Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 26, '08, 2:53 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to sawman
Default Romans 12:1-2

I would really appreciate some input as to the meaning of this passge.The wording seems awkward where it says"Brothers,I beg you through the mercy of God to offer your bodies as a living sacrafice holy and acceptable to God,your spiritual worship."I feel like God has given this reading to me recently and really wants me to listen.I have very few and limited ways to share things like this and I am somewhat stumped.Thanks to all.
Old Feb 26, '08, 6:09 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Romans 12:1-2

My NAB says "This moral teaching expresses the necessary response to the gift of justification through faith. It is the Christian's personal sacrificial way of serving God. It consists in the humble use of one's gifts for the benefit of the community."
The rest of the chapter talks about those gifts. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26, '08, 6:42 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
I would really appreciate some input as to the meaning of this passge.The wording seems awkward where it says"Brothers,I beg you through the mercy of God to offer your bodies as a living sacrafice holy and acceptable to God,your spiritual worship."I feel like God has given this reading to me recently and really wants me to listen.I have very few and limited ways to share things like this and I am somewhat stumped.Thanks to all.
D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 1. With this chapter St. Paul begins his second part, in which he gives us most excellent lessons of morality, after which every Christian should aim to form his life, and thus resemble Jesus Christ and his saints. (Haydock) --- That you present your bodies a living sacrifice. And how must this be done? says St. Chrysostom, hom. xx. Let the eye abstain from sinful looks and glances, and it is a sacrifice; the tongue from speaking ill, and it is a sacrifice, &c. --- Your reasonable service, or worship,[1] from you; nothing being more reasonable, than for men to serve God with their souls and bodies, &c. (Witham)

Ver. 2. Take care, lest you imitate the practices of worldlings. Let your heart, your ambition, carry you to heaven: ever despise those things which the world admires, that every one may see by your actions that you are not of the society of worldlings, and have neither regard nor friendship for them. (Calmet) --- Transform yourselves into new men, by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern on all occasions, what is most perfect, most pleasing and acceptable to God. (Bible de Vence)
Old Feb 26, '08, 7:45 pm
Banned

Paul speaks of the offering of our bodies as a sacrifice being truly spiritual worship. The late pastor of St. Cecilia parish once talked about what he wanted for a funeral. His coffin should be a garbage pail, because he wanted to be so used up in the ministry to God's people that the only thing left would be garbage.
I hope this helps you understand St. Paul.

Matthew
Old Feb 27, '08, 10:54 am
Banned

Religion: undecided

The word for body can also be translated as flesh. Basically, I see the text as saying that we are to put our sin nature ( Gal 5 ) on the cross daily. We are also to walk in the spirit, rather than in the flesh, sin nature. We are also to be filled often with the Holy Spirit ( Eph 5:18 ).

See also, Romans 8, II Peter 1.
Old Feb 27, '08, 4:34 pm

St. John Chrysostom said,
Quote:
"For when he had said sacrifice, to prevent any from thinking he bade them kill themselves, he forthwith added (Greek order) "living." Then to distinguish it from the Jewish, he calls it "holy, acceptable to God, your reasonable service." For theirs was a material one, and not very acceptable either.......

So Paul also here bids us "present our bodies a living sacrifice." And how is the body, it may be said, to become a sacrifice? Let the eye look upon no evil thing, and it has become a sacrifice; let your tongue speak nothing filthy, and it has become an offering; let your hand do no lawless deed, and it has become a whole burnt offering. Or rather this is not enough, but we must have good works also: let the hand do alms, the mouth bless them that cross one, and the hearing find leisure evermore for lections of Scripture. For sacrifice allows of no unclean thing: sacrifice is a first-fruit of the other actions. Let us then from our hands, and feet, and mouth, and all other members, yield a first-fruit unto God.
Pelagius, even though he was a heretic, makes good sense, saying,
Quote:
To present your bodies {How much more the soul!} Not the bodies of animals, as under the law, which, in spite of the fact that they were a symbolic offering, were nevertheless offered up healthy and unblemished. As a living sacrifice, holy. That is, pure and free from the total death of sin. Pleasing to God. You should only please God, not people.
Old Feb 27, '08, 4:37 pm

Religion: Catholic/Orthodox Inquirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafdog View Post
Paul speaks of the offering of our bodies as a sacrifice being truly spiritual worship. The late pastor of St. Cecilia parish once talked about what he wanted for a funeral. His coffin should be a garbage pail, because he wanted to be so used up in the ministry to God's people that the only thing left would be garbage.
I hope this helps you understand St. Paul.

Matthew
Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Marsh View Post
The word for body can also be translated as flesh. Basically, I see the text as saying that we are to put our sin nature ( Gal 5 ) on the cross daily. We are also to walk in the spirit, rather than in the flesh, sin nature. We are also to be filled often with the Holy Spirit ( Eph 5:18 ).

See also, Romans 8, II Peter 1.
Well done as well.
"But those who suffer he delivers in their suffering; he speaks to them in their affliction." (Job 36:15)

St. Michael the Archangel
Old Feb 27, '08, 4:53 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to sawman

Thank-you all for your help.I initially thought this verse refered to the idea that God says in so many places not to offer bulls and rams etc.but present a humble and contrite heart.The idea that the kind of sacrifice God is looking for is us.Your posts help me see how my body can be a sacrifice.It's funny how one can think something all the time and as soon as someone else says it ,it's like seeing it new or fresh,from a different perspective.Again, Thanks!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture