Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 17, '04, 4:10 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Is getting drunk a sin?

I understand that different priests have different rules in this area. They might be easy on getting drunk, but hard on drink driving etc. What are your understandings of getting drunk? And drink driving? When do they become mortal sins?

Yours in Jesus, Mary & Joseph,

John
Saints are just sinners who keep trying.
Old Nov 17, '04, 4:19 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is getting drunk a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell Jr
I understand that different priests have different rules in this area. They might be easy on getting drunk, but hard on drink driving etc. What are your understandings of getting drunk? And drink driving? When do they become mortal sins?

John
this is a trick question isn't it?....... it's the abuse my fellow poster, not the use....
Old Nov 17, '04, 4:31 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Are you next going to say that "different priests" interpret the 10 Commandments differently?

Drinking in moderation is not a sin. The Benedictines make a cognac and the Blue Nuns make a wine called Blue Nun (Ha Ha). So the presence of alcolic beverages is not a sin.

But to indulge, and become "drunk" is a sin for that will open the door for other serious sin to come in. It is much like,"Avoid the occasion of sin". Drunkeness is the occasion of sin. I don't know if I can tell you it is a mortal or a venial sin, that depends on each case.
Old Nov 17, '04, 4:33 pm

Scripture (St. Paul) tells us not to get drunk but to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Drinking can be a strong temptation. I don't know when too much becomes a mortal sin or if even getting a bit drunk very rarely is a mortal sin, e.g. New Years. However, it is not the Christian direction so it is not the path to be on. Again, this is difficult for those who enjoy drinking but there is a conflict between excessive drinking and the spiritual life. There is no way around it. Those who avoid excessive drinking will be happier and find other things to enjoy such as going to a movie.

Personally, I stopped drinking altogether because (especially on weekends) if I had a few drinks I just wanted to make a party out of it and keep drinking. Also, by not drinking at all, I don't have to worry about driving drunk.

Definitely do not drink and drive.

A few drinks to relax can be OK but beyond that, it can become sinful including harmful to your health.

Greg
Old Nov 17, '04, 5:00 pm

Quote:

John
Yes, drunkeness is a sin. In the Bible, St. Paul gives us a list of grave sins. He states that anyone who commits these sins shall not enter the kingdom of God. "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (Galatians 5:19-20).

Any grave sin committed with full advertence and perfect consent of the will is a mortal sin.

"Lord, in my zeal for the love of truth, let me not forget the truth about love"
-- St. Thomas Aquinas

Catholicus Maximus
Old Nov 17, '04, 5:18 pm

Getting drunk is a sin. Getting drunk intentionally is a mortal sin. Overeating is also a sin. Both Drunkenness and gluttony violate the cardinal virtue of temperance.

To become deep in history is to cease to be Protestant.
(John Henry Cardinal Newman)

Viva, il Papa! Viva, Pope Benedict XVI!
Old Nov 17, '04, 5:20 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Brain Send a message via AIM to Brain

the sinfulness of drink is only that your free will is forfeit once you are drunk. so drinking okay, drunk not okay.
Old Nov 17, '04, 5:33 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:

John
Getting drunk is a sin if that is your intent.
Old Nov 17, '04, 6:59 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Besides the warnings against drunkenness in the Bible, from a purely scientific point of view the sensation of being drunk is caused by the presence of a toxic condition in the blood that impairs the brain cells' ability to process oxygen. You can get the same feeling by taking your oxygen mask off at high altitude in an unpressurized airplane (or in an altitude chamber, like I did once, as a controlled demonstration).

In one case it's hypoxia because of lack of sufficient O2 partial pressure, and in the other case it's chemical hypoxia. In my case it lasted for 15 seconds, but in the case of being drunk it can last for hours. During this time brain cells are dying for lack of oxygen. Repeatedly getting drunk kills off more and more brain cells.

This sort of intentionally harming one's body is certainly a sin, as it shows major disrespect for the God who gave the body in the first place and expects us to take care of it.

DaveBj
Old Nov 18, '04, 6:07 am

It is grave matter IF you are drunk to the point where you lose the use of reason or if you endanger lives by driving drunk. All the moral theology textbooks in my library agree on that.
Old Nov 18, '04, 12:03 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to pittsburghjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBj
Repeatedly getting drunk kills off more and more brain cells.

This sort of intentionally harming one's body is certainly a sin, as it shows major disrespect for the God who gave the body in the first place and expects us to take care of it.

DaveBj
I agree. Just take your head and beat it a few times off of a brick wall. You are doing the same thing morally (and physically).

Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Take care of it.

When people abuse their bodies it is an offense to God. It is like he handed you a great expensive car as a gift and you intentionally pushed it off of a cliff. It shows ungratefullness and quite frankly a lack of intelligence by the person getting drunk.
Old Nov 18, '04, 12:49 pm

When drinking, you KNOW when the buzz cometh! I limit myself to 2 drinks only, of anything alcoholic (I love wine) because I am very aware (from past experience) of "tongue flappitis" that sets in afterwards to my own detriment and the embarrassment of those around me. Know your limit and stop.
Old Nov 18, '04, 4:19 pm

Religion: Irish Roman Catholic

I could see the confusion already. Why is drinking so prevalent in the Bible? But........ I don't have time to search through my Bible, and I wouldn't even try to quote. It does talk about drunkeness in an unfavorable light. Truley, getting drunk is a self indulgent practice that brings on a temporary euphoria. Euphoria, followed by what?(Nothing good.) Alcohol is also a tool used widely by satan. It's biblical and social acceptability tells everyone it is ok to imbibe. There is a reason to drink for any occasion, even at church. Now go to an alcoholic or their family and ask if they beleive that alcoholisim walks hand in hand with the devil. Is having a few drinks and getting tipsy on occasion a sin? I think not. But be careful satan lurks around every coroner. I've been there. Bill Sweeney
Old Nov 18, '04, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Sweeney
But be careful satan lurks around every coroner.
I know this was a typo, but this has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read.
Old Nov 18, '04, 7:24 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Thanks for all your answers. All were good. I have a far greater knowledge in this area now.

John
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments