Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 7, '08, 3:20 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Do you experience the Holy Spirit?

All too often I try to explain this to people and they just look at me like I'm crazy, or outright, try to lump what I say as a broad statement for all Christians.

For as long as I can remember, the Holy Spirit has been with me, has revealed himself to me physically, it's not just some feeling, or emotion, be it, when in intense prayer and displaying alot of emotion within it, he does reveal himself more strongly, I wanted to know, how many here clearly experience the Holy Spirit? Not just say you do, not just because you think you do, but honestly and whole heartedly, can say, you experience the Holy Spirit.

I've had people take jabs at me, saying this person did this to me and they too claimed to have the Holy Spirit, and I go, absolutely not the case with that particular individual, it's not something that is lavished on every single person that calls themselves a Christian, not by a long shot. I just wanted to make this very clear to avoid confusion.

I am grateful to have the Holy Spirit, for he is my companion and without that part of God being in my life, I don't know what I'd do.
Old Apr 7, '08, 3:53 pm

Default Re: Do you experience the Holy Spirit?

When I was a young girl, I must have been open to the Holy Spirit because I could "feel" His presence when at church or in the presence of some holy people. This "feeling" is very deep and not involved with emotion. It is like a "warm fuzzy".

Then again, I would get what you could call inspirations. They weren't anything thought out. They were just natural reactions which involved gentleness and kindness, like giving my lunch money to a boy who asked for some change ( miraculously returned to me just at lunch time).

Unfortunately, as I grew older and more confused, I must have tuned these inspirations out. For instance, I believe I had a vocation as a teenager. But, my lack of catechesis and influences by my Protestant friends and New Age baloney closed my eyes to this. Missing this important juncture caused my spririt to spiral downward.

To make a very long story short, the Holy Spirit returned to me at a wedding during the sermon (the parable about building one's house on the rock vs. the sand). It came as a rush, almost like wind that caused me to gasp. At that moment, the "scales fell from my eyes", and all the errors of my ways, and the light of understanding came to me. All my confusion left me.
This occurred in an instant. I have never turned back.

I can't tell you how many times the Holy Spirt has intervened since then. I usually realize it after the fact. This is the value of relfection. I love it, love it, love it. I am, unfortunately, however, prone to spiritual confusion at times which causes me a lot of torment. It comes and goes. I usually bask in moments of illumination as consolations from God. Bless you.
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:11 pm

Brian could you describe your experiences more fully or try to explain what it means for the Holy Spirit to manifest Himself physically to you?
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:22 pm

To Brian and Ceil, I can say "yes." I don't discuss it. Hairy eyeball from others and all. Just gets old.

When I read "Varieties of Religious Experience" I see some similar experiences. In some of the writings of Saints, I recognize something quite similar. Abiding too.

Richard Oliver
Tiber Swim Team '05
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:39 pm

fhansen, it's a personal experience that's difficult to describe since it's not part of the normal human experience, what Ceil mentions, along the warm fuzzy is a good way to describe part of the physical sensation, to elaborate further, it's like an electrical charge, your hair stands on end, it's also like the wings of God surrounding you, or like a set of arms surrounding you, it permuates your being is another element that the sensation delivers.

It's one of those things that you know that you know, and there is no confusion in the matter, not like as with those that are having emotional experiences and trying to discern if what they felt was real, or appropriate, or if it was based upon some chemicle imbalance or something. It's like the Lord in physical contact with your soul, and it's not an experience that's normally even discussed. I had a friend and his parents noted that within me from visual observation and pointed that out a long time ago, so it is something that can be discerned to the careful eye.
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Millar View Post
fhansen, it's a personal experience that's difficult to describe since it's not part of the normal human experience, what Ceil mentions, along the warm fuzzy is a good way to describe part of the physical sensation, to elaborate further, it's like an electrical charge, your hair stands on end, it's also like the wings of God surrounding you, or like a set of arms surrounding you, it permuates your being is another element that the sensation delivers.

It's one of those things that you know that you know, and there is no confusion in the matter, not like as with those that are having emotional experiences and trying to discern if what they felt was real, or appropriate, or if it was based upon some chemicle imbalance or something. It's like the Lord in physical contact with your soul, and it's not an experience that's normally even discussed. I had a friend and his parents noted that within me from visual observation and pointed that out a long time ago, so it is something that can be discerned to the careful eye.
Thanks, Brian. I don't mean to be overly wary but whenever someone talks about the Holy Spirit, I'm not sure at first where they're coming from. And I thought you said something about Him being physically manifested (as a being) and I don't believe I've heard that before but now you've cleared it up better for me. I'm also wary because I've had these experiences too and tend to be protective of them. What really jumped out at me was in your reply when you said that it was like a set of arms surrounding you. I've often described it that way but I've never heard anyone else say it like that. For me it was as if God- I've always recognized this being as simply "God"-was behind me and surrounding me with Himself-holding me in His arms. If you had included a part about being in the presence of an infinitely powerful and totally unconditional LOVE then I might've thought I had wrote it myself. The amazing thing to me is that you seem to experience this frequently. I was "complaining" today in another thread about having this experience, combined with some others, once about 18 years ago and never again but if I understand you correctly it is quite common for you and I have to say that's hard for me to believe but what do I know-I'm jealous! Have you read the saints? I've just started and it's really awesome to hear someone struggle to describe these things in ways you can relate to. But they were generally people who gave their lives to God in big ways. I don't know you're story, of course, but I've wondered if the Lord is not working in more common folk these days.
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:08 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I am sorry I have questions instead of answers.

How would we react if this type of "physical" experience will go away and never come back to us until the day we see Him face to face in Heaven? Will we be so desperate and seek the experience? or will we accept God's will for whatever way the Holy Spirit works with us?

Last edited by water; Apr 7, '08 at 9:19 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post

How would we react if this type of "physical" experience will go away and never come back to us until the day we see Him face to face in Heaven? Will you be so desperate and seek the experience? or will we accept God's will for whatever way the Holy Spirit works with us?
I'm not sure if I would use the term physical -unless maybe in trying to get at the reality of the experience. But to answer your question, you don't have any choice in the matter. A person can seek this stuff all they want but it is God alone who orchestrates it. I had some wise advice today about how St Paul and Mother Theresa and others may well have had one or two profound experiences at a certain time of life and then nothing afterwards. As if God had called them and then it was up to them to abide and persevere and produce the fruits which followed. One nanosecond of an experience like this suffices to explain a library worth of info about God and his relationship to and desire for us. But it is very, very hard to not want to taste it again.
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:40 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post

How would we react if this type of "physical" experience will go away and never come back to us until the day we see Him face to face in Heaven? Will we be so desperate and seek the experience? or will we accept God's will for whatever way the Holy Spirit works with us?
Excellent! Like with Blessed Mother Teresa. Wonderful observation.
"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:43 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhansen View Post
I'm not sure if I would use the term physical -unless maybe in trying to get at the reality of the experience. But to answer your question, you don't have any choice in the matter. A person can seek this stuff all they want but it is God alone who orchestrates it. I had some wise advice today about how St Paul and Mother Theresa and others may well have had one or two profound experiences at a certain time of life and then nothing afterwards. As if God had called them and then it was up to them to abide and persevere and produce the fruits which followed. One nanosecond of an experience like this suffices to explain a library worth of info about God and his relationship to and desire for us. But it is very, very hard to not want to taste it again.
Also excellent!! But to know that He is there, and to not "fell" His presence is also awesome isn't it?
"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Apr 7, '08, 9:54 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - former Fundamental Evangelical Christian

I have gone to extreme lengths to describe to my pastor past experiences not only with the presence of God, but some very strange occurances. I've told some of my story online. Seems that God has given me some very unique gifts and blessings of seeing spectacular things and experiences. It started at my first confession and carried even through this past year when my entire family went through a conversion to Catholicism. The time I was away was void of the experience even though I was a very devoted Chrisitian to the faith we were practicing. It's not just a feeling. It's like you're in the hands of God. Dreams coming true. Voice from no where telling it's okay to marry my fundamentalist wife...three times in a row. Bazaar Visions in and out of sleep. Both good and some very disturbing, but always protected. Guardian Angel face to face, Blessed Mother encouraging me to finish a roasary I was not comfortable praying. The pastor shared with me his disturbing experience that troubled him for quite a while. And really neat experiences from one of his brothers at a funeral.

If they are imagined, they're pretty cool imaginary experiences. But I used to wonder if they were demonic in nature, but now accept them at face value. The truly blessed are those that haven't seen yet still believe. I think I needed extra convincing.
Old Apr 7, '08, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Thanks, Brian. I don't mean to be overly wary but whenever someone talks about the Holy Spirit, I'm not sure at first where they're coming from. And I thought you said something about Him being physically manifested (as a being) and I don't believe I've heard that before but now you've cleared it up better for me. I'm also wary because I've had these experiences too and tend to be protective of them. What really jumped out at me was in your reply when you said that it was like a set of arms surrounding you. I've often described it that way but I've never heard anyone else say it like that. For me it was as if God- I've always recognized this being as simply "God"-was behind me and surrounding me with Himself-holding me in His arms. If you had included a part about being in the presence of an infinitely powerful and totally unconditional LOVE then I might've thought I had wrote it myself. The amazing thing to me is that you seem to experience this frequently. I was "complaining" today in another thread about having this experience, combined with some others, once about 18 years ago and never again but if I understand you correctly it is quite common for you and I have to say that's hard for me to believe but what do I know-I'm jealous! Have you read the saints? I've just started and it's really awesome to hear someone struggle to describe these things in ways you can relate to. But they were generally people who gave their lives to God in big ways. I don't know you're story, of course, but I've wondered if the Lord is not working in more common folk these days.
I write this now feeling the Holy Spirit, I guess I'm in line with him, pray with all of your heart that you Love the Lord with all of your heart, soul, mind, strength and being and put absolutely all of what you are into it and do so from the most humble presence of your soul, expect tears, then ask for the Holy Spirit to reveal himself to you, that's all the advice I can say in this regard. I notice, when I pray, when I'm asking him a question and thinking of answers, that he will reveal himself strongly when I come accross the correct solution.

You are totally right, absolute Love, the likes of which man cannot display to another man, it's unreal.
Old Apr 7, '08, 10:43 pm

Quote:
No, this is different, I was called twice, this is the second time, I am not going to blow it this time. A different scenereo, the Holy Spirit was within her on a regular basis.

With all of the other posts, I'm very much liking the results, I feel I belong here due to your input, thank you and God bless you!!!
Old Apr 8, '08, 4:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhansen
The amazing thing to me is that you seem to experience this frequently.

I was "complaining" today in another thread about having this experience, combined with some others, once about 18 years ago and never again but if I understand you correctly it is quite common for you and I have to say that's hard for me to believe but what do I know-I'm jealous!
It seems to me that the experiences you described in the "other thread" were extraordinary ... rapture, visions, locutions. I sincerely doubt that is Brian's meaning in this thread. This would explain why he experiences it 'frequently.' If it is a gift of contemplative prayer where God infuses a 'taste' of Himself to the spirit, then yes, in the beginning, this gift may be given more often.

If you are able to receive this advice from the carmelite Doctors Sts. Teresa and John of the Cross, you need to ask for the grace to be detached from the gifts you received, or it will hinder you spiritually. I don't know familiar you are with their teachings, so I won't presume to share what you already know. But you may want to read Ascent of Mt. Carmel, specifically, and observe the cautions about clinging to extraordinary spiritual apprehensions, whatever they may be.

The only time St. John gives his ok to recall any apprehensions, is the gift Brian mentioned, for these enkindle love anew when we remember them, and were the reason for having been bestowed by God.

Last edited by Joysong; Apr 8, '08 at 4:32 am.
Old Apr 8, '08, 7:17 am

can you please link me to the other thread so I can catch up here?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality