Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 14, '08, 4:19 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Birth in the 1940's - this couple is just so sweet!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6159909.stm

I think this couple is just adorable - what a sweet story, even if it does show a not so pretty picture of having a baby in the 1940's.

I thought the moms and dads here would appreciate this.

~Liza
Old Mar 14, '08, 4:32 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Birth in the 1940's - this couple is just so sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6159909.stm

I think this couple is just adorable - what a sweet story, even if it does show a not so pretty picture of having a baby in the 1940's.

I thought the moms and dads here would appreciate this.

~Liza
I trained as a nurse in 1973 and at my training hospital dads were still not allowed in the delivery room and moms still had their hands tied to the handles on the delivery table. Since I have a fear of being restrained, I freaked at that and became scared to death of having kids. It was only a few years later when I went to work in a hospital where 98% of the deliveries were done by midwives, often in the bed, that I witnessed how beautiful a delivery could be that I became comfortable with the idea of having a baby -- although I still didn't want any.
Old Mar 14, '08, 4:43 pm

That was a really cute story. Have to say that is the way it was done 50 years ago too when I was born. Only I came so fast the hospital staff didn't have time to make sure my mom was "under" when I came - I was actually delivered by a doctor who had been visiting his wife in the maternity ward because the regular doctor hadn't arrived yet!

I do like the way it is done now with dad's being able to be present if they want to and little or no drugs if possible. I delivered three babies with nothing more than a shot of demoral for pain. It was hard work and painful but well worth it .

Brenda V.

Old Mar 14, '08, 4:58 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Brenda - you might be interested in this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7292565.stm

~LIza
Old Mar 14, '08, 6:14 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
I trained as a nurse in 1973 and at my training hospital dads were still not allowed in the delivery room and moms still had their hands tied to the handles on the delivery table. Since I have a fear of being restrained, I freaked at that and became scared to death of having kids. It was only a few years later when I went to work in a hospital where 98% of the deliveries were done by midwives, often in the bed, that I witnessed how beautiful a delivery could be that I became comfortable with the idea of having a baby -- although I still didn't want any.
Hrm! I was born in 1973 and according to my mom, I was arriving so quickly that they almost didn't have time to get my dad in the delivery room with his mask and gown on. She said it was a world away from her experience delivering in a Navy hospital in 1970--they "weren't ready" for her to give birth, so they gave her meds to delay her labor for hours and then gave her meds to "restart" her.
Old Mar 14, '08, 7:28 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineajt View Post
Hrm! I was born in 1973 and according to my mom, I was arriving so quickly that they almost didn't have time to get my dad in the delivery room with his mask and gown on. She said it was a world away from her experience delivering in a Navy hospital in 1970--they "weren't ready" for her to give birth, so they gave her meds to delay her labor for hours and then gave her meds to "restart" her.
I guess they didn't know that "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"

I remember asking the nursing instructor why dads weren't allowed in the delivery room and she replied that it was precisely because it was a training hospital and they didn't want dads in there when they were training residents and interns. After witnessing my first intern delivery I understood perfectly why that was.
Old Mar 14, '08, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
Brenda - you might be interested in this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7292565.stm

~LIza
Another great story. I managed without much for pain relief because I actually had three very good OB's (different ones for each child) and my husband was wonderful and supportive as well as the fact that epidural's scare the living daylights out of me! I am very prone to migraines and the fear of getting something akin to one after delivery was enough for me to "see it through"! I know that it is rare to get that "after epidural headache" but I tend to be the one to get the "rare" reaction to things.

I have noticed far more inductions and elective C-sections lately. As a matter of fact my good friends two daughter's who were due two days apart, one chose an elective C-Section (she was less than two years away from an emergency one) and the other one was induced - she is a tiny girl and they didn't want the baby to get too big and she was 6lbs. 11 oz. and was induced only two days before due date.

I do have to wonder what the trends are here in the US compared to GB (Great Britain - where the articles we have been reading are form). I think it is time for me to go to bed - I am starting to repeat myself (I deleted the repeat).

Good night ladies and any gents who stumble into this thread.

Brenda V.

Old Mar 15, '08, 8:16 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Dr. ****-Read's exercises were still in vogue when I was first pregnant in the 70s, along with Leboyer and Lemaze techniques.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting