Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 5, '08, 8:51 am
Banned

Religion: catechized ROMAN Catholic
Default People who Claim to Have Envisioned Hell or Been There

I read info @ SpiritLessons.com about Hell. People @ this site say they have been taken to Hell by Jesus. Have you read this info?

One Protestant person's testimony @ that site (they are all Protestants, i believe) said he (she?) saw John Lennon in Hell.

But i read this book about a Catholic woman named Maria Simma who claims that John Lennon is now in Heaven, so either the Protestant people @ this site were deceived by the devil (?) or the place Jesus took them was not Hell but (temporary Hell, otherwise known as) Purgatory.

Anyway, i would like to hear your opinions & views on this.

Frankly, if i had to choose which to believe, i would (of course) choose Maria Simma because she is in the right Church.

Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by distracted; Mar 5, '08 at 8:53 am. Reason: to clarify/grammar correction
Old Mar 5, '08, 8:58 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: People who Claim to Have Envisioned Hell or Been There

It is just another type of private revelation.

We have no knowledge of which humans are or are not in hell.
Old Mar 5, '08, 9:03 am

Religion: Catholic

I experienced a vision, or possibly just a very vivid dream, of hell about 2 years ago.

I remember feeling a double-edged sword pierce me through my sternum, and remove the Holy Spirit from me, and then I felt myself falling towards a narrow ring of fire that seemed to stretch on forever. I didn't see anybody else there, nor would I even have noticed them if I had. I remember the fire being full of huge spindly black insect-like creatures, but I also remember not being scared of the fire or of the creatures because I had already lost the only thing worth hoping for, so no hurt could ever be greater than the agony I was already experiencing.

It was a horrific experience, but I believe I was given a vision of that fear now so that I might avoid experiencing it in eternity.
Old Mar 5, '08, 9:09 am
Book Club Member

I think it is horrible to say anyone is in hell, even if you saw them there past the self terror that comsumes you. During my 13th week of chemo, I lay dieing in my bed falling into an abyss only the Lord could have got me out of. Was I near hell. I think, but nothing could be seen at that point, only soulful terror and the crushing weight of sin felt. Have a nice day, Tim
Old Mar 6, '08, 11:02 am
Banned

I tend to think God would not choose to show us who is in Hell.. but God can do whatever he wants..

The Church, i know, takes no position on who is in Hell or not, but during exorcisms, the voice of Hitler has come out of possessed persons.

Anyway, i never was crazy about J. Lennon, never thought of him as any great Christian (etc), but i know that God is loving and forgiving and judges justly.I also know that, according to Marian apparitions, most people go to Purgatory (although, as she said, many go to Hell). I trust the Marian apparitions, particularly the approved ones because, for one thing, holy water was sprinkled on the vision & she (Mary) just smiled.. Holy water sprinkled on a demon or a possessed person will burn him/her.
Anyway, that book by Maria Simma was (is) very interesting. She is (I think) still alive and gets visitations from the souls in Purgatroy on a regular basis..
Old Mar 6, '08, 11:07 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL82 View Post
I experienced a vision, or possibly just a very vivid dream, of hell about 2 years ago.

It was a horrific experience, but I believe I was given a vision of that fear now so that I might avoid experiencing it in eternity.

Very interesting.. Were you laid up in bed or something?

I have experienced "hell" on Earth in certain traumatic, terrifying circumstances, so that is how God showed me "things".. What precipitated that experience (or i should say waht seemed to make my circumstances worse) was praying the rosary.. My situation got worse but spriitually, i began to get better..

Anyway, God meets us where we are.. I wonder if the reason Jesus didn't mention the word Purgatory to those people (@ SpiritLessons.com) was just because thye were Protestant and.. well, for one thing, some people discount things automatically if they are too Catholic-sounding..
Old Mar 6, '08, 11:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP View Post
only soulful terror and the crushing weight of sin felt. Have a nice day, Tim
I could really relate to these words.. I am so thankful that when i once felt this way, i went to the trouble of saying many many prayers & attending many many Masses & going to confession -- so as to get back grace lost from sin..

St. Jude is called the "Refuge of sinners". He is a good one to pray to when one feels the "crushing weight of sin felt."
Old Mar 6, '08, 11:19 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

Didn't Our Lord say at the last Supper "...it would be better had he not been born..."? Was that referenced to Judas?

I am in the middle of a book, "23 Minutes in Hell" by one who had been clinically dead and found himself in a pitch-dark cavern with a barred iron door. Two demons (beyond gross description) entered and began to torture him.

If you would like to get readers' views on this book you might go to Amazon.com....click onto BOOKS and type in : 23 Minutes in hell. There you will view impressions of those that read this book. It is extraordinary, that much I can tell you.
Old Mar 6, '08, 11:36 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstown johnn View Post
Didn't Our Lord say at the last Supper "...it would be better had he not been born..."? Was that referenced to Judas?

I am in the middle of a book, "23 Minutes in Hell" by one who had been clinically dead and found himself in a pitch-dark cavern with a barred iron door. Two demons (beyond gross description) entered and began to torture him.

If you would like to get readers' views on this book you might go to Amazon.com....click onto BOOKS and type in : 23 Minutes in hell. There you will view impressions of those that read this book. It is extraordinary, that much I can tell you.
I've seen that author give a talk on youtube along with an animated story put together by him and other who have had similiar experience's. When I saw it, I was shaken for days. Very disturbing. My experience didn't go that far, but I came out of it in a panic attack, tunnel vision and vertigo. It could have been a painkiller induced nightmare, but I don't think it was. I fought too hard to say alive that night and only the Lord could have given me the strength.Tim
Old Mar 6, '08, 11:51 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP View Post
I've seen that author give a talk on youtube along with an animated story put together by him and other who have had similiar experience's. When I saw it, I was shaken for days. Very disturbing. My experience didn't go that far, but I came out of it in a panic attack, tunnel vision and vertigo. It could have been a painkiller induced nightmare, but I don't think it was. I fought too hard to say alive that night and only the Lord could have given me the strength.Tim
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I am about a third into the book; quite a bit to go yet.

A book such as this can be a wake-up call for us who stray from the "straight-and-narrow." It also instills in us our refuges when threatened (Blessed Mother, Saints and Angels).

The intense heat he experienced while wondering why he was still conscious was very descriptive. He also points out that there absolutely NO form of life there...not even a blade of grass. It is death and darkness and even the Darkness is like an evil entity.

The screams of pain and fright are continuous and beyond anything one can experience in our human condition here above.

Hate is the core of that place...hatred of God is the constant jabber by demons and the damned souls and YET, the absence of God is devastating and mournful. What a contradiction of emotions! In Hell everything is twisted beyond our human imaginations.
Old Mar 6, '08, 12:01 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL82 View Post

I remember feeling a double-edged sword pierce me through my sternum, and remove the Holy Spirit from me, and then I felt myself falling towards a narrow ring of fire that seemed to stretch on forever. I didn't see anybody else there, nor would I even have noticed them if I had. I remember the fire being full of huge spindly black insect-like creatures, but I also remember not being scared of the fire or of the creatures because I had already lost the only thing worth hoping for, so no hurt could ever be greater than the agony I was already experiencing.

I'll share with you an experience that lasted no longer than 10 seconds at the most. I will not go into detail but you will get the gist, I am sure.

I was standing at Church as the Mass was about to begin a person passed by me (I was at an aisle end of the pew) and I sensed the most peculiar feeling...like nothing ever before. As that person walked by I sensed a VACUUM around that person...not a hot or cold sensation; not light or dark but a VACUUM. A kind of VOID. Never heard of anything like this in my life nor can I ever say a VACUUM is a kind of aura or state of vacancy. It seemed "other worldly."

Something extraordinary.
Old Mar 6, '08, 12:56 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Dnieper Swim Team

The children at Fatima (I believe it was Lucia, in particular,) had a vision of Hell.
http://www.fatima.org/essentials/facts/hell.asp

And St. Teresa of Avila had her own experience.
http://www.tldm.org/news6/hell3.htm
Old Mar 6, '08, 1:20 pm
Forum Elder

I would not want to be wrong on proclaiming someone to be either in heaven or hell!

However, my friend Ronnie, five years ago, was an alcoholic crack cocaine addict. He had been on a binge for some time, both high and drunk. He was living in a camper shell off the back of a pickup truck, having no other home. He was arrested on an outstanding warrant and spent time in jail. As he de-toxed, he was in a deep, trance-like sleep for what may have been more than 24 hours. During the course of that time, he received what he describes as a vision of hell. It was absolutely terrifying, with demons doing with him as they pleased. The abuses were unnatural and dehumanizing, violating not only his body, but his spirit. The Lord also revealed to him that this was his eternity, with no hope, if he did not repent of his sins.

When he woke up, he was an emotional mess, crying uncontrollably for some time. When he was released, he began to search for God. This lead him to many different groups and non-C churches. As he puts it, "I was born again three times!" Finally, after not being fulfilled with the experiences he had, he reverted to the Catholic faith of is youth. He was able to make a tear-filled confession and felt the graces coming upon him. The miracle of this is that all desire for either alcohol or crack cocaine were GONE. Not a hint of desire. According to Ronnie, the Lord advised him that he would be forever lost if her returned to those addictions. Instead, he returned to the church with a vengeance, and attends a local clean and sober club, telling all who will listen about the goodness and mercy of the Lord. He has sheltered them and taken them to mass. He now has a job with a company truck, a home, is an EMHC at church. I usually see him at adoration. His life is a walking miracle. I praise God for what He has done with this formerly lost soul. There was celebration in Heaven at his repentance.

So, yes, some people are given private revelations, or visions of hell. But, he was there alone. Just him and the demons, which I think is a more accurate reflection of the horrible reality of hell.

Christ's peace be always with you.
Old Mar 8, '08, 2:47 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: ABC

I have never had a vision of Hell per se..........but I think probably the horror and terrors of psychosis are the closest perhaps one could get to a version of Hell here on earth and I've been there and hope and pray that I will never return and if Hell is anything like psychosis, then I sure dont want to end up there for eternity, nor would I wish psychosis on the very worst of the worst that I can imagine anyway.

Blessings - Barb
Old Mar 8, '08, 10:55 am

Religion: Catholic

I have not actually had a vision of Hell per se, but due to my mental illness (Schizoaffective disorder), I had actually felt that I was already in Hell. This is a delusion on my part and a paranoia as well. Everytime I think about it, it agonizes me day and night and during sleep.

Since joining this forum, I felt a sense of relief because of the comforting words some members gave me.

And I regularly see my psychiatrist who increased my medications so I would not have these thoughts.

As for the people who are claiming to have been in Hell, I honestly have doubts if they were really taken to that place or it was only their dream.

I am also skeptical about Mary Baxter's vision of hell. She may be a hoax, who knows.

The other thing that I read was the 23 minutes in hell, which I am not certain if it is true.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality