Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 23, '04, 6:10 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Question BOOKS: Urantia

this is my first visit here. a friend of mine is really into reading the Urantia book, calling it the latest chapter in the book about God. Being raised Catholic and not being a bible reader, I have a hard time discussing my Catholic beliefs and even harder time understanding what is so compeling about the Urantian beliefs. Any opinions or help?
Old Nov 24, '04, 9:23 am

Default Re: Urantia Book

It is a vast turgid and strange book. It purports to be about aliens who revealed truths to some guy in Chicago years ago. No doubt he also wore aluminum foil hats to keep out death rays. There is a small cult associated with it. I suggest you stay far away from it and warn your friend. There is not an iota of truth in it.
Old Nov 24, '04, 9:27 pm
Moderator (ret.)

Cool Re: Urantia Book

Welcome to our forums and make sure to keep asking questions so that you keep your focus on the faith! We are happy that you have chosen to come here and learn about your faith! God bless you and good luck here on the forums.......
Old Feb 22, '09, 6:55 pm

re: the urantia book. It claims to be written by angels (not aliens) as a revelation to our planet. (which they call urantia)
There are people who read the book, but are hardly a "cult". That said, there are some strange off shoot groups ...but I find the book quite fascinating. A third of the book is the story of Jesus life and teachings which should be made into a movie. The Jesus portrayed is very compelling.
I suggest you check out the book yourself. Some people find it amazing, some don't ...but I'd always get it from the horses mouth so to speak. There are always those who fear new truth (pharisees) and in this book there is certainly lots of truth. Whether or not it is legit, judge for yourself. I am a catholic, attended catholic school,etc...and this book has helped me know God /Jesus much better-and made me a better Catholic.
wikipedia has solid info about this book.
Old Feb 22, '09, 7:01 pm

sample:
The human Jesus saw God as being holy, just, and great, as well as being true, beautiful, and good. All these attributes of divinity he focused in his mind as the "will of the Father in heaven." Jesus' God was at one and the same time "The Holy One of Israel" and "The living and loving Father in heaven." The concept of God as a Father was not original with Jesus, but he exalted and elevated the idea into a sublime experience by achieving a new revelation of God and by proclaiming that every mortal creature is a child of this Father of love, a son of God.

Jesus did not cling to faith in God as would a struggling soul at war with the universe and at death grips with a hostile and sinful world; he did not resort to faith merely as a consolation in the midst of difficulties or as a comfort in threatened despair; faith was not just an illusory compensation for the unpleasant realities and the sorrows of living. In the very face of all the natural difficulties and the temporal contradictions of mortal existence, he experienced the tranquillity of supreme and unquestioned trust in God and felt the tremendous thrill of living, by faith, in the very presence of the heavenly Father. And this triumphant faith was a living experience of actual spirit attainment. Jesus' great contribution to the values of human experience was not that he revealed so many new ideas about the Father in heaven, but rather that he so magnificently and humanly demonstrated a new and higher type of living faith in God. Never on all the worlds of this universe, in the life of any one mortal, did God ever become such a living reality as in the human experience of Jesus of Nazareth.
Old Feb 27, '09, 2:41 pm

Default Re: BOOKS: Urantia

The Urantia book is turgid, yes! The thing is, people actually believe that this whole "revelation in Chicago in 1930 something" happened. I can understand the appeal of the book; I had a copy during my liberal Episcopal days. I never read it, but I loaned it to someone who enjoyed parts of it.

That said, liking it or being inspired by it doesn't make the book "spiritually" sound... Christian... Catholic.

Read passages online, or sit with it at the library or bookstore, just don't bring the evil nonsense into your house, mmmkay?

Yep, I do get evil vibes from the book.

Old Feb 27, '09, 3:18 pm

Hardly evil. (in my opinion) I've read it. I'm mystified by anyone who could read the Jesus section and say it is evil. I agree that it might sound a bit strange in parts...but so did Jesus 2000 years ago-many thought he was unbalanced or "had a devil". I honestly believe that many people just resist/fear anything "new". So....I agree, read it for yourself. Depiction of Jesus is truly compelling and moving. As far as being "Catholic" or "Christian", frankly those are just designations of peoples opinions.
Old Feb 27, '09, 3:24 pm

It's a book of heresy regarding Jesus. I wouldn't read it. I'd rather fill my head with the knowledge of Jesus Christ than with lies.
Old Feb 27, '09, 3:52 pm

Heresy, I think not.
Old Feb 27, '09, 4:16 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetower View Post
Hardly evil. (in my opinion) I've read it. I'm mystified by anyone who could read the Jesus section and say it is evil. I agree that it might sound a bit strange in parts...but so did Jesus 2000 years ago-many thought he was unbalanced or "had a devil". I honestly believe that many people just resist/fear anything "new". So....I agree, read it for yourself. Depiction of Jesus is truly compelling and moving. As far as being "Catholic" or "Christian", frankly those are just designations of peoples opinions.

Opinions are not useful for a real relationship with the Living God. It would be good for you to have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

The Urantia book is nonsense.

Peace,
Ed
Old Feb 27, '09, 4:56 pm

Ed, I agree with the relationship with God part.

excerpts from "nonsense":

I have called upon you to be born again, to be born of the spirit. I have called you out of the darkness of authority and the lethargy of tradition into the transcendent light of the realization of the possibility of making for yourselves the greatest discovery possible for the human soul to make--the supernal experience of finding God for yourself, in yourself, and of yourself, and of doing all this as a fact in your own personal experience. And so may you pass from death to life, from the authority of tradition to the experience of knowing God; thus will you pass from darkness to light, from a racial faith inherited to a personal faith achieved by actual experience; and thereby will you progress from a theology of mind handed down by your ancestors to a true religion of spirit which shall be built up in your souls as an eternal endowment.

Your religion shall change from the mere intellectual belief in traditional authority to the actual experience of that living faith which is able to grasp the reality of God and all that relates to the divine spirit of the Father. The religion of the mind ties you hopelessly to the past; the religion of the spirit consists in progressive revelation and ever beckons you on toward higher and holier achievements in spiritual ideals and eternal realities.

While the religion of authority may impart a present feeling of settled security, you pay for such a transient satisfaction the price of the loss of your spiritual freedom and religious liberty. My Father does not require of you as the price of entering the kingdom of heaven that you should force yourself to subscribe to a belief in things which are spiritually repugnant, unholy, and untruthful. It is not required of you that your own sense of mercy, justice, and truth should be outraged by submission to an outworn system of religious forms and ceremonies. The religion of the spirit leaves you forever free to follow the truth wherever the leadings of the spirit may take you. And who can judge--perhaps this spirit may have something to impart to this generation which other generations have refused to hear?

Shame on those false religious teachers who would drag hungry souls back into the dim and distant past and there leave them! And so are these unfortunate persons doomed to become frightened by every new discovery, while they are discomfited by every new revelation of truth. The prophet who said, "He will be kept in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on God," was not a mere intellectual believer in authoritative theology. This truth-knowing human had discovered God; he was not merely talking about God.

I admonish you to give up the practice of always quoting the prophets of old and praising the heroes of Israel, and instead aspire to become living prophets of the Most High and spiritual heroes of the coming kingdom. To honor the God-knowing leaders of the past may indeed be worth while, but why in so doing, should you sacrifice the supreme experience of human existence: finding God for yourselves and knowing him in your own souls?
Old Feb 27, '09, 5:43 pm
Forum Elder

The Bible clearly tells Catholics and other Christians to not accept any other purported Gospel - to only accept the Gospel that was preached to them. The Bible is the Word of God. The Catholic Church is the one true, holy and apostolic Church.

Peace,
Ed
Old Feb 27, '09, 6:19 pm

Ed,
I believe Jesus is the Word of God. However, I keep openminded and recognize truth often comes in "non-ordained" packages.
Consider this: Jesus appeared among the Jews 2000 years ago. He did not quite fit their scriptures (although the more spiritually minded prophets forsaw ) The priests at their time studied the scriptures that told them no prophet, much less the Messiah arises from Nazareth.
I believe God often, in fact almost always, acts outside our realm of expectation. While this might be unsettling to some, I believe it is true. I also believe that each person has a "divine spark" in their soul that resonates what is true.
"The kingdom of heaven is within" ~Jesus
Peace
Old Feb 27, '09, 8:05 pm
Forum Elder

When the disciples of Christ began to spread the Gospel, the people searched the Scriptures to see if what they said was true. The New Testament mentions how Christ fulfilled Scripture.

If a person has the Truth, then there is a recognition that an "open" mind is not a good thing regarding the identity and work of Jesus Christ.

Urantia falls outside of acceptable Church teaching.

Peace,
Ed
Old Feb 28, '09, 5:22 am

Ed,
True the New Testament tells how Jesus fulfilled the scriptures. I interpret this as the Jewish believers in Jesus trying to convince their Jewish brethren that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. True, Jesus did most certainly fulfill the more spiritually minded prophesies. (esp much in the book of Enoch-it even uses the title "son of man" which Jesus calls himself) However, Jesus did not fulfill the Jewish scripture of a militant messiah who would with power lead the Jews to political freedom...and he was rejected because he did not fit this scriptural description.
Jesus was much more than the Jewish Messiah. He is the divine Son of God who actually created our universe. Jesus freely admitted this. His utterings were considered blasphemy by the Jewish priests who believed he was only human... and if he was only human, they would be right! It would have been blasphemy He forgave sins, he stated he who as seen me has seen the Father,he said the Father and I are one, before Abraham was,Iam. The priests were not prepared for this combination of God and man.

Whether the urantia book version of Jesus life falls outside of church teaching I am not sure. Depends who you talk to. But I think its good to recall that Jesus teachings certainly fell outside the accepted "church" teachings of his day. What if you were alive when Jesus was on earth? ...and the "church" closed their doors to him and told everyone,"Have nothing to do with this man, he is in partnership with Satan". You listened to him, and while many of his pronouncements sounded new and strange, there was something unusual about him and his teachings...and something responded deep within you.
I say this to point out that it is important to recognize that we all have an inner "truth recognition" response....and also out of respect and appreciation for the first generation of Jesus believers..
Regarding the urantia book...I have read the whole thing cover to cover (took a while). I realize it doesn't appeal to everyone-certainly! Most important thing is to share your inner life with God (doing God's will)....and if reading this book doesnt help you in that-don't read it! I just feel obligated to respond to people who make statements about the book that have not read it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media