Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 11, '04, 12:43 pm
Madaglan's Avatar
Madaglan Madaglan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 3,388
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

I know that it is wrong to look at pictures of naked women, but is it also sinful to simply look at clothed, though still hot, girls and pictures of them?

I know that many people will use the Bible to say that it is adultery to even look at a woman with lust; but if one can look at these girls and their pictures and just think, "I really wish I had her as my girlfriend!!!" and imagine oneself engaged in romantic yet non-sexual encounters with that person--is that sinful?

A lot of times I'll see a hot girl in public who also looks very sweet; and then I'll imagine being in a non-sexual though somewhat romantic relationship with that person--even if I have to construct their personality. Is that wrong and sinful? For some reason after I read the Song of Songs I don't think such thoughts are sinful. What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:18 pm
felra felra is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 2, 2004
Posts: 1,714
Religion: cradle Catholic
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan
I know that it is wrong to look at pictures of naked women, but is it also sinful to simply look at clothed, though still hot, girls and pictures of them?

I know that many people will use the Bible to say that it is adultery to even look at a woman with lust; but if one can look at these girls and their pictures and just think, "I really wish I had her as my girlfriend!!!" and imagine oneself engaged in romantic yet non-sexual encounters with that person--is that sinful?

A lot of times I'll see a hot girl in public who also looks very sweet; and then I'll imagine being in a non-sexual though somewhat romantic relationship with that person--even if I have to construct their personality. Is that wrong and sinful? For some reason after I read the Song of Songs I don't think such thoughts are sinful. What do you think?
It sounds like a walk on this ice to me....how do you propose to keep the thoughts always pure, wholesome, and not dip/cross over into lust, self gratifying fantasy? How about considering to forego the "simple look" and "imagining" and instead make a commitment to talk to, initiate real person conversation with "that person"? I believe that this would be more an engagement with reality and a prevention to wanting to "romantically" fantasize, which is engagement with yourself only. Give it a try!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:25 pm
carrieloon carrieloon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 150
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

The Song of Songs is about a husband writing to his (future??) bride so your justification would break down right there. You do not have a relationship with these ladies, let alone a marriage. And the fact that they are "hot" would make me wonder if your intentions are truly as pure and 'romantic' as you say they are.

I agree with the other poster. You are walking on thin ice. It is hard enough to keep one's mind pure without tempting yourself with pictures of clothed yet sexy ladies.

It sounds like you are lonely--do you have a girlfriend?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:29 pm
Madaglan's Avatar
Madaglan Madaglan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 3,388
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Quote:
It sounds like you are lonely--do you have a girlfriend?
No. If I did I'd probably think about her instead of other girls.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:31 pm
carrieloon carrieloon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 150
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

I know where you are coming from.


I wish you luck in finding a suitable mate (are you old enough for a girlfriend?) as well as keeping your mind pure. A daily struggle for sure!

God bless..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:39 pm
Tantum ergo Tantum ergo is offline
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 12,550
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

I'd suggest that you start thinking about your future wife (you probably will find her, and soon). . .how do you think she'd feel about you looking at hot girls? The trouble with "looking" is that you lack discipline, and the more you look, the more you want to look, and further. Why not try writing down some of the characteristics you would most like in a wife--and it WON'T be that she is "hot". . .wouldn't you prefer a wife who is modest, kind, loving, generous, thoughtful, practical, open and giving yet quiet and selective. . .etc. See how many characteristics aren't the "physical" lust arousers, but instead give you a real idea of the kind of "love" that a marriage will bring. . .not, "gee, sex every night" but "gee, a total sharing, warmth, mutual respect and trust with someone who is a real part of me".

I know guys are more visual, but hey. . .
You could always read some real literature, esp. C. S. Lewis. Try reading his trilogy of "Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra", and "That Hideous Strength". The last book, especially, gives wonderful insights of marriage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:40 pm
jimmy jimmy is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2004
Posts: 9,529
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieloon
And the fact that they are "hot" would make me wonder if your intentions are truly as pure and 'romantic' as you say they are.
I wouldn't say that just because they are hot then there are bad intentions.
__________________
"Who has the more difficult task: the teacher who lectures on earnest things a meteor's distance from everyday life-or the learner who should put it to use?"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:41 pm
George2 George2 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 29, 2004
Posts: 246
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Yes it is unless your job is at a modelling agency.

If you are looking at websites or magazines with the express interest of seeing scantily clad women, that is sinful.

It is sinful because it weakens your resolve not to look at the so many readily available naked websites or magazines out there.

It is a "near occasion of sin" and a sin. The sin of idolatry. Women were not mean to be ojects. The sin of lust, because you are desiring them and a "near occassion " since it can lead you more easily to a sin or a worse sin.

Don't put the car in first gear and expect it to stay there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:52 pm
Dr. Colossus Dr. Colossus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2004
Posts: 1,810
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Colossus Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Colossus
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan
I know that it is wrong to look at pictures of naked women, but is it also sinful to simply look at clothed, though still hot, girls and pictures of them?
It depends on the intent. Can you say in all honesty that you are not intending to draw selfish pleasure from looking at these women? What other reasons would you have for looking at them in such a manner?

Quote:
I know that many people will use the Bible to say that it is adultery to even look at a woman with lust; but if one can look at these girls and their pictures and just think, "I really wish I had her as my girlfriend!!!" and imagine oneself engaged in romantic yet non-sexual encounters with that person--is that sinful?
Visualizing a conversation or other form on interaction can be fine. But again, it's the intent. By fantasizing "romantic yet non-sexual encounters", are you attempting to come up with words to say to start an actual converstion, or are you just trying to "get off" on the idea of such an encounter?

Quote:
A lot of times I'll see a hot girl in public who also looks very sweet; and then I'll imagine being in a non-sexual though somewhat romantic relationship with that person--even if I have to construct their personality. Is that wrong and sinful? For some reason after I read the Song of Songs I don't think such thoughts are sinful. What do you think?
The Song of Songs is actually an allegory for the perfect love of God for His people (or His Church). Even still, the language does show that there is nothing wrong with admiring the attractive qualities of other human beings. After all, they are made in God's own image. The "wrong or sinful" problems come in when we begin to value the physical over the spiritual.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Nov 11, '04, 1:55 pm
Madaglan's Avatar
Madaglan Madaglan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 3,388
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Ok, I get the point about looking at women who are strangers or relative strangers. But what about girls you know a little bit about their personality, but whom you haven't really had a chance to meet in person. I have a problem because of social anxiety, so I end up talking with a lot of girls online and eventually on the phone. Some of them are really sweet and they really seem to like me, but because they live so far away (like across the country), I probably will never be able to see them in person. Is it wrong to romanticize about what a relationship would be like with them?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Nov 11, '04, 2:04 pm
felra felra is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 2, 2004
Posts: 1,714
Religion: cradle Catholic
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan
Ok, I get the point......Is it wrong to romanticize about what a relationship would be like with them?
God calls us to the real thing; so why consider selling yourself short?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Nov 11, '04, 2:07 pm
Dr. Colossus Dr. Colossus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2004
Posts: 1,810
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Colossus Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Colossus
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan
I have a problem because of social anxiety, so I end up talking with a lot of girls online and eventually on the phone. Some of them are really sweet and they really seem to like me, but because they live so far away (like across the country), I probably will never be able to see them in person. Is it wrong to romanticize about what a relationship would be like with them?
Like I said, if the idea is to gather enough courage to engage in real interaction, or even just to prepare yourself for an eventual meeting, there is nothing inherently wrong in this. But if, as you say, there is little chance that you will ever even meet them, is this really where you want to focus your energy?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Nov 13, '04, 12:50 pm
Madaglan's Avatar
Madaglan Madaglan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 3,388
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Re: Is looking at hot girls and pictures of them sinful?

Ok, another question for you. What do you do when you have no girlfriend or spouse to think about, but you still feel the natural urges to think about girls, and even look at pictures at them? Usually when this happens I try to think of something else to do; but sometimes there isn't anything else to do: nobody to do things with, nobody on the computer to talk with, not feeling up to reading, nothing on campus to do, have already done my run for the day, etc. So I'll sometimes look at pictures of girls because it makes me feel better without going crazy. I hope that's not horribly wrong. I would like to stop doing that, if there's a realistic alternative.

I'm sure that most of you don't know what I'm talking about, since you're been married for a while now. It's a lot harder when you don't have a girlfriend or spouse. But if you do, can you give me some advice on what I should do?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8023Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
4816CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: 77stanthony77
4284Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: johnthebaptist2
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3810SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3358Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3183Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: CountrySteve
3145Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2959For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
2678Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:54 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.