Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 5, '08, 4:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Baptist hierarchy?

OK, my first question was too broad, so I'll ask about the Baptist denomination. I guess we'll talk about the Southern Baptist group.

What is the hierarchy? How are decisions about faith an morals made? Are the decisions binding for all members of the denomination?
Old Apr 5, '08, 1:52 pm

Unhappy Aren't there any Baptists here who know the answer? NT

looooooooooooooooooooo
Old Apr 5, '08, 2:04 pm

Default Re: Baptist hierarchy?

I found an article that said there is a hierarchy, but that the leader of the SBC doesn't make decisions for local churches.

I'm not sure what the members of the hierarchy do, exactly, if they're not there to oversee or teach. Someone's nephew needs a job??????

I also found this, which imo, is pretty scary. If this is true, it seems that all Baptists are free to decide for themselves what they believe. I guess this is why when we ask, what to Baptists believe, we get either a short answer (God is my lord and savior), or they say that it's impossible to pin down.

"Though each Baptist is free to define his own beliefs, a revised collection of common principles held by American Baptists was set forth by the SBC in 2000."

If you are a Baptist, can you comment on this statement? Is it true?
Old Apr 5, '08, 2:20 pm

I think you have to believe certain things to be a member of a certain organisation (Southern Baptist etc) but an individual Baptist congregation is first and formeost considered an individual autonomous church and if they disagree with the policy of their organisation they just pull out and either join another one or stay their own church
Old Apr 5, '08, 2:21 pm
Forum Elder

Send a message via AIM to LRThunder

From what I know, they do have a convention every summer where "decisions" are made. In '96, they voted to boycott Disney due to the Gay Days there. And a few years later, there was a reaction of outrage when they held to a verse that said how wives should submit to their husbands.

But the decisions aren't binding on the individual member churches, so it's more like a confederation so to speak.

http://lrthunder.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 5, '08, 2:37 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalt View Post
OK, my first question was too broad, so I'll ask about the Baptist denomination. I guess we'll talk about the Southern Baptist group.

What is the hierarchy? How are decisions about faith an morals made? Are the decisions binding for all members of the denomination?
If ever I saw a thread withy an oxymoronic title, this is it.

The essence of the Baptist Churfch, Southern variety, esp., is that each congregation is totally independent. Make that totally.

GKC
Old Apr 5, '08, 2:54 pm

Religion: Baptist with some Catholic beliefs

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is the name of the denomination as well as the annual meeting where major policy decisions are made. It controls the six SBC seminaries, sends out missionaries overseas and within North America, controls a publishing entity called Lifeway Christian Resources, and controls a financial entity called GuideStone Financial Resources which provides health insurance, retirement plans, etc. for church staff members and SBC employees. The SBC has no direct authority over anything except its own operations which I have just summarized.

There are conventions in the states as well, e.g., Kentucky Baptist Convention. The state conventions have various operations from state to state, including Baptist colleges, hospitals, children's homes and camps. They also provide hands on direction and supervision of SBC missionaries within their territories. The state conventions have no direct authority over anything except their own operations.

Southern Baptist churches form associations, usually composed of all the SBC churches in one or two counties. The association has the power to exclude any church that does not maintain doctrinal views consistent with their own. I have seen this power exercised on a couple of occasions.

Each church is ultimately in control of its own destiny. It is solely responsible for securing and supporting its pastor and staff. Each church owns its own property and no church property ever reverts back to any denominational entity. Each church has its own mechanism for accepting and expelling members. I have heard of members being expelled but have never seen this happen. Strangely, many SBC churches have no formal statement of faith. All creeds, including the Apostles Creed, are anathema to Baptists. Most Baptists prefer to go straight to the Bible on matters of faith and morals.

The SBC has a statement of faith called The Baptist Faith and Message: http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp (I suggest you take a look at it--it's an easy read). This has gone through several versions, the most recent one having been adopted at the annual convention in 2000. Many churches and several state conventions have adopted it but following it is not mandatory. A number of churches and state conventions that had adopted the earlier 1963 edition declined to adopt the 2000 edition because it takes strong stands on the husband being the head of the family and on women being ineligible to serve as pastors.

Having said all this, which is somewhat rambling and off point at places, anyone can be a member of a SBC church who makes a profession of faith in Jesus Christ, undergoes baptism by immersion, and asks to become a member. Southern Baptists are rather strict on matters of morals, although they have become a lot more liberal in recent years concerning divorce and remarriage. I guess they had to, otherwise they would not have anyone to occupy positions of leadership. However, they don't pay a lot of attention to matters of doctrine. Each member can believe whatever he or she wants to, but those who stray too far off the ranch won't be given positions of leadership in the church.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions