Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 24, '08, 7:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Do Baptists celebrate Good Friday?

what about other Protestants?

I know Methodists and Episcipalians/Anglicans do, but what about others
Old Mar 24, '08, 7:27 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Do Baptists celebrate Good Friday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorSalsa View Post

I can't speak for every Baptist since there are many different types. However, as a mostly life-long Southern Baptist (now a baby Catholic) I can say I do not ever recall a Good Friday service. We only celebrated Maundy Thursday & Easter Sunday. No Lent, no Good Friday, etc.
Old Mar 24, '08, 7:31 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Christian - Starting RCIA soon!

I do not really remember going to a Baptist church, but three of my sisters currently attend one and I do not think they celebrate Good Friday.

The Foursquare church I am going to did not celebrate it either.

It seems kind of odd to me -- why would you celebrate Easter if you don't celebrate Good Friday?? Then again, my Foursquare church didn't make too much of a big deal of Easter either, so...
Old Mar 24, '08, 7:50 pm

I was raised a Baptist. We had Good Friday services every year.
Old Mar 24, '08, 8:18 pm

As is so often the case in the Southern Baptist Church it really depends on which church you're attending. I was raised a Souther Baptist and we never celebrated Good Friday except for one church I attended when in high school. They actually really put forth a lot of effort to follow the Christian calendar. I remember really liking it and that it added so much to my Christian experience. My parents moved though and so I only had one year there. That was probably my favorite church as I was growing up. It was the only one though.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 07
Old Mar 25, '08, 12:35 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtconstant View Post
As is so often the case in the Southern Baptist Church it really depends on which church you're attending. I was raised a Souther Baptist and we never celebrated Good Friday except for one church I attended when in high school. They actually really put forth a lot of effort to follow the Christian calendar. I remember really liking it and that it added so much to my Christian experience. My parents moved though and so I only had one year there. That was probably my favorite church as I was growing up. It was the only one though.
Well im glad to see you finally found a church that follows the Christain Calender perfectly now
Old Mar 25, '08, 1:00 pm
Banned

Religion: Quaker

Among un-programmed Friends, it depends on how much interest there is in holding a Meeting for Worship on Good Friday. Usually those who have been convinced from other traditions "miss it", so if enough interest is generated Good Friday Meeting is held.

I have attended Good Friday Services at a Friend's Church before as well as the Episcopal Church and a Methodist Church to see what it entailed.
Old Mar 25, '08, 1:31 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, convert from I/F Baptist

In my Baptist days, the "Palm Sunday" sermon (though Palm Sunday was pretty well ignored, too) usually mentioned something about how Jesus couldn't actually have died on a Friday because of the whole "three days and three nights" that He mentioned. Never mind that it's a Jewish idiom that doesn't literally mean 72 hours.

Old Apr 6, '09, 9:02 am

Religion: Believer in Christ, hoping to cross the Tiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahb View Post
I was raised a Baptist. We had Good Friday services every year.
It's really pretty hard to pin Baptists down regarding Good Friday or Maundy Thursday. I have encoutered some that are part of the SBC that have a simple prayer service for each of them, some even have a foot washing service on Maundy Thursday. Some don't have any type of service but close their offices and their employees are off on Good Friday to simply observe the day.

Then of course there are the more fundamentalist types that believe that Jesus died on a Wednesday and think that Good Friday isn't scriptural. As an earlier poster said, there are many types of Baptists and even those in the same convention are still all autonomous church bodies. I've grown up SBC and have never been a member of a Church that did observe Good Friday or Maundy Thursday except to allow the church employees the day off on that day, but that's been only 2 SBC churches though. I have heard of others in the area that do have services though.

~Josh
Old Apr 6, '09, 1:14 pm

Religion: CATHLOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtconstant View Post
I have two dauther that are Baotist and they never heard of good firday,until some office started to close on good friday in Kansas
Old Apr 6, '09, 2:51 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorSalsa View Post

As western Christians, Lutherans follow the same calendar (virtually) as Rome.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions