Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 16, '08, 6:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Catholic services at Walt Disney World

Hi there all,

I understand that religious\Catholic services are no longer held at Walt Disney World. (I believe they used to be held at the luau area of the Polynesian).

My wife, daughter and I are going to be vacationing there starting next Friday, the 25th. We will not have a car, nor easy access to off site transportation. I really hate to miss mass this particular week, as I have made a commitment to myself, and God, over the past months to get things back in order.

Is anyone familiar with the area, and is there an easy way to get to a mass on Sunday mornings?

Thanks for any info.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss
Old Apr 16, '08, 7:24 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic, Latin Rite
Default Re: Catholic services at Walt Disney World

Hey there. Hi there. Ho there. We're as Catholic as can be....

I believe the closest church to WDW is the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe, 8300 Vineland Avenue, Orlando, Fl 32821.

We have gone there for Mass - it is a wow! If you are staying on WDW property, I think they can arrange a taxi there and back. I would suggest calling the hotel before you go and asking.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 16, '08, 8:26 pm
Forum Elder

Yes, go to Our Lady Queen of the Universe.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Apr 16, '08, 8:39 pm

I know Disney will call a cab to get to the Shrine. I believe there is a car rental company, maybe National, on site that allows for a one day rental. You might want to call Disney and find out what the costs of the cab is versus the car rental.
Old Apr 16, '08, 8:40 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

go to the new shrine, it is beautiful, I think there are shuttles from most of the hotels on Sundays, don't know about holy days
Old Apr 17, '08, 2:57 am

Thank you all for the replies to this!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss
Old Apr 17, '08, 7:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post
Thank you all for the replies to this!
Here's the link! http://www.maryqueenoftheuniverse.org/
It's right down the street from Disney and has a fantastic book store too!
Enjoy your visit!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Apr 17, '08, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_in_FL View Post
Enjoy your visit!
Bookstore and gift shop. I just popped in yesterday to buy my godson his first bible and a rosary bracelet for my wife.
Old Apr 17, '08, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_in_FL View Post
Enjoy your visit!
Thanks for the link! Just checked it out, and if I can, I think I might try to get to the 7:30am Sunday mass. (I really wish they had like a 6am).! It's going to be hard due to the timing of breakfast and the days activity schedule, but I'll give it a shot.

Again, thanks all for the info!

- Dr. Seuss
Old Apr 17, '08, 12:19 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post
Thanks for the link! Just checked it out, and if I can, I think I might try to get to the 7:30am Sunday mass. (I really wish they had like a 6am).! It's going to be hard due to the timing of breakfast and the days activity schedule, but I'll give it a shot.

Again, thanks all for the info!
Not to sound like a wet blanket here, but, you have an obligation to attend Mass. It IS still a mortal sin to just skip mass, there must be a serious reason (you are sick, your caring for a sick child, there is a snow storm making it dangerous to drive, you would have to drive an hour to get there). I cannot imagine having breakfast with Mickey Mouse to be a serious reason to miss mass - I'd highly suggest you speak with your priest about this. You want to teach your family what is MOST important in life.
Old Apr 17, '08, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage_ar View Post
Not to sound like a wet blanket here, but, you have an obligation to attend Mass. It IS still a mortal sin to just skip mass, there must be a serious reason (you are sick, your caring for a sick child, there is a snow storm making it dangerous to drive, you would have to drive an hour to get there). I cannot imagine having breakfast with Mickey Mouse to be a serious reason to miss mass - I'd highly suggest you speak with your priest about this. You want to teach your family what is MOST important in life.
Thank you for your concern, but if I felt I needed a small preaching to as to what is right or wrong, I think I know who to speak with.

- Dr. Seuss
Old Apr 17, '08, 12:42 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS

Just a warning about going to the Shrine of Mary Queen of the Universe, you may get a hard sell at donating.

Of course it will totally depend on who the priest is, but every time we have gone there at least a major portion of the homily or announcement section deals with donating to the church. They also have cards in the pews advertising what you can get for different levels of donations.

But don't let this put you off from going, it is still a Catholic church and fulfills the Sunday obligation. Just a heads of that if you are prepared for it, it won't turn you off.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Apr 17, '08, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Just a warning about going to the Shrine of Mary Queen of the Universe, you may get a hard sell at donating.

Of course it will totally depend on who the priest is, but every time we have gone there at least a major portion of the homily or announcement section deals with donating to the church. They also have cards in the pews advertising what you can get for different levels of donations.

But don't let this put you off from going, it is still a Catholic church and fulfills the Sunday obligation. Just a heads of that if you are prepared for it, it won't turn you off.
This is because it's run by donations ONLY.
It's NOT a parish in the Diocese of Orlando... so I think it's fully funded by tourist donations...

HTH!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Apr 17, '08, 9:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

there is also a small but very interesting museum attached, well worth a visit, and the roses when in bloom, well
don't care much for Disney, we only went there one day the week we spent in Orlando, but the shrine was a high point of the trip, were there Sun and also feast of the Assumption.
Old Jun 23, '10, 12:18 pm
Observing Member

Hello Forum readers,

I am a prarisioner of Corpus Christi catholic church in Celebration Florida. They have recently completed the building of their new church, and while looking at your thread on this website, I want to make sure that you have all the proper contact information for them.

Please know the following: Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 1050 Celebration Avenue, Celebration, FL 34747. Telephone number is 321-939-1491. Website is being constructed, the link is www.celebrationcatholic.org . Their email address is [email protected] . Church is Saturday 5:30 PM, Sunday 8:30 AM, 10:30 AM, 5:30 PM which is a Contemporary music, and daily at 9:00 AM. I offer this information so that you may have the current accorate information for your website.

God bless,

Al

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life