Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 7, '08, 5:52 pm
GordonBOPS GordonBOPS is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2004
Posts: 194
Religion: Catholic
Default Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

I've read that Adam and Eve are dated as having lived about 4000BC -- however, some human civilizations (such as those based in Australia) are dated as old as 40,000 years. Does any one have insight on this issue and how we are to rectify this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 7, '08, 6:28 pm
Oregooner Oregooner is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 23, 2007
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

I assume you are referring to a countback on some of the genealogies in the Bible for the 4,000-year number (if I'm wrong let me know). It is assumed by some that those lists contain every generation from Adam. It may be, however, that the lists skip some generations and only list the "important" people. That could explain the discrepancy between the dating in the Bible and carbon dating. In short, both could be right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 7, '08, 6:41 pm
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 23,656
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBOPS View Post
I've read that Adam and Eve are dated as having lived about 4000BC
Where have you read this? Not in any Church document.

There is nothing to reconcile. The Catholic Church does not teach the Earth is 6000 years old. The Church does not teach any scientific theories or facts.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:01 pm
Mister De Mister De is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 20, 2008
Posts: 160
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Where have you read this? Not in any Church document.

There is nothing to reconcile. The Catholic Church does not teach the Earth is 6000 years old. The Church does not teach any scientific theories or facts.
In Joseph Deharbe's A Full Catechism of the Catholic Religion, it clearly teaches the time from creation to Jesus was 4,000 years, and that the history of the world is 6,000. If [at one point] it wasn't the position of the Church, it would not have been taught to millions of Catholics in school.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:06 pm
Nullasalus Nullasalus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 30, 2006
Posts: 580
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister De View Post
In Joseph Deharbe's A Full Catechism of the Catholic Religion, it clearly teaches the time from creation to Jesus was 4,000 years, and that the history of the world is 6,000. If [at one point] it wasn't the position of the Church, it would not have been taught to millions of Catholics in school.
I think it's better classified as 'a teaching/belief the Catholic church tolerated' - it was not a dogma of the Catholic church. Along the lines of how various miracles are judged as permissable for Catholics to believe in (Like Fatima) without requiring Catholics to believe in them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:15 pm
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 23,656
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister De View Post
In Joseph Deharbe's A Full Catechism of the Catholic Religion, it clearly teaches the time from creation to Jesus was 4,000 years, and that the history of the world is 6,000.
This is not a Church document.

This catechism is the work of a single man, not the Magesterium and not infallible or protected from error.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister De View Post
If [at one point] it wasn't the position of the Church, it would not have been taught to millions of Catholics in school.
Your conclusion does not follow from your premise. There are numerous things that have been taught to "millions" of Catholics that are not and were not doctrine.

One example would be Limbo, which was taught to Catholics by nuns, brothers, etc, and was never a doctrine of the Church.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 7, '08, 7:58 pm
edwest2 edwest2 is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 26, 2007
Posts: 18,948
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Where have you read this? Not in any Church document.

There is nothing to reconcile. The Catholic Church does not teach the Earth is 6000 years old. The Church does not teach any scientific theories or facts.
I suggest you look up the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. The Church has a strong interest in science.

I would also like to remind you that when Pope John Paul II stated that "evolution is more than a hypothesis," it was quickly grabbed and used as a weapon by the anti-God crowd.

Read "Human Persons Created in the Image of God." It is filled with statements about science, especially regarding scientific knowledge and how it should be viewed by the faithful.


God bless,
Ed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 7, '08, 8:23 pm
kell0618 kell0618 is offline
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: March 7, 2005
Posts: 1,260
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to kell0618
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

The Catholic Church does not view the Bible as a Science textbook.

In Humani Generis, Pope Pius XII made certain things very clear.
  • ~ Adam is the first parent of all mankind (HG #37)
  • ~ Genesis is history in a true sense (HG #38)
  • ~ Genesis chapters 1-11 is not a myth. (HG #39)
See also Catechism chapters:

  • 1. CCC #'s 296-299
  • 2. CCC #'s 355-358
  • 3. CCC #'s 371
  • 4. CCC #'s 54-55, 359-360, 375, 390-392, 402-405, 407, 416-417, 419
~ First parents
~ Personal sin
  • 5. CCC #'s 374-379, 384, 398, 415-416
  • 6. CCC #'s 396-397, 399
  • 7. CCC #'s 379, 390-392, 394-395, 397-398, 413-415
  • 8. CCC #'s 379, 390, 399-400, 410 -411
God is the primary author of the Bible, however, we must take into account that the 'pen' used was in the hand of man. We must read understanding the context of which each book was written and with the scientific knowledge or lacktherof at the time of the authorship.

Peace
__________________
Dominus vobiscum

Visit my blog at Catholic Ponderings
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 7, '08, 8:33 pm
edwest2 edwest2 is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 26, 2007
Posts: 18,948
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

I disagree. All scripture is given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God. Humani Generis very carefully lays out the conditions under which scripture and science should be studied. Any who say that the Bible is not a science book should remember that science is being used to attack it.

When the Church tells us that truth cannot contradict truth, it is not referring to a dictatorship. Truth flows both ways, not one way.




God bless,
Ed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 8, '08, 7:12 am
GordonBOPS GordonBOPS is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2004
Posts: 194
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

We have to assume, though, don't we, that the aboriginal people of Australia would have ended up there only AFTER the tower of Babel - right (as the flood would have wiped out the world's population)? So that shortens the timeline more...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 8, '08, 11:11 am
Layp3rs0n's Avatar
Layp3rs0n Layp3rs0n is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 1, 2008
Posts: 964
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Layp3rs0n
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

I have often considered this. It is possible (only a theory of mine), that people became people in the fullest sense when God gave them souls. Perhaps Homo Sapiens have been around for 40,000 years but only around 4000 BC did God "make them in His Own Image". (i.e. having an immortal nature- the human soul)
__________________
It is a good thing we have Apostolic Tradition backing up the fourth Marian dogma...otherwise it would only be a matter of Assumption.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 8, '08, 11:15 am
PhilVaz PhilVaz is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 16, 2004
Posts: 3,103
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to PhilVaz
Arrow Dating of Adam/Eve

One thread I started on this from the early days of the board.

When Did Adam/Eve Live?

My issue was the dating of the things mentioned in Genesis 4: metal working/metal tools, sophisticated musical instruments, domestication of animals/plants, cites, etc. That seems to put Cain/Abel at least in the 4000-5000 BC range since before 10000 BC everyone was still using stone tools. The things mentioned in Genesis 4 do not show up in the archaeological/cultural/anthropological record until 4000-5000 BC at the earliest.

Or: "The ecological and cultural environment described in Genesis 1-4 would represent not the historical environment of Adam and Eve (who date to 40,000 years ago or more), but rather that of the writer of Genesis." (from Adam, Eve and the Hominid Fossil Record)

Phil P
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 8, '08, 11:26 am
buffalo's Avatar
buffalo buffalo is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 7, 2004
Posts: 28,018
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Interpreting the Genealogies of Genesis Page 1
1 2 Challenged with the idea that Adam's date is 4004 BC and that the Flood occurred in 2238 BC, Robert Sungenis shows that, according to biblical chronology and archeological findings, these dates would be impossible, for it would leave only 66 years between Noah and Abraham. Read as Robert shows that the genealogies are actually a biblical calendar that takes us back to about the year 10,000 BC, with the Flood occurring around 5,000 BC.
__________________
IDvolution - God "breathed" the super language of DNA into the "kinds" in the creative act. Buffalo

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 8, '08, 11:42 am
Neil_Anthony Neil_Anthony is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 10, 2007
Posts: 4,876
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBOPS View Post
I've read that Adam and Eve are dated as having lived about 4000BC -- however, some human civilizations (such as those based in Australia) are dated as old as 40,000 years. Does any one have insight on this issue and how we are to rectify this?
Science (mainstream science, not quacks) have shown that the most recent common ancestor for everyone alive today lived around 5000BC to 2000BC.

Maybe it's related to that. Just a half-backed idea for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identical_ancestors_point

Edit: The great flood around 3000BC would be where we could trace our common ancestry back to, going by bible pre-history.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 8, '08, 12:06 pm
The Barbarian The Barbarian is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 8, 2005
Posts: 5,017
Default Re: Creation of Adam and Eve vs. Scientific Dating of Human Civilization

Quote:
Science (mainstream science, not quacks) have shown that the earliest common ancestor for everyone alive today lived around 5000BC to 2000BC.
Well, not quite...

Mitochondrial Eve is the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) of all humans via the mitochondrial DNA pathway, not the unqualified MRCA of all humanity. All living humans can trace their ancestry back to the MRCA via at least one of their parents, but Mitochondrial Eve is defined via the maternal line. Therefore, she necessarily lived much longer ago than the MRCA of all humanity.

The existence of Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam does not imply the existence of population bottlenecks or a first couple. They each lived within a large human population at a different time. Some of their contemporaries have no living descendants today, and others are ancestors of all people alive today. No contemporary of Mitochondrial Eve or Y-chromosomal Adam is an ancestor of only a subset of people alive today, because both of them lived much longer ago than the identical ancestors point.

Wikipedia

Quote:
Maybe it's related to that. Just a half-backed idea for you
There are some reasons to be skeptical, but it's a reasonable idea. It makes sense for the last human common ancestor to have lived roughly at that time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions regarding Adam & Eve vince2paul Apologetics 47 Apr 23, '08 9:23 pm
Could the fall of man have happened after Adam and Eve upbeatjonm Apologetics 4 Mar 26, '08 9:19 am
Do Adam and Eve prove creationism? DawnInTexas Ask an Apologist 1 Feb 13, '08 8:03 pm



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8019Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
4811CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4281Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: flower lady
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3809SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3356Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3177Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3141Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2953For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady
2672Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:35 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.