Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 13, '04, 6:29 pm

Religion: LDS
Default If a baby dies before it's born what happens?

I just read one of the saddest threads that may be posted on this sight and it brought about alot of questions...
If a baby dies before it is born, what happens? Does it need to be baptized?

What if it dies after being born but before being baptized?

Where do babies go if they die? My cousin's sweet little 8 mo old died a couple of years ago. She believes that her little girl is in heaven...but does the Catholic church teach that? My mother USED to be catholic (she's kinda anti now) She tells me that because my cousin is catholic she should not believe that and that she must have picked it up from another religion.
I am LDS and I know what we teach. I just need to know what your doctrine says... I'll sort it out in my mind and go from there... Knowing me, I'll probably end up with more questions.

Thank you.

Last edited by Peggy Frye; Nov 15, '04 at 8:18 am.
Old Nov 15, '04, 10:14 am
Catholic Answers Apologist

Default Re: If a baby dies before it's born what happens?

The fate of unbaptized children is entrusted to the mercy of God.

1257 The Lord himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation. He also commands his disciples to proclaim the Gospel to all nations and to baptize them. Baptism is necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament. The Church does not know of any means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude; this is why she takes care not to neglect the mission she has received from the Lord to see that all who can be baptized are "reborn of water and the Spirit." God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments.

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"63 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

"The Second Vatican Council stated, "For since Christ died for all (Rom. 8:32) . . . we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partners, in a way known to God, in the paschal mystery" (Gaudium et Spes 22). This includes the young and those severely retarded.

"Some have speculated about what form God's offer of salvation might take to children. One suggestion is that he might enlighten them at the moment of death and enable them to make a choice for or against him. This possibility was endorsed by the nineteenth-century Catholic theologian Heinrich Klee.

Another suggestion is that these persons may have a form of "baptism of desire" through the desire of their parents, of the Church, or of someone else. This would operate the way the faith of the Church suffices to allow infants to be baptized, even though they lack faith themselves. This idea ("vicarious baptism of desire") was endorsed by Cardinal Cajetan at the time of the Reformation."
This Rock, Nov. 1994, Quick Questions column

Oct. 6, 2004 International Theological Commission on fate of unbaptized children.

Baptized babies who die (before the age of reason) will go directly to heaven.

1263 By Baptism all sins are forgiven, original sin and all personal sins, as well as all punishment for sin. In those who have been reborn nothing remains that would impede their entry into the Kingdom of God, neither Adam's sin, nor personal sin, nor the consequences of sin, the gravest of which is separation from God.

Further reading:

Catechism of the Catholic Church Sections 1213-1284

Baptismal Grace

Infant Baptism

Do Aborted Babies Go To Heaven?

Last edited by Peggy Frye; Nov 15, '04 at 10:36 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist