer from Matthew. After the homily there is a prayer over the elect: "Almighty and eternal God, you continually enlarge the family of your Church. Deepen the faith and understanding of these elect, chosen for baptism. ...". (USA RCIA book, n. 178-184).

If you have not had a Presentation of the Creed then I think someone has made a mistake. So I suggest raising the issue tactfully. Try to encourage them to do the Presentation of the Lord's Prayer, which can be done as late as Holy Saturday, the day you are probably being baptised (but earlier in the day, not at the Easter Vigil that night).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments