Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 3, '08, 4:10 pm
Observing Member

Default Communal Reconciliation Mass

Hi! I am in the process of becoming catholic and am interested in participating in the Sacrament of Reconciliation at my parish this week. They are having a Communal Reconciliation Mass. I know that i will have an opportunity to go forward and confess my sins to the priest. I just want some guidance on the process/what i need to say. I know what to do during a "regular" confession, but how is this different during a Communal Reconciliation Mass. I really appreciate your help!
Old Mar 3, '08, 4:41 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: Communal Reconciliation Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmisch View Post
Hi! I am in the process of becoming catholic and am interested in participating in the Sacrament of Reconciliation at my parish this week. They are having a Communal Reconciliation Mass. I know that i will have an opportunity to go forward and confess my sins to the priest. I just want some guidance on the process/what i need to say. I know what to do during a "regular" confession, but how is this different during a Communal Reconciliation Mass. I really appreciate your help!
First, this is an illicit practice. According to Redemptionis Sacramentum:

Quote:
[76.] Furthermore, according to a most ancient tradition of the Roman Church, it is not permissible to unite the Sacrament of Penance to the Mass in such a way that they become a single liturgical celebration. This does not exclude, however, that Priests other than those celebrating or concelebrating the Mass might hear the confessions of the faithful who so desire, even in the same place where Mass is being celebrated, in order to meet the needs of those faithful.158 This should nevertheless be done in an appropriate manner.
I'm hoping that what you described is not a joining of the Sacrament of Penance with the Mass. Now, communal reconciliation services are allowed and encouraged, however, they must adhere to these guidelines:

Quote:
In accord with the law and practice of the Church, the faithful must orally confess their sins (auricular confession)9, except in cases of true physical or moral impossibility (e.g., extreme illness or physical condition inhibiting speech, speech impediment, etc.) This disposition would exclude communal celebrations of the sacrament in which penitents are invited to present a written list of sins to the priest confessor. It should be noted that such innovations also risk compromising the inviolable seal of sacramental confession.

3. In giving consideration to the authenitic discipline of the Church concerning "general absolution", the recent interdicasterial meeting of the Roman Curia with a representation of Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Australia noted that:

. . . communal celebrations have not infrequently occasioned an illegitimate use of general absolution. This illegitimate use, like other abuses in the administration of the Sacrament of Penance, is to be eliminated.
I realize that I'm probably giving you too much information, but, I believe that information and knowledge about the sacrament of penance are important, especially when you're a newbie.

As far as the procedure is concerned, if this Communal Reconciliation Service is done according to what the Church requires, make your confession as you would do under normal circumstances. Depending on the set-up, you'll either be face-to-face or behind the screen. Start off with "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. This is my first confession." The priest will take it from there and guide you along. Then, after you've confessed your sins, he will assign a penance for you to do. Then, he will, more than likely, ask you to pray the act of contrition. You can probably bring a small copy of the prayer with you. After you make an Act of Contrition, he will give absolution and then dismiss you.

I hope this helps.

Welcome, home!

Last edited by benedictgal; Mar 3, '08 at 4:51 pm. Reason: additional information
Old Mar 3, '08, 5:16 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
It's no different. The Mass will take place as usual using one of the Eucharistic prayers for Reconciliation or service will start with a Liturgy of the Word and conclude with some prayers and an examination of conscience. After Mass or after the service individual celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation is available. It's just a "regular" Confession at that point.
Old Mar 3, '08, 6:15 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Is it a full mass or a Communal Reconciliation Service? The latter would resemble the first part of the mass, the Liturgy of the Word, but would stop after the homily and proceed to individual confessions.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments