Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 21, '08, 9:01 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Where did Jesus do from 12 years old until He showed Him self the first time??

Hi,
I always wonder about what Jesus do from 12 years old until He showed Himself the first time. I mean in the scripture, there's nothing talk about it. The last is when His parents looked for Him and He was in the temple. Then, there's nothing until He was baptized.
Can anyone explain about it??
Old Mar 21, '08, 9:42 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Where did Jesus do from 12 years old until He showed Him self the first time??

Jesus did not start His public ministry until around 30 years of age.
Chronology of the Life of Jesus Christ

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Mar 21, '08, 10:47 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Default Re: Where did Jesus do from 12 years old until He showed Him self the first time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wina View Post
Hi,
I always wonder about what Jesus do from 12 years old until He showed Himself the first time. I mean in the scripture, there's nothing talk about it. The last is when His parents looked for Him and He was in the temple. Then, there's nothing until He was baptized.
Scripture doesn't mention it and the Church has no official stance on it so we can conclude that God has deemed our knowing the details of this period of Jesus' life not directly essential for our salvation. Apart from that God is not obligated to satisfy our idle curiousity.

There are some pious legends surrounding this time, but they are neither reliably historical or reveled truth. Some people are able to take them for what they are and derive some spiritual benefit from them. Others treat them as facts and almost inspired and bristle at anyone pointing out they are neither. If one wants to "fill in the gaps" as part of their own private meditations, that's OK. But the danger is when people get so attached to these to the extent they build false doctrine and practices around them and thus fall into error (or lead others there).

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Mar 21, '08, 10:50 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

He was home schooled after the Holy Family returned from Eqypt.

They were there for a number of years, I would suppose, until Joseph guided them back to safety.

Can you just imagine Mary had the unique chance to learn all about God....... from God.
Old Mar 21, '08, 10:52 am

Religion: catholic

This is precisely another proof of scripture NOT being a blow by blow account of the life of Christ nor what he did, either as a child or as an adult. Yet another reason why Sacred Scripture ALONE cannot be the sole authority of God.
Old Mar 21, '08, 3:20 pm

Jesus was known as a carpenter (Mark 6:3), the presumed son of Joseph, a carpenter (Matthew 13:55). It seems reasonable to assume that Jesus spent his "hidden" years, between the ages of 12 and 30, learning and practicing the carpentry trade.
Old Mar 21, '08, 4:44 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Bitter Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinthemartyr View Post
This is precisely another proof of scripture NOT being a blow by blow account of the life of Christ nor what he did, either as a child or as an adult. Yet another reason why Sacred Scripture ALONE cannot be the sole authority of God.
The fact that this is missing does not disprove sola scriptura. It just means that what was not included is not necessary for salvation.
Old Mar 21, '08, 4:57 pm

Anne Rice wrote a book that suggests some interesting speculations on just this question.

http://www.annerice.com/

"Christ the Lord"
Old Mar 21, '08, 6:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Jesus did not start His public ministry until around 30 years of age.
Chronology of the Life of Jesus Christ
Thanks for giving me the Chronology of the Life of Jesus Christ. And yes, there are some parts that I always wonder when I read the scripture.
When did Jesus realized that He is a Son of God?? when he was 12 exactly or..?? and before He started His ministry at 30, so why He didn't start earlier??
Old Mar 21, '08, 6:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinthemartyr View Post
Well, sorry that I don't agree with you. Yes, the scripture doesn't tell us about it but it's still our guidence for our lives (my opinion)
Old Mar 21, '08, 6:52 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Thanks for giving me the Chronology of the Life of Jesus Christ. And yes, there are some parts that I always wonder when I read the scripture.
When did Jesus realized that He is a Son of God?? when he was 12 exactly or..?? and before He started His ministry at 30, so why He didn't start earlier??
His Divine Nature knew it immediately.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Mar 21, '08, 6:55 pm

some non-canonical gospels have accounts of Jesus as a child. Is some of them, he is even portrayed as a trouble maker. But then again, they are NON-CANONICAL. And are probably non-canonical for good reason, so they are probably worth ignoring all together actually.
Old Mar 21, '08, 6:56 pm
Forum Elder

Hypostatic Union

then read

The Incarnation

then

Knowledge of Jesus Christ

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Mar 21, '08, 9:32 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Hi,
Those are termed as the 'hidden years' of Jesus, since the Bible does not relate anything about Jesus from His birth until His twelfth year, and from there until His appearance (as a thirty year-old) at the Jordan Area.

We can presume that, like Joseph, He worked as a 'tekton' (a carpenter/workman), perhaps doing anything from making tables to working on buildings.

Just as mentioned above, there are many Apocryphal Gospels which show Jesus, first as some kind of 'holy terror' and an 'infant prodigy' (such as pushing off His playmates from a roof and raising them up again, striking blind and lame the parents of playmates who complain to Joseph and Mary, correcting and explaining the letters of the alphabet in depth to a teacher who offered to teach Him His letters) who eventually, as He grows up, use His Power for more benign purposes (such as healing James from a snake bite and a man or boy who accidentally chopped off his foot, lengthening a piece of wood by stretching it or carrying water using His cloak since He broke His pitcher).

As for why Jesus started when He was already 30, this was because back then, a man below his thirties would still be considered 'young' and a 'juvenile'. I guess He decided to start at the age wherein He would be considered as living in the prime of His life, i.e. a full-fledged adult.
Old Mar 22, '08, 4:08 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic. But what do I know?

Luke 2: 51Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Seems fairly straightforward to me. He spent the intervening years with His parents, growing in wisdom, maturing, until He was ready to start His ministry.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture