Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 31, '08, 4:12 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic, Cradle Catholic (10 Days Old)
Default Why do so many non-Catholic Christian “Protestants” - Reject the term “Protestant”?

Why do so many non-Catholic Christian “Protestants” - Reject the term “Protestant”?

Any non-Catholic Christian belonging to a sect or denomination descending from those that seceded from the Roman Catholic Church and rejected aspects of Catholicism at the time of the Reformation (and today)…is by definition – “Protestant”.

If you are a Christian and not a Catholic, it is because you are, or your denomination is - “protesting” aspects of Catholicism; you are a “Protestant”.

Whats wrong with being called a "Protestant" if your are a "Protestant"? I don't get it....

Peace

Jimmy B.

May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all - Go in Peace.
Old Mar 31, '08, 4:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to KJK80
Default Re: Why do so many non-Catholic Christian “Protestants” - Reject the term “Protestant”?

I wasn't aware they did... Who does reject the term Protestant? I guess I missed this somewhere...
"...they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father in His loving-kindness raised from the dead. And so, those who question the gift of God perish in their contentiousness."
-- St. Ignatius of Antioch ca. 110 A.D.
Old Mar 31, '08, 4:29 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Default Re: Why do so many non-Catholic Christian “Protestants” - Reject the term “Protestant”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK80 View Post
I wasn't aware they did... Who does reject the term Protestant? I guess I missed this somewhere...
hello KJK80,

Wait for...Wait for it...Wait for it...

You'll see... if not on this thread... you will read it in another.

I just read a post, from one of our "Protestant" friends here (on another thread) who tried to say that Masons were not "Protestant".

Peace

Jimmy B.

May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all - Go in Peace.
Old Mar 31, '08, 4:54 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK80 View Post
Lots of non-denominational types do. They have claimed the all-encompassing term "Christian" for themselves.
... the Second Vatican Council carries with it the whole teaching history of the Church. Whoever wants to be obedient to it, must accept the faith of centuries and may not cut the roots from which the tree lives. - Benedict XVI
http://vinecharcoal.etsy.com
Old Mar 31, '08, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibkc View Post
Lots of non-denominational types do. They have claimed the all-encompassing term "Christian" for themselves.
Learn somethin' new every day, they say!
"...they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father in His loving-kindness raised from the dead. And so, those who question the gift of God perish in their contentiousness."
Old Mar 31, '08, 5:32 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - former Fundamental Evangelical Christian

In our previous faith even non-denominations were not true Christians or not a denomination as our former church used to claim.... Sound familiar yet? The founders hijacked the term Church of Christ, which is what we Catholics are. They claimed to be the only true Church founded by Christ. I know...lot to swallow. You had to be there I guess. Catholics are considered a denomination to them and apostate, like the Methodists, Episcopalians, Church of God, Assemblies of God, Mormons, JW, Orthodox, etc.

If you want to be polite never call a member of the Church of Christ anything other than a Christian, even if they do not believe you are. Never call their faith a denomination or you'll get the long spill by the more orthodox [being funny here] Christians. You see, only one group can call themselves Christian because they are the only ones saved... So the so called "Protestants" include Catholics then. Well, some time back the Orthodox clan were insulting Catholicism on another thread calling it the first Protestant church. So, be nice. Many of them don't even know what Catholicism teaches or even care because they beleive we're either pagan or just plain apostate.
Old Mar 31, '08, 5:35 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Christian
Send a message via MSN to Syele Send a message via Yahoo to Syele Send a message via Skype™ to Syele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
Why do so many non-Catholic Christian “Protestants” - Reject the term “Protestant”?

Any non-Catholic Christian belonging to a sect or denomination descending from those that seceded from the Roman Catholic Church and rejected aspects of Catholicism at the time of the Reformation (and today)…is by definition – “Protestant”.

If you are a Christian and not a Catholic, it is because you are, or your denomination is - “protesting” aspects of Catholicism; you are a “Protestant”.

Whats wrong with being called a "Protestant" if your are a "Protestant"? I don't get it....

Peace
Same reason that Catholics in communion with Rome get all freaked out when I say they are Roman Catholic (in order to distinguish between them and Orthodox.)
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:25 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syele View Post
Same reason that Catholics in communion with Rome get all freaked out when I say they are Roman Catholic (in order to distinguish between them and Orthodox.)
Hi Syele,

I understand what you are trying to say here but I think that we are taking about two different things.

Roman Catholics for instance, might correct someone who calls them "Eastern Orthodox Catholic" but they do not deny that they are Roman Catholic, or Catholic or Latin Rite Catholic if in fact they are, unless they don't know any better. Roman Catholics are also Christian but not "Protestant" Christians.

Technicall speaking, all non-Catholic Christian denominations which descend from or were “borne out of” the "Protestant Movement" are "Protestant" and they are rejecting an accurate title or description of their “Faith” which is usually a division of, or sub-division of one of the early “Protestant” religions.

The term “ Protestant" is used here at CAF because it would be impossible for Catholics here to address all of the various non-Catholic Christian and “Protestant” denominations here by there specific denominational-name.

One can still be “Protestant” and identify with a particular denomination. “Protestant” (in quotation marks) identifies those who are non-Catholic Christians and Protestant (without quotation marks) can be used to describe the Protestant Church, a “Protestant” denomination.

"Protestants" all use a "Protestant Bible". The King James Version Bible (KJV) or Bibles based on the KJV, are all "Protestant" Bibles. King James was a “Protestant” English King and he authorized the KJV Bible.

Catholics use a different Bible. “Born-Again” Christians for example, did not create a new “Born-Again Bible” based on their beliefs…They all use a "Protestant" KJV Bible… They do not use a Catholic Bible.

I hope this helps.

Maybe my thread title should have been - "I'm Protestant and didn't know it".

Peace.

Jimmy B.

Last edited by Jimmy B; Mar 31, '08 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:37 pm
Forum Elder

I don't see a lot of Protestants avoiding the term "Protestant". But if I were one I would. It's a tacit acknowledgment that one's church is derivative.
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:44 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I don't see a lot of Protestants avoiding the term "Protestant". But if I were one I would. It's a tacit acknowledgment that one's church is derivative.
See, when I was coming along, "Protestant" was a badge of honor. I come from a strongly Protestant family and a strongly Protestant part of the world, and I heard often about Protestant values and the Protestant work ethic and the Protestant such-and-such for a lot of my life. It seems only recently that this "No, I'm just a Christian" thing has started.

Next time someone says that to me I'm going to say, "Oh, you're Catholic" and see what kind of reaction I get!
... the Second Vatican Council carries with it the whole teaching history of the Church. Whoever wants to be obedient to it, must accept the faith of centuries and may not cut the roots from which the tree lives. - Benedict XVI
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:44 pm

Send a message via AIM to Singinbeauty Send a message via MSN to Singinbeauty Send a message via Yahoo to Singinbeauty

I am one of them that you speak of...

I don't like the term 'Protestant' because of one of the things you said in your OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B
I am NOT nor have I ever protested anything to do with the catholic church. So why call me protestant? My church says neither good nor bad about the catholic church, what are we protesting? I may not agree but I do not protest as I believe we are all children of God and He is the only one to judge. All I can do is follow where God leads me. Are there PROTESTants out there? Yep, but I am not one of them...
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibkc View Post
See, when I was coming along, "Protestant" was a badge of honor. I come from a strongly Protestant family and a strongly Protestant part of the world, and I heard often about Protestant values and the Protestant work ethic and the Protestant such-and-such for a lot of my life. It seems only recently that this "No, I'm just a Christian" thing has started.
I agree. Same here.
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:48 pm
Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Syele Send a message via Yahoo to Syele Send a message via Skype™ to Syele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
Hi Syele,

I understand what you are trying to say here but I think that we are taking about two different things.

Roman Catholics for instance, might correct someone who calls them "Eastern Orthodox Catholic" but they do not deny that they are Roman Catholic, or Catholic or Latin Rite Catholic if in fact they are, unless they don't know any better. Roman Catholics are also Christian but not "Protestant" Christians.

I have been called bigoted for it. And I wasnt trying ot be rude when I used it. also see these threads:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...roman+catholic
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...roman+catholic

Quote:
Many people DO see it as a rude term. Even though many others don't and even though There is a perfectly good reason for the term..

Technicall speaking, all non-Catholic Christian denominations which descend from or were “borne out of” the "Protestant Movement" are "Protestant" and they are rejecting an accurate title or description of their “Faith” which is usually a division of, or sub-division of one of the early “Protestant” religions.

The term “ Protestant" is used here at CAF because it would be impossible for Catholics here to address all of the various non-Catholic Christian and “Protestant” denominations here by there specific denominational-name.

One can still be “Protestant” and identify with a particular denomination. “Protestant” (in quotation marks) identifies those who are non-Catholic Christians and Protestant (without quotation marks) can be used to describe the Protestant Church, a “Protestant” denomination.

"Protestants" all use a "Protestant Bible". The King James Version Bible (KJV) or Bibles based on the KJV, are all "Protestant" Bibles. King James was a “Protestant” English King and he authorized the KJV Bible.

Catholics use a different Bible. “Born-Again” Christians for example, did not create a new “Born-Again Bible” based on their beliefs…They all use a "Protestant" KJV Bible… They do not use a Catholic Bible.

I hope this helps.

Maybe my thread title should have been - "I'm Protestant and didn't know it".

Peace.
I do not have a problem with Protestant as a term on CAF if it is not used to mean "anti-Catholic idiot who is insane and wants all Catholics dead."
Don't expect me to go around telling people in RL "Hi, I'm a protestant!" Not likely to happen, cause I did not personally split from the Catholic Church in order to protest it. I was born in a Christian family and was raised to be a Christian first. I am here learning about Catholics and explaining my own beliefs. I simply don't identify myself as someone who protests(though everyone protests something). That doesn't mean I don't know any history. It's about more than history, it's also about the present. The state of the Christian church in all areas is simply not the same as at the time of the reformation, denial of that only puts wedges between Christians that would not be there otherwise.
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:48 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinbeauty View Post

I am NOT nor have I ever protested anything to do with the catholic church. So why call me protestant?
Because whatever church you belong to, unless you're Orthodox, came about as a result of the Reformation, which was a revolt ("protest") against the authority of the Catholic Church. It is the established historical term for those churches and their followers. To refer to followers of those churches as anything other than Protestant is non-intuitive and not historically correct.
Old Mar 31, '08, 6:51 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
oh yeah and my copies of the Bible are not based on the KJV at all. There are a few KJV onlyists but I have encounter about one in person over my entire lifetime! I have a copy of a Catholic Bible too.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions