Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 24, '08, 7:41 pm

Religion: catholic
Default CRHP (christ renews his parish)

has anyone ever attended a chrp week end
and if you did what did you think of it
Old Feb 25, '08, 5:01 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: chrp (christ renews his parish

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg View Post
has anyone ever attended a chrp week end
and if you did what did you think of it
Yes, and I loved it. It was a wonderful experience and is a great tool for parish evangelization, and renewing a parish's spiritual life. I also worked a couple of teams, and that was great also.

Nonetheless, some people do not like it, but the vast majority of people in the two parishes I have been in who had the program loved it. In my first parish, they had it for many years and then as most of the parish had attended, they discontinued the program, but years later brought it back as the younger people had expressed an interest in it, and have successfully implemented it again. The only way to really judge is to attend a weekend.
Old Feb 27, '08, 5:15 pm

Ref frankieg 24 Feb and CRHP.

New to the CAF and getting my bearings fast though.

Capt Mc. here. CRHP draws its strengths from as many as can attend. Essential to the program is that you "listen" to the testimonials, faith sharing, and history giving of those who preceded you at the last CRHP. Example is that I attended CRHP XXIII, but the CRHP 22 gave the testimonials. It's best to go in with an open mind. Don't write anything down said ... just listen and draw from these testimonials what you think you must do to change or not in your life. For me war was my playground. War I'm comfortable with. But for the CRHP brethren, they were never in war. They were however having their hearts ripped out in non military situations such as catastrophic illnesses, financial nightmares, etc. When I left CRHP I left coming back every Monday night since Feb 10th. What CRHP is NOT:
* It is not a silent retreat
* It is not a parish organization
* It is not public confession
* It is not an emotional cult
* It is not a pre-selected group
* It is not a parish clique

...learning how add graphics to this, I'd like to add my picture. Else email me [email protected]

HUA!
Old Feb 27, '08, 5:17 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Also from Northeast Ohio, and have attended a CHRP weekend and served on the teams ...

... And as a matter of fact, was thinking today about a special gift that the Lord gave me on Renewal Weekend ...

... Sometimes the effects can be life-changing, or life-lasting.

~~ the phoenix
Old Feb 27, '08, 5:51 pm

PRAYER WARRIOR, Capt Mc here. Hopefully CRHP will be a popular forum topic. The teams act as the framework of the entire retreat. For me fireteams made the framework. Each man or woman had his her skills in combat to contribute. We acted as one team, one fight. CRHP is that methodology too. Each table team, mine was FULFILLMENT, were given a topic or question. Each table (11 tables) would then write their answers on a blackboard designating a member to do the writing. From their everyone got a clear picture of what is important. Example .. mine was focusing on God directed thinking meaning God is on the chair seat, not man. Returning the answer in analogy of war, I said we were Soldiers of Christ and the Bible was much like the weapon (203) in our fight with the Devil. Another way I put and it got the guys really screaming for more was when I said "Sergeant York coud not fight until he believed in the cause." When an army or my case the Air Force, loses faith, especially in a firefight, we belong to the enemy. The devil is that enemy. Hopefully I won't get a bad reputation marker here. Wonder what I've started. Take care and thanks. HUA!
Old Feb 28, '08, 5:05 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Good greetings, Capt Mc!

Your CHRP weekend sounds like an intensely awesome spiritual boot camp, equipping you for the battles of life!

Here's what you started. I once decided to try and figure out what ranks to assign the Heavenly Host. Here's what I came up with. Your suggestions are welcome, as I am only a warrior in the prayer sense of the word, and thus respect your military background and experience.

Jesus -- Commander in Chief
Mary -- General
St. Michael the Archangel -- Lieutenant General
The Pope -- Suggestions welcome ... On the one hand, the Pope is the Vicar of Christ on Earth, on the other, as a human he's "a little less than the angels," whereas Mary is Queen of the Angels.
Saints -- Special Forces
Me -- Whatever rank Forrest Gump had, that would likely fit.

~~ the phoenix
Old Feb 28, '08, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phoenix View Post
Good greetings, Capt Mc!

Your CHRP weekend sounds like an intensely awesome spiritual boot camp, equipping you for the battles of life!

Here's what you started. I once decided to try and figure out what ranks to assign the Heavenly Host. Here's what I came up with. Your suggestions are welcome, as I am only a warrior in the prayer sense of the word, and thus respect your military background and experience.

Jesus -- Commander in Chief
Mary -- General
St. Michael the Archangel -- Lieutenant General
The Pope -- Suggestions welcome ... On the one hand, the Pope is the Vicar of Christ on Earth, on the other, as a human he's "a little less than the angels," whereas Mary is Queen of the Angels.
Saints -- Special Forces
Me -- Whatever rank Forrest Gump had, that would likely fit.

~~ the phoenix
Prayer Warrior (PW)... You are a fine Soldier of Christ. But lets take a look at Forrest and my favorite officer "Lt. Dan". Oh we had them too. Except mine was a armory officer, Lt. Pulver. He cursed God and then all of a sudden, whooshh...he took a walk saying he needed to talk to God. Little did Lt. Pulver know that God kneeled next to him daily as he did with the generals, officers and the such. No different in the civvie world Prayer Warrior.

CRHP is a bootcamp in a way...spiritual. Unlike the combat courses I attended and shared with others, this combat course is "you" starring at "you" through the testimonials, faith sharing, and histories of others who have had their wars. HONORABLE CHARACTER and SELFLESS SERVICE to this country (the USA), to my unit, and the men and women who make our Marines, Soldiers, Airmen, and anyone else fighting for this country. That SAME CHARACTER building is CRHP. Four factors: FOLLOWER, LEADER, COMMUNICATION, AND THE SITUATION .. these are the major factors of leadership. CRHP will have a significant impact on what actions the leader should take and when he should take them.

Sgt Gump had character. He loved Jenny through thick and thin. Great movie.

I ruined your house (barracks) here, and I am sorry for exceeding my bounds on things.

What I am learning here in the CAF is Christian Leadership that motivates and I've found the right place. But without a doubt the devil lurks within this website as well.

ISAIAH 43:1 ... inscribed on the butt of my M203 and on my Geneva Study Bible. Take care Prayer Warrior. BELIEFS, VALUES, AND NORMS! GOING AWOL WITH GOD IS NOT SMART! You're in my prayer tonight PW.
Old Feb 28, '08, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmc View Post
Prayer Warrior (PW)... You are a fine Soldier of Christ. But lets take a look at Forrest and my favorite officer "Lt. Dan". Oh we had them too. Except mine was a armory officer, Lt. Pulver. He cursed God and then all of a sudden, whooshh...he took a walk saying he needed to talk to God. Little did Lt. Pulver know that God kneeled next to him daily as he did with the generals, officers and the such. No different in the civvie world Prayer Warrior.

CRHP is a bootcamp in a way...spiritual. Unlike the combat courses I attended and shared with others, this combat course is "you" starring at "you" through the testimonials, faith sharing, and histories of others who have had their wars. HONORABLE CHARACTER and SELFLESS SERVICE to this country (the USA), to my unit, and the men and women who make our Marines, Soldiers, Airmen, and anyone else fighting for this country. That SAME CHARACTER building is CRHP. Four factors: FOLLOWER, LEADER, COMMUNICATION, AND THE SITUATION .. these are the major factors of leadership. CRHP will have a significant impact on what actions the leader should take and when he should take them.

I ruined your house (barracks) here, and I am sorry for exceeding my bounds on things.

What I am learning here in the CAF is Christian Leadership that motivates and I've found the right place. But without a doubt the devil lurks within this website as well.

ISAIAH 43:1 ... inscribed on the butt of my M203 and on my Geneva Study Bible. Take care Prayer Warrior. BELIEFS, VALUES, AND NORMS! GOING AWOL WITH GOD IS NOT SMART! You're in my prayer tonight PW.
There is CRHP for the Ladies too and I hope I wasn't sexist here using "he" all of the time. Sorry. I'm lucky to come home as a disabled vet PW. My body is scars ... messed up blood ... electronic pain management system (Medtronics 7425) ... I was lucky...yeah...it's nice to see wooden pews, nice carpet, "snow" if you believe it, and I owe it to the many who repaired me. Now it's up to me and God. Others?

...1 Cor 1:9 -- GOD IS FAITHFUL, AND BY HIM YOU WERE CALLED TO FELLOWSHIP WITH HIS SON, JESUS CHRIST, OR LORD". Sign up for CRHP!
Old Feb 29, '08, 4:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmc View Post

..grammatical error correction ... GOING AWOL "ON" GOD IS NOT SMART. Oh so as not to get complaints going to the parish and CRHP I attend, I have edited my signature block. [b]Thank you CAF and members! [ /B]
Old Jun 5, '08, 11:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I havent attended one, mostly becuase I would be a good 30 years younger than most of the men, but they did bring me in to give them a witness speech on The Eucharist(i think thats the one i gave, i give a lot of talks for church ). I was amazed that A)they all gave me undiveded attention and B)I got thank you letters from pretty much every one of them judging by how many I got. I was impressed.
Old Jul 20, '08, 9:08 pm
Observing Member

For the church in which we have been members for 23 years, CRHP has been a Godsend. It started here almost 30 years ago by women who are either grandmothers here or are now in heaven, and it continues for men and for women every 6 months. I was on a CRHP II team last year, where we put on a weekend for women who have completed the renewal process in CRHP I, and I am still amazed at our collective experience, and so grateful to be part of it. Our pastor claims that if every parish had CRHP, there would be no need for psychotherapy, and I think he may be on to something. It is the most enriching, healing and encouraging processes one can experience, and a wonderful evangelization tool and a way to bring members into other ministries.

If you are on the fence, I urge you to go for it! You will not be singled out, or embarrassed, or discouraged. You will make friends for life, if you choose, and best of all, you will find the grace of Christ. God bless.
Old Jul 20, '08, 10:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I attended 6 months ago and have continued the formation, and now we are going to have the next retreat for others. It is a wonderful retreat.
Old Jul 23, '08, 1:13 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to newbetx

My question is:

Has ANYONE ever had a bad experience with CRHP ? Absolutely EVERYONE I know that has gone immediately says "YOU HAVE TO GO!" but when pressed for details, they say "You'll like it. I had doubts, too. We can't tell you what goes on because it will ruin the experience ." Lots of jokes about drinking the koolade... Is CRHP one of those Charismatic things?

Aloha!
Newbetx
Old Jul 26, '08, 1:03 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbetx View Post
My question is:

Has ANYONE ever had a bad experience with CRHP ? Absolutely EVERYONE I know that has gone immediately says "YOU HAVE TO GO!" but when pressed for details, they say "You'll like it. I had doubts, too. We can't tell you what goes on because it will ruin the experience ." Lots of jokes about drinking the koolade... Is CRHP one of those Charismatic things?

I have actually made Renewal on two separate weekends, thereby finding myself on two different Renewal teams. Both weekends were good. The first Renewal Team experience was wonderfully good, the second team I was on, not so much.

Here are the differences in my own particular case:

My first Renewal Team had an actual priest for our spiritual director, and the focus of the team was right where it should be ... on Jesus Christ. Prayer was a highly important factor throughout the year.

My second Renewal Team had a deacon for our spiritual director, as the priests were too busy that year, and the focus of the team, IMHO, was too much focused on the internal power politics of which team member got to play which role on the team. As well, we were not nearly as prayerful as my first Renewal Team. I believe that the deacon tried really hard to do a good job, and that it was a matter of "while the cat's away, the mice will play" in that had a priest been leading us, the petty power struggles would not have been attempted because the people involved would have been on their best behavior for the priest.

As for making a Renewal Weekend, I would venture to say that if you trust that the parish and priests hosting the weekend are in union with the Pope and the teachings of the Church, you can trust that your Renewal Weekend will be a spiritually enriching time of retreat and well worth making.

As for the secrecy involved, I'm female, but I think I can compare it to the secrecy of the Knights of Columbus ... It's all very tame and perfectly fine ... the surprise adds a special element of joy. Knowing everything in advance would be like sneaking into the closet where mom stores the Christmas presents and wanting to see everything before Santa delivers them on Christmas morning.

Bottom line, I join with those who say "YOU HAVE TO GO !!!"

~~ the phoenix
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence