Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What do you think of slumber parties for giggling 3rd and 4th grade girls???
I think they are the pinnicle of parenting! What fun!!! I love giggling little girls! 3 5.77%
I think slumber parties for giggling girls are very cute. They are so sweet 10 19.23%
I find giggling girls, er, rather giggly and sometimes they can wear out adults with their giggling. 9 17.31%
Oh, I gave a slumber party like that. Hopefully yours will not end up with sobbing little girls and wet beds! 0 0%
Slumber parties for giggling girls call for at least one glass of wine, or better yet two. The wine will calm your nerves and make the whole experience bearable 16 30.77%
Slumber parties for giggly girls are a perfect penance for your sins, WhiteDove. You're getting just what you deserve! 5 9.62%
Slumber parties for little girls are my definition of Hell on Earth. I'd rather fast for 40 days in the desert... 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 19, '04, 6:50 pm
Banned

Default What do you think of slumber parties for giggling 3rd and 4th grade girls???

I'm in the middle of hosting a slumber party as I type.

What do you think of slumber parties for giggling 3rd and 4th grade girls???
Old Nov 19, '04, 6:59 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What do you think of slumber parties for giggling 3rd and 4th grade girls???

I think it's fun, it reminds me of when I was young. (I have a 4th grade daughter.) I think I'm more liberal than most parents in this area, I don't make them go to bed at a certain time (and I've warned the other parents about that ahead of time.) I say as long as your quiet and don't wake me up, it's up to you. I figure it's the weekend, it's only once in a while, why enforce a bedtime. I have realized ya need try to get them home the next day in the a.m. sometime, because after to being together that long and staying up late some discord can set in.
Old Nov 19, '04, 6:59 pm

Default Re: What do you think of slumber parties for giggling 3rd and 4th grade girls???

I think they give me a head ache :-) My husband used to think a b-day party at Chuck E Cheese was hell on earth. (or at least purgatory) ---KCT
Old Nov 19, '04, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89
I have realized ya need try to get them home the next day in the a.m. sometime, because after to being together that long and staying up late some discord can set in.
I think dealing with over tired, emotional girls the next day is the worst part :-) ---KCT
Old Nov 19, '04, 7:03 pm

Can we say Brady Bunch........
Old Nov 19, '04, 7:11 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

did brownies and girl scouts for 14 years, camping trips were the best part, glad to say both daughters are now leaders, camping with their own girls
Old Nov 19, '04, 7:19 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)

You might forego the wine when you have someone else's kids at your house. First, you never know when there might be an emergency that requires you to keep all your wits about you. Second, some parents might twist it way out of proportion (or the girls may notice and tell the parents) especially if the parents don't drink and think alcohol is evil. Just a suggestion based on the reaction I got from a 5th grade girl when I had 1 bottle of beer with dinner once!
Old Nov 19, '04, 7:24 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: What do you think of slumber parties for giggling 3rd and 4th grade girls???

My personal opinion:

I don't like sleep overs. Kids need their sleep. They are still growing. It's very bad on their hearts, brain...etc...it depends though on how often you have them. If once in a great while, maybe. But never all the time. Or even frequently. And depending on who these kids are...there could be lots of gossip, the stuff kids that age talk about now...(I have a sister in fourth grade, and it's almost impossible to keep her in line...) So that's my opinion...
Old Nov 19, '04, 8:25 pm
Banned

Well, I'm happy to report that, thus far, my girl's slumber party has been easy. I made macoroni and cheese, carrot sticks with ranch dressing and chocolate chip cookies. The girls are upstairs playing, and I am downstairs avoiding eating chocolate chip cookies, fiddling around on the computer and practising my guitar. I don't plan on drinking wine or eating cookies (it's Friday after all)
Old Nov 19, '04, 9:00 pm

Reading this thread made me flashback to my childhood. My sister is a couple years older than me, and all I can remember from when she had friends sleep over is that nobody in our house got a good nights sleep. Sure my sister and her friends camped out in the basement, but all her good toys were in her room! So all night long you heard clump, clump, clump up and down the stairs as they ferried toys to and from the basement . . .

Oh no! I feel another flashback coming on AUGH!!!!!!
Old Nov 20, '04, 12:02 am

The only big sleep-over I ever hosted as a girl was a disaster. Every single girl threw up and had to go home early. Major blow to my reputation of course! I was so embarrassed. I'll never know why, I guess there was something wrong with the food I served. Although I never got sick, so I don't know still.

I am not looking forward to my girls going over to other people's houses. Mainly because I don't know the other parents well enough yet. I am happy to have their kids over here though, but I voted for the glass of wine anyway. I suppose I would probably amend that to M&Ms or something in reality.
Old Nov 20, '04, 5:03 am

Send a message via Yahoo to mkw

Try a sleep over with 6 boys

My son will invite all his neighborhood friends over on Friday nite and I love it. All the noise and food and drinks and etc.....

My son is 11, he and his friends have a great time and I KNOW WHERE HE IS AND WHAT HE'S DOING.

There is NO drinking-cussing-smoking...just good old fashion front yard tackle football. LIFE IS GOOD
Old Nov 20, '04, 6:06 am
Banned

Everyone should experience at least one.....
Old Nov 20, '04, 8:53 am
Banned

The 8:45 AM PST report from Washington State on the slumber party is as follows:
Looks like the penance that I deserve is NOT a harsh one! The girls all went out to feed the chickens their scraps together. They were all asleep by 11PM last night. They are getting along great. They helped themselves to breakfast while I lounged in bed. I'm having my morning latte now, then I'll go do my morning prayers.

I did have dreams last night of searching for their parents and of a bed catching fire in one of my daughter's room. The girls all live in the neighborhood, though, so I can just send them home.
Old Nov 20, '04, 10:27 am

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilyofthevalley

By ELEVEN, YOU are good!!!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting