Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 2, '08, 4:10 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Cheating on your significant other adultery?

Is cheating on your boyfriend or girlfriend considered adultery?
Old Apr 2, '08, 4:24 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Default Re: Cheating on your significant other adultery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbarrios View Post
It's fornication on both counts, whether with your significant other, or with another person while having commitments to the first.
Old Apr 2, '08, 4:49 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, Adultry is a sexual relationship with someone who is Married to someone else. Unless of course your "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" is Married to someone else.
Old Apr 2, '08, 6:03 pm

Quote:

No.
Old Apr 2, '08, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius95945 View Post
It's fornication on both counts, whether with your significant other, or with another person while having commitments to the first.
Why do you assume that any sexual activity has occured between any of the people involved?
Old Apr 2, '08, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamera View Post
Why do you assume that any sexual activity has occured between any of the people involved?
LOL, the term "cheating" implies sexual activity. What other type of "cheating" is there? Perhaps they cheat at cards, you think maybe that was the OPs question?
Old Apr 2, '08, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
LOL, the term "cheating" implies sexual activity. What other type of "cheating" is there? Perhaps they cheat at cards, you think maybe that was the OPs question?
So, let me get this straight .... you're saying it's okay for me to take another woman out on a date, even though I'm married? As long as we don't actually have sex? Ridiculous. Of course it would be cheating for me to go on a date with another woman, even if no sex occured. Our Lord taught us that a person can commit adultery in the heart without having committed it bodily.

Re-read the OP. The question is whether cheating --- not just sex, but any cheating, which would include dating another person --- is tantamount to adultery. And the answer is no, cheating among the unmarried is not considered adultery.
Old Apr 2, '08, 7:21 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC

Quote:
So, let me get this straight .... you're saying it's okay for me to take another woman out on a date, even though I'm married? As long as we don't actually have sex? Ridiculous. Of course it would be cheating for me to go on a date with another woman, even if no sex occured. Our Lord taught us that a person can commit adultery in the heart without having committed it bodily.

Re-read the OP. The question is whether cheating --- not just sex, but any cheating, which would include dating another person --- is tantamount to adultery. And the answer is no, cheating among the unmarried is not considered adultery.
It's completely obvious that the OP implied a sexual encounter. When you have the words "cheating" and "adultery" in the same sentence, sex is implied to just about everyone over the age of 16.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old Apr 2, '08, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarKnight View Post
It's completely obvious that the OP implied a sexual encounter. When you have the words "cheating" and "adultery" in the same sentence, sex is implied to just about everyone over the age of 16.
I'm 42 and I highly doubt that my wife would let me date other women under the premise that it isn't really cheating unless there's sex.
Old Apr 2, '08, 7:52 pm

Regardless of what was meant by "cheating" in the original post, dating more than one person while in what's otherwise understood to be an exclusive dating relationship is, if nothing else, dishonest, and therefore sinful. As long as no one is being misled, no sex is involved, and all parties are still able to continue to focus on God first, I don't see a problem with going on dates with different people and avoiding an exclusive dating relationship.

Having sex outside of marriage, as Br. Rich says, is fornication, which is also a sin. Having sex with someone who is not your spouse while in marriage is adultery.

Dating someone other than your spouse while married denies the purpose of the sacrament of marriage. Marriage is meant to unify husband and wife. If you go on a "date" with someone else while married, it seems to me that you would be denying that function of your marriage, because to go on such a date you'd almost certainly have to prioritize some lesser commitment over your relationship with your spouse.
Old Apr 3, '08, 4:33 am

The OP has to be more clear on what they mean by "cheating", and what they meant by "boyfriend or girlfriend".

Because trying to stretch this into "dating" is off the mark. If I have a friend that is of the opposite sex, that doesn't mean we can't have dinner together. Sharing a meal is not cheating.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old Apr 3, '08, 5:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarKnight View Post
The OP has to be more clear on what they mean by "cheating", and what they meant by "boyfriend or girlfriend".

Because trying to stretch this into "dating" is off the mark. If I have a friend that is of the opposite sex, that doesn't mean we can't have dinner together. Sharing a meal is not cheating.
Right. But suppose you bring the other woman flowers, take her to a romantic restaurant, hold hands during dinner, make out with her in the parking lot, then go your separate ways. That's cheating, even though no sex happened.

I just don't understand why anyone would think that a sex act is required for it to be cheating. That's basically saying that you haven't gone on a date with someone unless you had sex with them.
Old Apr 3, '08, 5:08 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

If they didn't know you were doing so, then yes. I know sometimes in some relationships where it's not that serious, couples mutually agree to go out with other friends and stuff of the opposite sex, but purely as friends.

But the keyword here is 'mutual' - mutual agreement.

Without letting your significant other, it's cheating, it's a lie, it's not adultery, it's still a lie and a sin. Something that can develop into something worse over the years if it's not addressed right now.

Cheers
Old Apr 3, '08, 5:14 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
It first depends on what " cheating on" means. Then, if neither party is married{ to anyone}, it is not adultery. It would be considered fornication if sexual activity takes place...[ same church, different pew}
Old Apr 3, '08, 5:15 am

Quote:
Right. But suppose you bring the other woman flowers, take her to a romantic restaurant, hold hands during dinner, make out with her in the parking lot, then go your separate ways. That's cheating, even though no sex happened.

I just don't understand why anyone would think that a sex act is required for it to be cheating. That's basically saying that you haven't gone on a date with someone unless you had sex with them.
As you said and we all agree, the Lord says if you commit the act in your heart, it's the same as physically committing the act. Therefore if you are thinking about sex, then you are "committing" the act. So you you're combining physical activity, i.e. holding hands, making out, with mental desires (sex) then yes, that's cheating. If you're holding hands and making out, you're both thinking about sex.

I don't agree with the flowers thing and either would my wife, but of course, that act depends on the context.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology