Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 29, '08, 12:42 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Can one recieve the Eucharist at Saturday night vigil Mass and then again on Sunday morning?

Obviously you can attend both Saturday night and Sunday morning Masses, but is it o.k. to recieve the Eucharist both times?
Old Mar 29, '08, 12:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Can one recieve the Eucharist at Saturday night vigil Mass and then again on Sunday morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_floyd77 View Post
Obviously you can attend both Saturday night and Sunday morning Masses, but is it o.k. to recieve the Eucharist both times?
Yes
Old Mar 29, '08, 12:45 pm

Default Re: Can one recieve the Eucharist at Saturday night vigil Mass and then again on Sunday morning?

Sure you are allowed to receive the Eucharist Saturday night and then Sunday morning. The only worry is that the church does not want you to go to attend so many masses a weekend that you lose interest in the Eucharist.

Pax Christi
Old Mar 29, '08, 12:49 pm

Yep. It's a question that comes up often on CAF.

You can receive twice in a calendar day (12:00am-11:59pm), but the second time must be at Mass.

To clarify, if one was visiting a sick relative in the hospital and the chaplain brought Communion to them, you could receive the first time that day in that setting, but if you had already received earlier in the day at Mass, you could not receive in that setting.

In your example, because the Anticipated Mass and the Sunday Mass are on different calendar days, you can receive at both.

Make sense?
Old Mar 29, '08, 12:57 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
Yep. It's a question that comes up often on CAF.

You can receive twice in a calendar day (12:00am-11:59pm), but the second time must be at Mass.

To clarify, if one was visiting a sick relative in the hospital and the chaplain brought Communion to them, you could receive the first time that day in that setting, but if you had already received earlier in the day at Mass, you could not receive in that setting.

In your example, because the Anticipated Mass and the Sunday Mass are on different calendar days, you can receive at both.

Make sense?
Yea, that makes sense. I didn't know since technically one would be recieving from the same mass, (vigil and daytime).

Thanks for the clarification.

The reason I ask is because I am going to confession this evening, (been a long week in mortal sin), and I'm anxious to attend Mass afterwards. At the same time I don't want to have nothing to do tomorrow morning!
Old Mar 29, '08, 6:30 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
At the same time I don't want to have nothing to do tomorrow morning!
You could clean, do laundry, take a walk ....or go to Mass (all things I should do )
Old Nov 29, '11, 5:54 pm
Observing Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

Thank you for posting this. I want to attend a mass on Saturday night at my parish that includes a tree lighting and caroling but I promised to go with a friend to mass the next day. Now I can do both.
Thanks, Diane
Old Nov 30, '11, 7:41 am

Quote:
Yes it is ok. Both of those are Sunday Masses, and the Church allows a person to receive Communion a second time, as long as the second time is at Mass (ie not a Communion service).
Old Nov 30, '11, 8:02 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
Yes it is ok. Both of those are Sunday Masses, and the Church allows a person to receive Communion a second time, as long as the second time is at Mass (ie not a Communion service).
Erm... when did Saturday evening masses become "sunday masses"?

While participation in Saturday evening masses counts towards Sunday obligation as per Canon 1248, the Canon makes clear that Saturday is still considered the "preceding day", not the same day.

In effect, then, and following the letter of the canon, one could attend mass on Saturday evening, visit a chapel Sunday morning, and attend mass Sunday afternoon and receive communion all three times.

If that is not the case, please point me to where the church teaches that a day officially starts at sundown... because this document seems to say otherwise:
http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index...x/100/start/97
Old Nov 30, '11, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
Erm... when did Saturday evening masses become "sunday masses"?

While participation in Saturday evening masses counts towards Sunday obligation as per Canon 1248, the Canon makes clear that Saturday is still considered the "preceding day", not the same day.

In effect, then, and following the letter of the canon, one could attend mass on Saturday evening, visit a chapel Sunday morning, and attend mass Sunday afternoon and receive communion all three times.

If that is not the case, please point me to where the church teaches that a day officially starts at sundown... because this document seems to say otherwise:
http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index...x/100/start/97
See the encyclical letter Dies Domini by Bl John Paul II #49
From a liturgical point of view, in fact, holy days begin with First Vespers. Consequently, the liturgy of what is sometimes called the "Vigil Mass" is in effect the "festive" Mass of Sunday...
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo...domini_en.html
Old Nov 30, '11, 8:16 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
See the encyclical letter Dies Domini by Bl John Paul II #49
From a liturgical point of view, in fact, holy days begin with First Vespers. Consequently, the liturgy of what is sometimes called the "Vigil Mass" is in effect the "festive" Mass of Sunday
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo...domini_en.html
Does an encyclical letter, however, trump the Canon Law reference to an evening as the "previous day" and does it trump the "General Norms of the Liturgical Year" released by the Sacred Congregation of Rites (aka, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments)?
Old Nov 30, '11, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
Does an encyclical letter, however, trump the general norms of the liturgical year released by the Sacred Congregation of Rites (aka, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments)?
No. It does not "trump" them---they are all in agreement with each other.

Check the link to Dies Domini. The sentence I quoted has a footnote which refers to the general norms for the calendar, so clearly the Church sees Dies Domini and the calendar norms to be in agreement rather than in conflict. The same goes for the Code of Canon Law. They all agree.
Old Nov 30, '11, 9:21 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
No. It does not "trump" them---they are all in agreement with each other.

Check the link to Dies Domini. The sentence I quoted has a footnote which refers to the general norms for the calendar, so clearly the Church sees Dies Domini and the calendar norms to be in agreement rather than in conflict. The same goes for the Code of Canon Law. They all agree.
Gosh, I'm going to put my words in bold to break up the following paragraph:

Perhaps I'm just dense, but I can't see how the statements "The liturgical day runs from midnight to midnight, but the observance of Sunday and solemnities begins with the evening of the preceding day," and "From a liturgical point of view, in fact, holy days begin with First Vespers" are reconcilable, unless one is speaking in a figurative sense that the observation of holy days begins at first vespers on the previous day, which is what the Norms seem to indicate... and if this is the case, then it is, in fact, incorrect to boldly state that the liturgical day begins at sundown, as this is in direct contradiction to the General Norms for the Liturgical Year...
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments