Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 21, '08, 6:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Communion on Good Friday

Someone help me understand this...I was told that Catholics do not celebrate Communion on Good Friday but today I was watching EWTN and watched the Pope celebrate Communion. Am i not understanding something??
Old Mar 21, '08, 6:25 pm

Default Re: Communion on Good Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by t68ware View Post
Someone help me understand this...I was told that Catholics do not celebrate Communion on Good Friday but today I was watching EWTN and watched the Pope celebrate Communion. Am i not understanding something??
Here is the clarification: there is no mass on Good Friday, but there is communion. The hosts used on Good Friday were consecrated the night before, at the Holy Thursday mass. Note that in the Service of Good Friday, no consecration takes place.
Old Mar 22, '08, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedictine View Post
Here is the clarification: there is no mass on Good Friday, but there is communion. The hosts used on Good Friday were consecrated the night before, at the Holy Thursday mass. Note that in the Service of Good Friday, no consecration takes place.
Thank you! I did notice no consecration taking place. Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 22, '08, 9:47 am
Banned

Quote:
As has been said, there is no Mass allowed to be celebrated on Good Friday - Jesus Christ has died. There is a service, though, called the Liturgy of the Presanctified that includes Veneration of the Cross and Ancient Intercessions as well as Communion.

http://fisheaters.com/customslent14.html
Old Mar 22, '08, 3:23 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedictine View Post
But the Tabernacle is supposed to be clear and open on Good Friday, isn't it?
Old Mar 22, '08, 3:43 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
But the Tabernacle is supposed to be clear and open on Good Friday, isn't it?
The main tabernacle is, yes. But the hosts of course are moved on Holy Thursday to a side tabernacle (many churches have more than one) or altar, called the 'altar of repose'. And there they are kept until Easter Vigil, some or most in the meantime being used for Good Friday services.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 26, '08, 9:45 pm
Registering

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to preV2tradcath

As an interesting historical note, it is rather recent that the people receive communion on Good Friday. At one time only the priest received. If memory serves me correctly, the congregation started to receive communion on that day due to changes approved either by Pius XII or John XXIII.
Old Mar 27, '08, 7:10 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by preV2tradcath View Post
As an interesting historical note, it is rather recent that the people receive communion on Good Friday. At one time only the priest received. If memory serves me correctly, the congregation started to receive communion on that day due to changes approved either by Pius XII or John XXIII.
It was Pope Pius XII who began the practice of distibution of communion on Good Friday with his Holy Week revisions of 1955. Some sedevacantist priests reject even these changes and therefore still don't distibute communion on Good Friday.
Old Mar 27, '08, 5:49 pm
Forum Elder

It may be splitting hairs, but isn't it true that Vatican II tried to encourage distributing communions only for that Mass so that there would be that feel of greater participation? So it seems that on Good Friday, since there is no Mass, there shouldn't be communions distributed except, of course, for viaticum purposes. There is a reason why Masses (and consecrations) aren't celebrated on Good Friday and I think we need to follow the spirit of that reason. When we receive, we in fact receive from a Mass. But there is no Mass allowed on that day.
Old Mar 27, '08, 6:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
It may be splitting hairs, but isn't it true that Vatican II tried to encourage distributing communions only for that Mass so that there would be that feel of greater participation? So it seems that on Good Friday, since there is no Mass, there shouldn't be communions distributed except, of course, for viaticum purposes. There is a reason why Masses (and consecrations) aren't celebrated on Good Friday and I think we need to follow the spirit of that reason. But that's only my opinion.
The change took place before Vatican II was even convoked. There were two customs in 7-8th century Rome. One was as you mentioned- in the Papal liturgy there was no Communion. This practice later fell out. However, in some of the other churches there was Communion which was distributed to all.

I feel the same as you- that no Communion better serves the idea of refraining when mourning. It was in fact one of the things proposed (by Fr. Jungmann) for the revised Holy Week. The other proposal, of course, was for the Communion of the faithful., which ultimately won out.

But if there is Communion, I see not reason not to extend it to the faithful. One might well ask why then on Good Friday does the celebrant receive Communion especially since unlike a Mass, he is not bound to, since there is no sacrifice.
Old Mar 28, '08, 3:48 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV View Post
One might well ask why then on Good Friday does the celebrant receive Communion especially since unlike a Mass, he is not bound to, since there is no sacrifice.
Good point. It seems a little more thought should have gone into allowing the celebrant (if that's his role outside Mass) to receive Comunion in non-Mass events. For example, what is to stop him from receiving Communion when conducting a bingo game or a food drive, for example?
Old Apr 5, '08, 1:37 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good point. It seems a little more thought should have gone into allowing the celebrant (if that's his role outside Mass) to receive Comunion in non-Mass events. For example, what is to stop him from receiving Communion when conducting a bingo game or a food drive, for example?
Are you seriously trying to equate the Good Friday celebration of the central event of our faith, the Lord's Passion and Death, with a bingo game or a food drive? For shame

How in any way could you argue that it is inappropriate to receive Christ's Body and Blood on the very day, and at the commemoration of the very event, in which Christ gave that same Body for us and sealed the New Covenant in that same Blood? Even if pre-Vatican 2 it was not considered necessary, it is certainly fitting.

Just a few additional thoughts - there ARE prescribed liturgical requirements for the distribution of Holy Communion outside Mass (binding, for example, when priests visit the housebound and distribute Communion). Or when a lay-led liturgy is held in the absence of a priest. There are rubrics for Communion Services, as distinct from Masses, where priests can distribute to groups of the faithful, so it's not like priests or anyone else were ever required only to receive or distribute within the context of Mass only.

As long as these liturgical requirements are met, no-one should have any reason to doubt the appropriateness. And Good Friday services meet them.

More importantly, the Communion of priest and faithful is built in to the rubrics of the Good Friday service. It's not some ad-hoc unapproved extraliturgical innovation or addendum. Are you doubting that HMC has the authority to permit it?

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 24, '13, 5:02 pm

Quote:
So, there is no reason why I can't take Holy Communion to a nursing home on Good Friday. Right?
Old Mar 24, '13, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritatem View Post
So, there is no reason why I can't take Holy Communion to a nursing home on Good Friday. Right?
The local pastor makes that call.

Mary, Mother of Wisdom, be with us as we navigate through faith
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism