Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 7, '08, 8:02 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Investing in stock - which ones?

My husbands employer allows him to choose which company's stocks to buy for 401K investment. They also match.

My problem is that, while I can find lots and lots of companies to avoid and boycott, I cannot find the names of any companies in which to invest. I know I must not be looking in the right places, but I don't know where else to look.

The Ave Maria Mutual funds link does not help. We cannot use Ave Maria Mutual Funds as an investment firm. We have to use my husbands employer's choice. If we don't, we loose the matching dollars. To throw the match away seems pretty silly to us.

We need a list of PRO-LIFE COMPANIES that are traded on the NY stock exchange or NASDAQ so we can purchase their stock (and have my husbands employer also buy their stock - what a deal for us and for them).

So called neutral companies, (Exxon was suggested) isn't what we're looking for. Does anybody know of any PRO-LIFE PRO-CATHOLIC companies that are publicly traded? They don't have to declare destruction of PP as their primary product, but they do have to be actively working in their business practices toward that Culture of LIfe we all talk about so much. The specific industry is not important to us. Manufacturing, entertainment, pharmaceuticals, publishing, agriculture products? the industry isn't as important as respect for true human dignity.

Is there such a thing? Shouldn't there be? Seems unlikely there is no such company or companies or such a list. Ave Maria investments seems to have a list. I can't get their list unless they are investing for us. Then we loose the matching money from DH's employer . . . . goin' round in circles . . .

Thanks,
Pat
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Investing in stock - which ones?

Ave Maria funds will probably have a list of holdings in their annual report. I think all funds are required to do this.

It seems odd that your employer allows you to pick stocks but no mutual funds for your 401K. This is pretty risky.

Also, how do they expect you to invest in asset classes other than stocks, if you're only allowed to invest in stocks? I don't know much about 401K programs, but this seems odd to me. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could enlighten me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyard1 View Post
My husbands employer allows him to choose which company's stocks to buy for 401K investment. They also match.

My problem is that, while I can find lots and lots of companies to avoid and boycott, I cannot find the names of any companies in which to invest. I know I must not be looking in the right places, but I don't know where else to look.

The Ave Maria Mutual funds link does not help. We cannot use Ave Maria Mutual Funds as an investment firm. We have to use my husbands employer's choice. If we don't, we loose the matching dollars. To throw the match away seems pretty silly to us.

We need a list of PRO-LIFE COMPANIES that are traded on the NY stock exchange or NASDAQ so we can purchase their stock (and have my husbands employer also buy their stock - what a deal for us and for them).

So called neutral companies, (Exxon was suggested) isn't what we're looking for. Does anybody know of any PRO-LIFE PRO-CATHOLIC companies that are publicly traded? They don't have to declare destruction of PP as their primary product, but they do have to be actively working in their business practices toward that Culture of LIfe we all talk about so much. The specific industry is not important to us. Manufacturing, entertainment, pharmaceuticals, publishing, agriculture products? the industry isn't as important as respect for true human dignity.

Is there such a thing? Shouldn't there be? Seems unlikely there is no such company or companies or such a list. Ave Maria investments seems to have a list. I can't get their list unless they are investing for us. Then we loose the matching money from DH's employer . . . . goin' round in circles . . .

Thanks,
Pat
Old Apr 7, '08, 10:23 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Surely you recognize that this is not the place to come for reliable investment advice. If you are inexpereinced investors, your husband's employer can certainly refer you to investment professionals who can give you some direction or refer you on to yet other professionals who can meet the investment criteria you are seeking.
Old Apr 7, '08, 11:35 am

My husband's employer offers typical 401K. Yes we can pick from the mutual funds provided by the investment company, there are 4 or 5 available and we can adjust the percent according to the risk we would like to take, just like any 401K provider with any large company. These funds are structured by the investment company based strictly on payback, just like any and every other 401K program. They perform as well as any. HOWEVER these funds include major pharm companies, entertainment corporations and others that we do not want to invest in. THAT is the ISSUE. One option excludes tobacco companies and the like and one includes some "green" environmentally focused companies that, on further investigation, turn out to be incredibly pro abortion internationally - activist types. There is no option, provided by the employer's participation in the Federal 401K program, to invest through a Fund in the areas we hold dear. I thought I made that clear.
My husbands employer only recommends representatives of the investment company they use for 401K, which is probably stipulated in the contract between the employer and the investment corporation. We've already been down that road.

In my investigation on the internet with Ave Maria and one other Catholic and one Christian investment firm, I've found that they do NOT list the companies in which they invest, at least not that I could find. I thought that was clear too. Perhaps Ave Maria would provide me with a list if we invest with them, but we do not choose to, partly because of the match opportunity with my husband's employers and partly because we stopped donating to AMU after the Fr Fessio fiasco. The advisors for the Ave Maria Funds are some of the same ones that run Ave Maria University in Florida.

His employer presented an opportunity for some self management while still generously providing corporate matching. We appreciate them providing this opportunity and would like very much to take advantage of it.

I don't know how to make this any more straight forward. It is not just "ok" with us to allow our retirement to be funded through our support of the highest payers who are also culture killers. I assumed there would be others here who had been down this road with their money.
Old Apr 7, '08, 12:04 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Ave Maria Funds' investment company holdings are included in their annual report. If you go to their website, click on shareholder reports, and click on Annual Report you will see the Schedule of Investments in the Table of Contents for each fund. I don't know any of your personal information so I am not recommending any of these investments, just passing on the info.

Anyone who is looking for similar information in the future could find this information either at the fund's website or at SEC.gov by searching the system called EDGAR.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life