Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '08, 7:42 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Fr. Lasance New Roman Missal

I was looking for a copy of the New Roman Missal by Fr. F.X. Lasance, and happened to find this reprint. I was wondering if this is a good price and what do you all think of this missal. Thanks in advance.

http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl....dId=&InvCatId=
Old Feb 24, '08, 9:13 am

Religion: Catholic - Traditional
Default Re: Fr. Lasance New Roman Missal

I really want this missal but currently don't have it (I use the Baronius Missal), but I have heard nothing negative about it except for the possiblity of a few typos. Father Lasance was a saint, and I'm sure his work is superb.

Last edited by TradCatholic12; Feb 24, '08 at 9:14 am. Reason: correct a typo
Old Feb 24, '08, 9:34 am

I won the same missal off of eBay the other day,just like it, I wanted to get a good missal as they are planning to have a Solemn High Mass regularly at a parish in a neighboring town about 10 miles away and to use when I go down to the Benedictine Monastery at Clear Creek. I am curious as to if there is anyone out there that uses this missal and if so what they think of it.
Old Feb 24, '08, 9:40 am

I'm not sure why, but the link provided doesn't work. I was able to find the missal by going to the main site, and yes, that is an excellent price.

It is the missal I use, and I love it. It is the most complete one I know of, aside from the new one available from Baronius Press. I was tempted to get that one, but couldn't justify the expense because Fr. Lasance's is exquisite. You won't be disappointed!

"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin, 4/17/88
Old Feb 24, '08, 11:47 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I have one that belonged to my Mom.
Father Lasance's "My Prayer Book"
It was printed by Benziger Brothers - Printers to the Holy Apostolic See, and the Nihil Obstat is dated September 19, 1908.

No, it's not for sale ! This one's priceless - sentimentally, as well as for its content. I've only begun to really peruse it in recent months, and it's just packed with prayers, the Mass - and thoughts. Small print though. I'd highly recommend it, if you can find anything near the same one.
Old Feb 24, '08, 12:34 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
I have one that belonged to my Mom.
Father Lasance's "My Prayer Book"
It was printed by Benziger Brothers - Printers to the Holy Apostolic See, and the Nihil Obstat is dated September 19, 1908.

No, it's not for sale ! This one's priceless - sentimentally, as well as for its content. I've only begun to really peruse it in recent months, and it's just packed with prayers, the Mass - and thoughts. Small print though. I'd highly recommend it, if you can find anything near the same one.
I have My Prayer Book as well, an original one. Reprints are on the market. 15.00 to 20.00. I found mine on eBay. Actually, I'd suggest getting the reprint if someone wants one. The original ones tend to fall apart with use because of their age.

I know what you mean though. As heirlooms they are indeed priceless. I have Fr Lasance's With God (1911), a larger version of My Prayer Book. It was my Grandmother's. I see them on eBay from time to time. They tend to sell for 100.00 or more in excellent condition. Hopefully a reprint will be offered soon.

Anything by Fr Lasance is excellent
Old Feb 24, '08, 1:00 pm

Send a message via ICQ to markadm Send a message via AIM to markadm Send a message via MSN to markadm Send a message via Yahoo to markadm Send a message via Skype™ to markadm

I don't see the point in buying it. Why not buy something conforming to the "current" 1962 editio typica?
Old Feb 24, '08, 3:38 pm

Quote:
I don't see the point in buying it. Why not buy something conforming to the "current" 1962 editio typica?
What is the difference between the 1945 edition and the 1962? Is it just the holy week propers and St. Joseph's name in the canon? If so that shouldn't be a problem as where I plan on attending mass will celebrate Holy week in the ordinary form. I currently have the reprint of Fr. Lasance's The Young Man's Guide and really love it, and therefore am looking into it.
Old Feb 24, '08, 5:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadude View Post
I won the same missal off of eBay the other day,just like it, I wanted to get a good missal as they are planning to have a Solemn High Mass regularly at a parish in a neighboring town about 10 miles away and to use when I go down to the Benedictine Monastery at Clear Creek. I am curious as to if there is anyone out there that uses this missal and if so what they think of it.
BTW, how is Clear Creek doing? I read about it several years ago. Odd place maybe to set up a traditionalist Catholi presence. Isn't the Tulsa area considered in the Bible belt?

Anyways, how have things turned out there. I'd like to know the reaction of the locals especially.
Old Feb 24, '08, 6:14 pm

Quote:
BTW, how is Clear Creek doing? I read about it several years ago. Odd place maybe to set up a traditionalist Catholi presence. Isn't the Tulsa area considered in the Bible belt?

Anyways, how have things turned out there. I'd like to know the reaction of the locals especially.
Clear Creek is doing great, I made my first visit down there on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception this past year, and it is thriving, with about thirty monks. Clear Creek is actually about seventy miles from Tulsa in the middle of no where, if you aren't looking for the monastery you aren't going to find it. There are many people who have moved to the area to raise their children in a traditionally catholic setting, other than that there aren't really many people who live in the area. On January First the monks moved from their temporary housing facility to the monastery now that the cells are finished. I am hoping to make another visit within the next 2-3 months and I'll give you an update after that. Check out their website at http://www.clearcreekmonks.org for some pictures.
Old Feb 24, '08, 10:46 pm

Send a message via ICQ to markadm Send a message via AIM to markadm Send a message via MSN to markadm Send a message via Yahoo to markadm Send a message via Skype™ to markadm

Quote:
What is the difference between the 1945 edition and the 1962? Is it just the holy week propers and St. Joseph's name in the canon? If so that shouldn't be a problem as where I plan on attending mass will celebrate Holy week in the ordinary form. I currently have the reprint of Fr. Lasance's The Young Man's Guide and really love it, and therefore am looking into it.
I don't know!

I simply said that to throw the question in...and because the '62 Missals I've seen are cheaper!
Old Feb 25, '08, 3:20 pm

Quote:
I was looking for a copy of the New Roman Missal by Fr. F.X. Lasance, and happened to find this reprint. I was wondering if this is a good price and what do you all think of this missal. Thanks in advance.

http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl....dId=&InvCatId=
The Lasance Missal is excellent. $40 is a good price, especially since the condition will be better than some you'd find on eBay. There's a lot of good info on the Mass, symbols in Catholic art and a great selection of prayers.

I also have My Prayerbook Happiness in Goodness, by Fr Lasance and recommend it as well. I keep a copy of it in the glovebox of my car.

This isn't the 1962 Missal, but it'll be fine. Holy Week is different and St Joseph has been added to the Canon, but don't let that stop you.

For various reasons, I like the Angelus version a little better, but I can highly recommend this one. You won't regret it.

There's another nice Lasance book on Eucharistic Adoration. This one is available online:
http://www.archive.org/details/visitstojesus00unknuoft
Old Feb 25, '08, 6:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

I have the Fr. Lasance missal also and I bought it at a local Catholic bookstore for $55... you got a very good deal. I have the Baronius and Angelus too. I think the Fr. Lasance is great for referencing and the Angelus is the one I take to Mass because it is more pliable and easier for me to read.

Tiber Swim Team...Class Of '63

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism