Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 5, '08, 7:10 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Young girls wearing revealing clothes to church

chevalier:

I wouldn't be a bit at all suprised if these girls go "fishing" even at Mass. I look at them and see them flicking their hair around and looking around as if to say: "anybody watching me?" I don't think they're focusing on the Mass at all. AND - I do not think you're a prude. I think our culture has produced a youth of indecency and blatant sexuality. It's sick, really. I think these parents better get on board with the Church. I imagine they're probably not even totally "with" the Church if they make such allowances for their kids' behavior. Our parish pastor has spoken about dressing badly. He made a point to say it's a no-no. It's still going on, but at least he said it!

Old Apr 5, '08, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasikelee View Post
So, I don't know if it's our location or what, but how come all these girls who wear about 2 sq inches of fabric happen to be the unattractive ones? I don't need to see it!
Would it be better if they looked like men's magazine models? IMO trashy and inappropriate is such whether the girl is conventionally attractive or not.

My big gripe is about those skirts that look like they would be better as wide belts- the ones that no girl could safely bend over or even sit in, because they're about 12 inches long. I don't understand that look, and I am at a loss as to why parents would let their girls out of the house in those.
Old Apr 5, '08, 8:12 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Dnieper Swim Team

This thread has me so spun up (in a good way. I promise) that I will reply later.
Old Apr 5, '08, 8:56 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4truth View Post
chevalier:

I wouldn't be a bit at all suprised if these girls go "fishing" even at Mass. I look at them and see them flicking their hair around and looking around as if to say: "anybody watching me?" I don't think they're focusing on the Mass at all. AND - I do not think you're a prude. I think our culture has produced a youth of indecency and blatant sexuality. It's sick, really. I think these parents better get on board with the Church. I imagine they're probably not even totally "with" the Church if they make such allowances for their kids' behavior. Our parish pastor has spoken about dressing badly. He made a point to say it's a no-no. It's still going on, but at least he said it!
I really would have to say that I'm pretty sure that 98% of the time immodestly dressed girls are not "fishing" at mass. While I dress modestly now, when I was 14 or 15 I didn't dress very modestly (although I usually dressed a bit more modest for mass.) I know that for me, it was not really about getting attention from guys, but more about being like my friends and being fashionable. I really was clueless that it might be distracting to anyone. Most of them probably don't know better. (Although there are exceptions.)
Old Apr 5, '08, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJen View Post
Would it be better if they looked like men's magazine models? IMO trashy and inappropriate is such whether the girl is conventionally attractive or not.

My big gripe is about those skirts that look like they would be better as wide belts- the ones that no girl could safely bend over or even sit in, because they're about 12 inches long. I don't understand that look, and I am at a loss as to why parents would let their girls out of the house in those.
We're talking about pre-teens and very young teens, so I doubt many of them will be the airbrushed model of a magazine.

That being said, yes, it would be nicer if they had the body type to go with the choice of clothing.

Not all clothes look attractive or even right on all body types. Maybe these girls are insecure? I dunno.
Old Apr 5, '08, 12:52 pm

Quote:
We're talking about pre-teens and very young teens, so I doubt many of them will be the airbrushed model of a magazine.

That being said, yes, it would be nicer if they had the body type to go with the choice of clothing.

Not all clothes look attractive or even right on all body types. Maybe these girls are insecure? I dunno.
Yeah...still not understanding why it would be nicer. A 13-year-old in a tight top and plumber-crack jeans is completely inappropriate whether she's still built like a child or whether she's got D cup breasts and hips to match (as I did). I actually think it's worse if she's got a figure, because then men will assume she's older and treat her as such.

And yes, I think those girls are insecure, are falling prey to peer pressure, and have parents who won't do their parental duties.
Old Apr 5, '08, 1:02 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I beg to differ about our young girls not knowing that they are causing a "distraction" and inviting glances. I think they know exactly what they're doing. While this may have been the stance in my day (70's/80's), I believe it is the norm today. Our young people have gotten much more worldly than in my day. It's really disgusting. That's my opinion on the subject, and I've witnessed/heard this behavior first-hand. I imagine there are some girls who do not fit this image. Thank God!

Old Apr 5, '08, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Yeah...still not understanding why it would be nicer. A 13-year-old in a tight top and plumber-crack jeans is completely inappropriate whether she's still built like a child or whether she's got D cup breasts and hips to match (as I did). I actually think it's worse if she's got a figure, because then men will assume she's older and treat her as such.

And yes, I think those girls are insecure, are falling prey to peer pressure, and have parents who won't do their parental duties.
Well, your post explains why you can't understand it. I stated they were "unattractive" and you take the opposite to mean D cups and hips to match.

I find that unattractive.
Old Apr 5, '08, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Well, your post explains why you can't understand it. I stated they were "unattractive" and you take the opposite to mean D cups and hips to match.

I find that unattractive.
Gee, thanks.
Old Apr 5, '08, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Gee, thanks.

*sigh* I never get off on the right foot with you on these threads.

Hopefully this doesn't dig me deeper, but I was trying to point out that a 13yo with D-cups wearing a tube top is more distracting than, say, a flat-chested 13yo. It's unattractive, IMO, for a very young teen be flaunting her attributes. I'm not even referencing sexuality here, although I'm sure an argument could be made for that as well.
Old Apr 5, '08, 7:46 pm

Quote:
*sigh* I never get off on the right foot with you on these threads.

Hopefully this doesn't dig me deeper, but I was trying to point out that a 13yo with D-cups wearing a tube top is more distracting than, say, a flat-chested 13yo. It's unattractive, IMO, for a very young teen be flaunting her attributes. I'm not even referencing sexuality here, although I'm sure an argument could be made for that as well.
No arguments from me on the distraction factor. You're right about that. I would still question any parent who would let their teen wear a tube top, especially to Mass.

Another thing I've noticed: teen girls with long, super-straight hair, who will sit in class or Church (or on the bus, or in the mall) and "pet" their hair. Seriously, what is up with that? I had the misfortune to sit behind a pair of teen sisters who had the aforementioned hair. One of them spent the entire Mass tossing her ponytail (which nearly swatted me in the face on one occasion) and the other had her tail over her shoulder and was stroking it like one would a pet cat. Between the hair and the miniskirts, I'm pretty sure the poor guy sitting next to me had his head down the entire time.
Old Apr 6, '08, 8:28 am

Quote:
No arguments from me on the distraction factor. You're right about that. I would still question any parent who would let their teen wear a tube top, especially to Mass.

Another thing I've noticed: teen girls with long, super-straight hair, who will sit in class or Church (or on the bus, or in the mall) and "pet" their hair. Seriously, what is up with that? I had the misfortune to sit behind a pair of teen sisters who had the aforementioned hair. One of them spent the entire Mass tossing her ponytail (which nearly swatted me in the face on one occasion) and the other had her tail over her shoulder and was stroking it like one would a pet cat. Between the hair and the miniskirts, I'm pretty sure the poor guy sitting next to me had his head down the entire time.

Oh, and they like to take their hair out of the ponytail, swish it around, then put it back in a new style.

We had a girl one time turn around and face my brother in the middle of Mass. She took her chapstick out of her little purse and put it on all slowly (like out of a movie) while staring right at him. It wasn't seductive, let's put it that way. My brother was just like "heh??? "
Old Apr 6, '08, 11:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Ayyyyy..........

Personally, I don't think the ultra low-rise look is very attractive to begin with, regardless of how developed your figure is or your body type. I'll admit, there were times that I wasn't modest at Mass when I was that age, but I was a convert and really DIDN'T know how to dress for church! (no one really cares in my hometown). Now, I know better.

Parents really need to step up to the plate, but I think more adults should be catechized as well, since it seems that my parents' generation wasn't properly catechized and is just going through motions. And parents need to be better about setting limits and saying no. Also, it's scary how our society is sexualizing children and selling so many immodest clothing for young kids, sometimes without parents even realizing. My aunt got panties for her four-year-old and in the package was one that had Tinkerbelle on the front and it said "Can't catch this!" on the back!! Needless to say, she threw them out. But this was for FOUR-YEAR-OLDS. Like, kids who were just recently POTTY-TRAINED!!

Catholic, progressive, and young. The second and third do not bar me from participation.
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:05 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Amen to that, Sancatamaria. Still likes seductive to me if she turned and faced your brother and put her chapstick on slowly....gross! Get a life - with God! (the girl in church).

Old Apr 7, '08, 7:15 am
Banned

Religion: happy go lucky

Although this thread is about young girls, we seem to be forgetting young women and just how they dress for Mass. They can be dressed pretty provocatively at times.

I remember a nun telling something interesting and it was something that I never considered. The priest takes a vow of chasity but he is also a human being. When young women come up for communion dressed immodestly, it can be problematic for the priest. Their mind can wonder. So said the nun and I aggree with her.

Certainly during Mass his mind should be on the blessed sacrament and not on various parts of the female body. But dressing in such a way, these parishioners can cause a problem for the priest.

And so men and women should be dressed modestly in god's house.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life