Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Apr 5, '08, 7:10 am
mom4truth mom4truth is offline
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 13, 2007
Posts: 2,997
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

chevalier:

I wouldn't be a bit at all suprised if these girls go "fishing" even at Mass. I look at them and see them flicking their hair around and looking around as if to say: "anybody watching me?" I don't think they're focusing on the Mass at all. AND - I do not think you're a prude. I think our culture has produced a youth of indecency and blatant sexuality. It's sick, really. I think these parents better get on board with the Church. I imagine they're probably not even totally "with" the Church if they make such allowances for their kids' behavior. Our parish pastor has spoken about dressing badly. He made a point to say it's a no-no. It's still going on, but at least he said it!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Apr 5, '08, 7:50 am
SeekerJen SeekerJen is offline
 
Join Date: July 12, 2004
Posts: 5,132
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasikelee View Post
So, I don't know if it's our location or what, but how come all these girls who wear about 2 sq inches of fabric happen to be the unattractive ones? I don't need to see it!
Would it be better if they looked like men's magazine models? IMO trashy and inappropriate is such whether the girl is conventionally attractive or not.

My big gripe is about those skirts that look like they would be better as wide belts- the ones that no girl could safely bend over or even sit in, because they're about 12 inches long. I don't understand that look, and I am at a loss as to why parents would let their girls out of the house in those.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Apr 5, '08, 8:12 am
Miserissima's Avatar
Miserissima Miserissima is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
 
Join Date: February 23, 2007
Posts: 4,535
Religion: Dnieper Swim Team
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

This thread has me so spun up (in a good way. I promise) that I will reply later.
__________________
My Rosary Novena Slideshows: Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious, and Luminous.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Apr 5, '08, 8:56 am
Jeanne_dArc's Avatar
Jeanne_dArc Jeanne_dArc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 22, 2008
Posts: 149
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4truth View Post
chevalier:

I wouldn't be a bit at all suprised if these girls go "fishing" even at Mass. I look at them and see them flicking their hair around and looking around as if to say: "anybody watching me?" I don't think they're focusing on the Mass at all. AND - I do not think you're a prude. I think our culture has produced a youth of indecency and blatant sexuality. It's sick, really. I think these parents better get on board with the Church. I imagine they're probably not even totally "with" the Church if they make such allowances for their kids' behavior. Our parish pastor has spoken about dressing badly. He made a point to say it's a no-no. It's still going on, but at least he said it!
I really would have to say that I'm pretty sure that 98% of the time immodestly dressed girls are not "fishing" at mass. While I dress modestly now, when I was 14 or 15 I didn't dress very modestly (although I usually dressed a bit more modest for mass.) I know that for me, it was not really about getting attention from guys, but more about being like my friends and being fashionable. I really was clueless that it might be distracting to anyone. Most of them probably don't know better. (Although there are exceptions.)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Apr 5, '08, 12:28 pm
hasikelee hasikelee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Posts: 2,680
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJen View Post
Would it be better if they looked like men's magazine models? IMO trashy and inappropriate is such whether the girl is conventionally attractive or not.

My big gripe is about those skirts that look like they would be better as wide belts- the ones that no girl could safely bend over or even sit in, because they're about 12 inches long. I don't understand that look, and I am at a loss as to why parents would let their girls out of the house in those.
We're talking about pre-teens and very young teens, so I doubt many of them will be the airbrushed model of a magazine.

That being said, yes, it would be nicer if they had the body type to go with the choice of clothing.

Not all clothes look attractive or even right on all body types. Maybe these girls are insecure? I dunno.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Apr 5, '08, 12:52 pm
SeekerJen SeekerJen is offline
 
Join Date: July 12, 2004
Posts: 5,132
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasikelee View Post
We're talking about pre-teens and very young teens, so I doubt many of them will be the airbrushed model of a magazine.

That being said, yes, it would be nicer if they had the body type to go with the choice of clothing.

Not all clothes look attractive or even right on all body types. Maybe these girls are insecure? I dunno.
Yeah...still not understanding why it would be nicer. A 13-year-old in a tight top and plumber-crack jeans is completely inappropriate whether she's still built like a child or whether she's got D cup breasts and hips to match (as I did). I actually think it's worse if she's got a figure, because then men will assume she's older and treat her as such.

And yes, I think those girls are insecure, are falling prey to peer pressure, and have parents who won't do their parental duties.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Apr 5, '08, 1:02 pm
mom4truth mom4truth is offline
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 13, 2007
Posts: 2,997
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

I beg to differ about our young girls not knowing that they are causing a "distraction" and inviting glances. I think they know exactly what they're doing. While this may have been the stance in my day (70's/80's), I believe it is the norm today. Our young people have gotten much more worldly than in my day. It's really disgusting. That's my opinion on the subject, and I've witnessed/heard this behavior first-hand. I imagine there are some girls who do not fit this image. Thank God!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Apr 5, '08, 1:17 pm
hasikelee hasikelee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Posts: 2,680
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJen View Post
Yeah...still not understanding why it would be nicer. A 13-year-old in a tight top and plumber-crack jeans is completely inappropriate whether she's still built like a child or whether she's got D cup breasts and hips to match (as I did). I actually think it's worse if she's got a figure, because then men will assume she's older and treat her as such.

And yes, I think those girls are insecure, are falling prey to peer pressure, and have parents who won't do their parental duties.
Well, your post explains why you can't understand it. I stated they were "unattractive" and you take the opposite to mean D cups and hips to match.

I find that unattractive.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Apr 5, '08, 3:13 pm
SeekerJen SeekerJen is offline
 
Join Date: July 12, 2004
Posts: 5,132
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasikelee View Post
Well, your post explains why you can't understand it. I stated they were "unattractive" and you take the opposite to mean D cups and hips to match.

I find that unattractive.
Gee, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Apr 5, '08, 5:21 pm
hasikelee hasikelee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Posts: 2,680
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJen View Post
Gee, thanks.

*sigh* I never get off on the right foot with you on these threads.


Hopefully this doesn't dig me deeper, but I was trying to point out that a 13yo with D-cups wearing a tube top is more distracting than, say, a flat-chested 13yo. It's unattractive, IMO, for a very young teen be flaunting her attributes. I'm not even referencing sexuality here, although I'm sure an argument could be made for that as well.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Apr 5, '08, 7:46 pm
SeekerJen SeekerJen is offline
 
Join Date: July 12, 2004
Posts: 5,132
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasikelee View Post
*sigh* I never get off on the right foot with you on these threads.


Hopefully this doesn't dig me deeper, but I was trying to point out that a 13yo with D-cups wearing a tube top is more distracting than, say, a flat-chested 13yo. It's unattractive, IMO, for a very young teen be flaunting her attributes. I'm not even referencing sexuality here, although I'm sure an argument could be made for that as well.
No arguments from me on the distraction factor. You're right about that. I would still question any parent who would let their teen wear a tube top, especially to Mass.

Another thing I've noticed: teen girls with long, super-straight hair, who will sit in class or Church (or on the bus, or in the mall) and "pet" their hair. Seriously, what is up with that? I had the misfortune to sit behind a pair of teen sisters who had the aforementioned hair. One of them spent the entire Mass tossing her ponytail (which nearly swatted me in the face on one occasion) and the other had her tail over her shoulder and was stroking it like one would a pet cat. Between the hair and the miniskirts, I'm pretty sure the poor guy sitting next to me had his head down the entire time.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Apr 6, '08, 8:28 am
hasikelee hasikelee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Posts: 2,680
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJen View Post
No arguments from me on the distraction factor. You're right about that. I would still question any parent who would let their teen wear a tube top, especially to Mass.

Another thing I've noticed: teen girls with long, super-straight hair, who will sit in class or Church (or on the bus, or in the mall) and "pet" their hair. Seriously, what is up with that? I had the misfortune to sit behind a pair of teen sisters who had the aforementioned hair. One of them spent the entire Mass tossing her ponytail (which nearly swatted me in the face on one occasion) and the other had her tail over her shoulder and was stroking it like one would a pet cat. Between the hair and the miniskirts, I'm pretty sure the poor guy sitting next to me had his head down the entire time.

Oh, and they like to take their hair out of the ponytail, swish it around, then put it back in a new style.

We had a girl one time turn around and face my brother in the middle of Mass. She took her chapstick out of her little purse and put it on all slowly (like out of a movie) while staring right at him. It wasn't seductive, let's put it that way. My brother was just like "heh??? "
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Apr 6, '08, 11:57 am
sanctamaria17 sanctamaria17 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: February 27, 2007
Posts: 1,963
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Ayyyyy..........

Personally, I don't think the ultra low-rise look is very attractive to begin with, regardless of how developed your figure is or your body type. I'll admit, there were times that I wasn't modest at Mass when I was that age, but I was a convert and really DIDN'T know how to dress for church! (no one really cares in my hometown). Now, I know better.

Parents really need to step up to the plate, but I think more adults should be catechized as well, since it seems that my parents' generation wasn't properly catechized and is just going through motions. And parents need to be better about setting limits and saying no. Also, it's scary how our society is sexualizing children and selling so many immodest clothing for young kids, sometimes without parents even realizing. My aunt got panties for her four-year-old and in the package was one that had Tinkerbelle on the front and it said "Can't catch this!" on the back!! Needless to say, she threw them out. But this was for FOUR-YEAR-OLDS. Like, kids who were just recently POTTY-TRAINED!!
__________________
"If you can't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Catholic, progressive, and young. The second and third do not bar me from participation.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:05 am
mom4truth mom4truth is offline
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 13, 2007
Posts: 2,997
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Amen to that, Sancatamaria. Still likes seductive to me if she turned and faced your brother and put her chapstick on slowly....gross! Get a life - with God! (the girl in church).
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:15 am
why me why me is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 17, 2007
Posts: 4,942
Religion: happy go lucky
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

Although this thread is about young girls, we seem to be forgetting young women and just how they dress for Mass. They can be dressed pretty provocatively at times.

I remember a nun telling something interesting and it was something that I never considered. The priest takes a vow of chasity but he is also a human being. When young women come up for communion dressed immodestly, it can be problematic for the priest. Their mind can wonder. So said the nun and I aggree with her.

Certainly during Mass his mind should be on the blessed sacrament and not on various parts of the female body. But dressing in such a way, these parishioners can cause a problem for the priest.

And so men and women should be dressed modestly in god's house.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music in the Catholic Church northshoreeagle Liturgy and Sacraments 95 Apr 28, '08 5:43 am
Catholic Herald: Catholicism - young - fresh - vigorous - returning toÖ France? [Fr. Z] Catholic Opinion Traditional Catholicism 0 Nov 25, '07 9:30 am
Your Notre Dame Mormon on The Church of the Devil NotreDameMormon Non-Catholic Religions 49 Nov 1, '06 10:15 am
Vatican II, the Historical Church and Protestants CatherineofA Apologetics 8 Sep 24, '06 9:36 pm



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8570Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5243CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3902Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3877SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3471Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3322Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3172For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SueZee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:38 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.