Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 23, '08, 3:22 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Mary Magdalene and Mary sister of Lazarus the same?

At Mass last night, the priest concentrated his homily on Mary Magdalene as a model of Faith and he gave 3 examples. One of them was the story of Lazarus and stated that Mary was his sister.

I was alway under the impression that Mary Magdalene and Mary sister of Lazarus were two separate Marys. Am I right or are Mary Magdalene and Mary sister of Lazarus the same person?
Old Mar 23, '08, 7:22 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Mary Magdalene and Mary sister of Lazarus the same?

In past times Mary Magdalene, Mary the sister of Lazarus, and a prostitute who washed Jesus feet at the table have been combined in various ways. Current Church teaching denies that there is any evidence relating them.

While it is definitely not Church teaching, I am not sure how firmly it is denied.
Old Mar 23, '08, 7:56 pm

Religion: catholic

I am not sure about that. I guess that is a question we will have to ask her if we make it to heaven and get to meet her. I do agree she is a great model of faith and of christ's forgviness to sinners. I pray to her daily to interecede for me and have a greatly admire her.

have a blessed Easter!
Old Mar 24, '08, 4:36 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic with Traditional leanings

I believe there are several New Testament women that often become conflated, erroneously or correctly.

Who are the women?
  • Mary Magdalene (MM)
  • Mary the sister of Lazarus and Martha. (ML)
  • The woman caught in adultery (A?)
  • The woman with the alabaster jar of perfumed oil. (J?)
  • The woman who washed Christ's feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. (W?)
There are also a number of other unidentified women in the Gospels. For all we know, Mary Magdalene and Mary the sister of Lazarus are different people and the later is the woman who had the issue of blood cured. (I am not suggesting this so please do not flame me.)

Are any of these women that same person? Who knows. Mary Magdalene is identified only as someone whom Christ cast out 7 demons (Luke 8:2).

There has always been much speculation. I believe it was Pope Leo the Great who first connected Mary Magdalene with both the the woman caught in adultery and the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears.

I do not know that Sacred Tradition sheds any more light on this than the scriptures do.

Even if Mary Magdalene is the same woman as the other unidentified ones, it just goes to show (which was Pope Leo the Great's point) how the grace of God can change a person's life.

For me, it is not a terribly important point.
Old Mar 24, '08, 5:14 pm

My understanding is that they were conflated so we would have a fuller picture of the people in the Gospel. If there is more than one story about a person we would know more about them.

My understanding is that the most recent thinking is that when a name is given in the Gospel accounts, either the person is famous [everybody knows Pilate and Herod] or they were or are a member of the community and can be called on to verify what the author wrote.

If a name is given in one Gospel and not another for the same story, then the person was known to those in one of the Gospel communities but not the other. So combining stories of those with names and without from the SAME GOSPEL would not make sense. But it is still possible if they are in a different Gospel (it still may be unlikely)

An example is Simon who helped carry the cross of Christ. In one account, his sons are given yet they are of no importance to the story at all. Hence it is believed that they were members of the community and could be called on to verify that their father did indeed assist the Christ on the via dolorosa.
Old Mar 24, '08, 7:46 pm

I thought Mary Magdalen was from the town of Magdala, hence her name, while the sisters Mary and Martha, and their brother Lazarus hailed from Bethany. Magdalene is not her surname, but is referring to her place of origin. Jesus is called a Nazarene because he came from Nazareth, while Mary is a Magdalene, because she came from Magdala. So how could Mary of Bethany and Mary of Magdala be the same person?
Old Mar 24, '08, 10:24 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post
I thought Mary Magdalen was from the town of Magdala, hence her name, while the sisters Mary and Martha, and their brother Lazarus hailed from Bethany. Magdalene is not her surname, but is referring to her place of origin. Jesus is called a Nazarene because he came from Nazareth, while Mary is a Magdalene, because she came from Magdala. So how could Mary of Bethany and Mary of Magdala be the same person?
That's a really good point. I hadn't thought of it like that.
Old Mar 24, '08, 11:07 pm

Religion: RC

these are 3 different Marys (Mirium actually)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture