Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '08, 6:30 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman-rite Catholic
Default Bible verses/quotes by Christians that cheer you up?

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."
John 10:11

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our ancestors trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded."
Psalm 22:1-5

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord, “You promised me Lord,that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

Footprints in the Sand, anonymous
" ... the systematic exclusion of Latin is an abuse no less to be condemned than the systematic desire of some people to use it exclusively. Its sudden and total disappearance will not be without serious pastoral consequences..." Ratio fundamentatlis, 1980
Old Feb 25, '08, 9:26 am
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Bible verses/quotes by Christians that cheer you up?

Are there any good Bible quotations on happiness?
" ... the systematic exclusion of Latin is an abuse no less to be condemned than the systematic desire of some people to use it exclusively. Its sudden and total disappearance will not be without serious pastoral consequences..." Ratio fundamentatlis, 1980
Old Feb 25, '08, 9:32 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

"Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house there are many mansions. Were it not so, I should have told you, because I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again, and I will take you to Myself; that where I am, there you also may be. And where I go you know, and the way you know."

(John 14:1-4)

To me, this is happiness.. knowing that my Lord, is preparing a place for me (and each of us) and that He will bring us "Home" to live with Him.
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Feb 25, '08, 10:52 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphelDuath View Post
Are there any good Bible quotations on happiness?

Psalms 23 and 91 are the first things to pop into my mind
Old Feb 25, '08, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
"Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house there are many mansions. Were it not so, I should have told you, because I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again, and I will take you to Myself; that where I am, there you also may be. And where I go you know, and the way you know."

(John 14:1-4)

To me, this is happiness.. knowing that my Lord, is preparing a place for me (and each of us) and that He will bring us "Home" to live with Him.
MarieVeronica - you beat me to it; this is one of my favorite verses and I often bring to my mind.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Feb 25, '08, 11:29 am

Matthew 11:28 - "Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy ladened and I will give you rest."

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Feb 27, '08, 12:38 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Always Jeremiah 29:11-12

Also
"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it"-John 1:5

And a little prayer:
Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together can't handle. Amen.

O Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in Thee, whatever may befall me, Lord, though dark the hour may be.
Old Feb 27, '08, 2:13 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I have a little story here:

There are these two guys, a protestant, and a protestant who has just become a catholic. Now, these guys get along, but they like to test each other. The protestant says to the catholic.
"Well, what about salvation then? Surely you go to either heaven or hell?" The catholic then says to the protestant.
"Heaven or hell? Surely there is purgatory!" The protestant has known his friend for years, and the shock is visible on the man's face as his friend has suggested that there may even be a purgatory! He says to his friend.
"Yes, but, surely you don't believe in purgatory, do you?"
"Believe it? My dear boy, I'm counting on it!"

English, male, single, 20.

Currently studying: MPhys Astrophysics with Astronomy and Space Science
Old Mar 8, '08, 5:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to keep still.
Exodus 14:14

At times Our Lord makes you feel the burden of the Cross. This burden seems intolerable to you. But as for you, carry it because the Lord extends His hand and gives you strength.
St. Padre Pio
Old Mar 8, '08, 5:58 pm
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeanette L

Jeremiah 29:

[11] For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

[12] Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.

[13] You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart,

[14] I will be found by you, says the LORD.

I have always clung to these verses. I keep a copy in my wallet and on my fridge so I always know where to look when I need them.

HOLY MARY PRAY FOR US
...If we believe in the Virgin Birth and in our Lord's Human Nature...there is only one source for it...'He's His Mother's Son'. CS Lewis
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '06
Old Nov 23, '08, 4:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Old Nov 23, '08, 6:06 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Philippians 4:13 RSV I can do all things in him who strengthens me.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Nov 24, '08, 6:57 pm

Thumbs up Re: Bible verses/quotes by Christians that cheer you up?

Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (from Psalm 23)

Pope Benedict XVI: ...I think it's very important to be able to see the funny side of life and its joyful dimension and not to take everything too tragically.
Old Nov 25, '08, 10:56 am

One set of verses that I find consolation in is Matthew 6:25-34. Therefore do not be anxious saying, "What shall we eat? What shall we drink? or What shall we put on?"... But first seek the Kingdom of God and his justice shall be given you and besides...

Another set of verses that I find comforting is Psalm 90 or 91?
You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, Say to the Lord. "My refuge and my fortress, my God , in whom I trust." For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. With his pinions he will cover you, under his wings you shall take refuge; his faithfulness is a buckler and a shield. ....

I also like Deuteronomy 31;8. It is the Lord that marches before you; he will be with you and will never fail you or forsake you. So do not fear or be dismayed.

Acts 2; 25-28 I saw the Lord before me at all times. He is near me, and I will not be troubled. And so I am filled with gladness, and my words are full of joy. And I, mortal though I am, will rest assured in hope, because you will not abandon me in the world of the dead; you will not allow your faithful servant to rot in the grave. You have shown me the paths that lead to life and your presence will fill me with joy.
Old Nov 25, '08, 1:21 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galnextdoor View Post
One set of verses that I find consolation in is Matthew 6:25-34. Therefore do not be anxious saying, "What shall we eat? What shall we drink? or What shall we put on?"... But first seek the Kingdom of God and his justice shall be given you and besides...

Another set of verses that I find comforting is Psalm 90 or 91?
You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, Say to the Lord. "My refuge and my fortress, my God , in whom I trust." For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. With his pinions he will cover you, under his wings you shall take refuge; his faithfulness is a buckler and a shield. ....

I also like Deuteronomy 31;8. It is the Lord that marches before you; he will be with you and will never fail you or forsake you. So do not fear or be dismayed.

Acts 2; 25-28 I saw the Lord before me at all times. He is near me, and I will not be troubled. And so I am filled with gladness, and my words are full of joy. And I, mortal though I am, will rest assured in hope, because you will not abandon me in the world of the dead; you will not allow your faithful servant to rot in the grave. You have shown me the paths that lead to life and your presence will fill me with joy.
I like Gen 18:25 "Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality