Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 17, '08, 10:30 pm

Default Is it okay to listen to this?....

Before my conversion, I used to listen to nice soft music like Enya etc. I am going through a time right now in my life where I could really use that soothing "spa" type music. I have my religious music...catholic songs, chant etc. Right now, I am wanted something like this. My only problem is that it seems to fall under that "new age" title which is something I want nothing to do with. So, just because Enya is called new age, I don't know if it is necessarily that. However, and don't laugh, but I wonder if all that music might have subliminal stuff in it that could be dangerous. Am I a total dork or what. Any ideas or suggestions??? But, I would really like that spa type soothing music...
Old Mar 17, '08, 11:18 pm

Religion: relapsed Catholic (I mean relapsed not lapsed)
Default Re: Is it okay to listen to this?....

"New Age" as a poorly-defined musical genre (generally synonymous with "world music") is different from New Age spirituality, though practitioners of the second may like the first. And subliminal messages in music are mostly a myth. Listen to as much Enya as you like,
Old Mar 17, '08, 11:38 pm

Religion: Catholic

Dear Monica,
thank you very much for asking this question because it is nice to see that you are seeking what is of the Holy Spirit and what is not. Now, there are certain musical genres that are not of the Lord, but of Satan. For example, Satanic music, of course, Death Metal, and songs that encourage suicidal thoughts, immoral sexual intimacy, drugs, denying God, drunkedness, etc. If you haven't realized already, this takes away a lot of today's modern music, like some rap, some rock, etc.

Now, Enya's music, for the most part, is not of the Holy Spirit, because her music is centered around New Age thought. The New Age movement/thought is completely Satanic. If you study intensely about their beliefs, and the founders of the movement, you will find that Satan is their leader, literally. Thus, the New Age movement and their practices are completely opposite to Christian Theology/Teaching.

The Bible, and the saints, clearly talk about an ongoing battle that we go through in our lives as Christians, not one of flesh and blood, but a battle against spiritual darkness, a battle against demonic forces(Philipians 6). Therefore, we must stay strong and reject was is against Christ and embrace that which is of Christ.

God Bless,
ejreydrum
Old Mar 17, '08, 11:48 pm

Than again, I'm not so sure about the influence the New Age Movement has on Enya and her songs, but if it were up to me, I wouldn't listen to it, just to be on the safe side.

God Bless,
ejreydrum
Old Mar 18, '08, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejreydrum View Post
Than again, I'm not so sure about the influence the New Age Movement has on Enya and her songs, but if it were up to me, I wouldn't listen to it, just to be on the safe side.

God Bless,
ejreydrum
As I said above, "New Age" is just a poor catch-all label for what's also called "world music". These days it has very little to do with New Age spirituality. And Enya is very commercial New Age music. It's pretty and such, not "spiritual".

(Don't like New Age music and think that the New Age movement is silly; I just want to be fair.)
Old Mar 18, '08, 7:23 am

As a musician that grew up when so-called New age music was rising, I never associated it with occultic New Age.

Enya denies she is even a New Age artist as well. From the Wiki: "Although her Grammys were for "Best New Age Album", Enya does not personally classify her music as belonging to the New Age genre."

I couldn't find anything on her beliefs, but I don't see anything wrong with listening to Enya in and of itself.
Old Mar 18, '08, 10:35 am

I'm a big fan of Enya...I see nothing wrong with her music.

--St. Thomas More

Old Mar 18, '08, 2:48 pm

"New Age" is just the term Enya falls into. There is nothing occult about it. People really need to distinguish between these things.

It's called "New Age" because it conjures up laconic, soothing, trance like melodies and rhythms. You could probably say the same thing about Gregorian Chant, except Enya uses a synthesizer keyboard instead of human voice.

Exactly what this has to do with the New Age, I have no idea. I suggest looking at Wikipedia for the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_age_music

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with it. The Occult is certainly something to stay away from, but I don't see how Enya is occult.
Old Mar 18, '08, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrank View Post
It's called "New Age" because it conjures up laconic, soothing, trance like melodies and rhythms. You could probably say the same thing about Gregorian Chant
Even though I disagree with you on this, I do get what you're trying to say, and maybe she isn't part of the New Age movement, but then again, we don't know.
Old Mar 18, '08, 10:49 pm

Yaaaayyy!!! Thank you for all your anwers. I plan on finding some of her music, but I will try to do some research and find out her point of view just to be safe. I think you were right about the new age vs. world music. I love the world music. Do you guys have any other music similiar to Enya that you would suggest??
Old Mar 19, '08, 12:47 am
Forum Supporter

Loreena McKennitt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCiDm8H1ggU
Old Mar 19, '08, 7:47 am

Enya's sister, Maire Brennan (aka Moya Brennan) has similar music that has been promoted by the Contemporary Christian community. She was a part of Clannad too.

Celtic Woman has been sold in Ignatius' Press catalogs (even though there is nothing explicitly Catholic about their music, and even though Ignatius Press consistently ignores explicitly Catholic artists in place of Elvis Presley... but that's another topic altogether).

Iona (not to be confused with GIA's "Iona Community"), and its lead singer, Joanna Hogg, have fantastic recordings with a soothing Celtic feel.

Seek out "Deep Still" (and its sequels)--a joint effort including Hillsongs' Darlene Zschech and Ceili Rain's Bob Halligan Jr, for contemporary praise songs with a Celtic feel (some more soothing than others).

Jeff Johnson is also well worth seeking after, including his "Psalmus".

A few years back, the CCM community promoted "Streams", which Moya Brennan is on, and is an exceptional album with tons of great artists, including a fantastic song with 4Him and Jon Anderson from YES.

Also, Michelle Tumes' albums, particularly her first album.

Lastly, check out Michael W Smith's "Freedom"--it's an instrumental record, very classically-based, recorded partially with Ireland's Philharmonic Orchestra. It's very, very good.

And did I forget to mention John Michael Talbot? With fifty albums to his credit, he has a series of instrumental albums "Pathways", as well as "Empty Canvas" that are quite soothing. His most Celtic-flavored offering is "God of Life".

Nick

P.S. I'm openly wondering if ejreydrum drinks Folgers' Crystals. I mean, they say it's not reallly "crystals" in the New Age sense, but you never can tell...
Old Mar 19, '08, 12:59 pm

Religion: Pagan

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with Enyas music. She actually sings some Christian songs.
Music itself, whether it's hard rock, pop, classical, ect, is not sinful. It's what some singers sing about that is sinful. You really have to listen to the words sometimes. there have been some singers that I thought were singing about something really bad, then when I really listened close to the words I realized they weren't singing about it in a positive light.
I listen to music that might be called new age (Enya, Moya Brennan, Clannad, Secret Garden) and it doesn't affect my faith.
Old Mar 19, '08, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedtoo View Post
I just found that CD this weekend after it having been missing for years (I bought it in '98 and hadn't been able to find it since '01). It's wonderful. Her earlier work is more European influenced than this (more Russian and Middle Eastern style), but I think you'll like it.
Old Mar 19, '08, 5:24 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!! I have loved this song for yeeeaars and never new who sang it. I loooooove this song. I am so glad to know who sings it. I can't believe this, all these years and I would hum he melody to people and they would just look at me.
I am really looking forward to the other suggestions listed, as well...
We are mourning the loss of my Uncle, who was one of the sweetest men I have ever known, and this type of music seems to soothe, ya know.
It is also a little ironic that it seems to be of the celtic origin...my uncle was the most Irish man you'd know (from his proud Irish attire, esp. on St. P's day to his Irish Spring soap) May he be at rest with you Our Lord God, the Blessed Mother, and all the Angels and Saints....

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media