Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 17, '04, 8:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Reception of Communion

I'll stop being a lurker for a bit and ask a question,

"At what point in the Mass if you arrive late, is one allowed to still receive Communion?"

This was asked of me, and I don't have the legalist answer. My first response is - don't be late, and if you are late, and if your conscience pricks you then DO NOT to receive communion. Afterall, its not a sin not to receive, only its a sin to receive unworthily.

But I have a feeling that my friend wants an answer from the Code or from the GIRM (or equal document). Any leagalists out there that can help?

"The man of the true religious tradition understands two things: liberty and obedience. The first means knowing what you really want. The second means knowing what you really trust." GKC
Old Nov 17, '04, 8:34 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: Reception of Communion

Actually if your question is how late into Mass can someone receive communion. Technically a person can walk in during the communion section of the Mass and receive as long as it is the first time they received that day.

If your actual question is how late can a person be to Mass and fulfill their Sunday obligation, the answer is it depends.

Officially a person is supposed to be there for the entire Mass. There can be valid reasons a person is late for Mass (i.e. car breaking down, kids, etc.) In those cases if the person is late for reasons beyond their control there is no specific time.

If the person is late because they habitually do not leave on time, they show up late on purpose or other similar reason, then there is no excuse.

Common custom use to say that if you arrived at Mass after the Gospel then you had to attend another Mass to recieve communion and fulfill your Sunday obligation. Due to the fact that people started to abuse this, it was removed.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Nov 17, '04, 8:56 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas

It used to be a common custom for working people to stop by a Mass during their lunch hour, just for Communion. This practice is discouraged now but I don't think it is technically prohibited anywhere.

When I was younger we were taught that arriving after the second reading was too late for Mass to "count" for Sunday obligation. You had to at least be there from the Gospel on. Just slightly different than the way Marauder was taught. I don't think any of these were written rules, just common customs.
Old Nov 17, '04, 10:47 am

Growing up, it was customary in my family for a time that whoever made us late for Mass for a reason within their control (i.e. I'm responsible for getting myself ready on time, but I'm not "as responsible" if you don't get yourself ready on time) had to treat the rest of the family to lunch (or brunch) afterward
Old Nov 17, '04, 2:12 pm

Okay, anyone have a reference document? I already know the customs and "what we used to do", but what is the "minimalist/legalist" requirment?

"The man of the true religious tradition understands two things: liberty and obedience. The first means knowing what you really want. The second means knowing what you really trust." GKC
Old Nov 17, '04, 2:21 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas

That's just it, I don't think there is a legal requirement. There definately isn't one for daily Mass and probably isn't one for Sunday Mass, at least not for Communion. You are looking for a document that describes laws that don't exist as far as I know.

There may be some documentation about what "counts" for fulfilling Sunday Mass attendance but it isn't likely to be expressed in a "minimum required" sort of way.

The only requirements for receiving Communion are 1) state of grace and 2) one hour fast.
Old Nov 17, '04, 2:24 pm
Forum Supporter

How about the following link from a Catholic apologist?

Link

It's probably the best we can do.

You should also ask the person, why do they want to do the minimum? How will they like it if on Judgement Day, God came to them and said, "Since you have done the minimum for me all your life, I will now do the minimum for you."
Old Nov 17, '04, 9:16 pm

Talking Re: Reception of Communion

Hello, I heard it said on an EWTN show. I don't remember the name of it right now. It is where the two priest sit at the computer terminals and answer questions that come across the computer screen. Anyway, that question was brought up and they said the gospel is the cutoff to receive Holy Communion. In other words you need to be at Mass in time to hear the gospel reading.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 17, '04, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety14
Hello, I heard it said on an EWTN show. I don't remember the name of it right now. It is where the two priest sit at the computer terminals and answer questions that come across the computer screen. Anyway, that question was brought up and they said the gospel is the cutoff to receive Holy Communion. In other words you need to be at Mass in time to hear the gospel reading.

Hope this helps.
I have heard that for years. Because for years it has been the teaching. But I think that has changed. I at one point heard for Sunday Mass the latest was the consecration, but I believe the Gospel should be kept as cutoff. But am unsure if that has been changed.
Old Nov 18, '04, 6:46 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I have heard that for years. Because for years it has been the teaching. But I think that has changed. I at one point heard for Sunday Mass the latest was the consecration, but I believe the Gospel should be kept as cutoff. But am unsure if that has been changed.
If you read the link I supplied above from a Catholic Answers apologist you will see that any and all official cut off times disappeared after Vatican II because they were abused. People would either purposely come in at the last possible time or people would be overly scrupuluous and worry if say a car accident made them late.

To fulfil your Sunday obligation you are supposed to try to be there for the entire Mass. If an unusual circumstance happens and you are late, no problem. If you purposely show up late or do not adjust times you leave for Mass because you routinely show up late, then there is a problem.

As I said above, why take a minimialistic view of how long you should be at Mass. Do you want the Lord taking that view with you?

Being there by the Gospel is a good cutoff time to suggest that you really should go to another Mass, but it isn't required.

What is required is that if you show up for Mass late even if the only thing you missed is the processional you should search your soul and determine if you made every effort to be there on time. If the answer is no, go to another Mass.
Old Nov 18, '04, 9:08 am

Many thanks for everyone's replies. I had already gone through the various references I could think of (GIRM, Code, Eucharista en Ecclesia, etc...) and couldn't find anything. So I brought the question to an open forum with people that may have stumbled across documents/teachings that I hadn't.

I am full agreement that the minimalist approach is the dangerous path to trod, and will couch my reply to my friend accordingly.

Again, many thanks - and I'll go back to lurking now!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments