Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What's you opinion on Children's Adoration?
Love it, I hope it catches on like Holy Fire! 43 71.67%
It's OK, take it or Leave it. 0 0%
I don't like it. (Please explain below) 0 0%
Don't Know, nver heard of it or never been. OTHER. 17 28.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 23, '04, 9:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Dismas2004 Send a message via Yahoo to Dismas2004
Cool Children's Adoration? What do you think?

Just curious how many people out there have heard of Children's Adoration?

What do you think?

Justin DeMoss

Our Missionary Website
www.catholicvisionforlife.com

Old Nov 24, '04, 4:37 am

Religion: RC
Default Re: Children's Adoration? What do you think?

well I know a lot of parents and grandparents who adore their children and place them above everything and everybody else, including God. You find a lot of them in Little league.

but seriously folks, as part of the celebration of the Eucharistic year, we are providing special catechesis on the Eucharist for catechists, children, youth, parents and parishioners throughout the year, and instituting regular Holy Hours for exposition and adoration, to which we urge parents to bring their children. we also have extended our chapel hours in the evening. The school is planning a special catechetical program and holy hours for each grade level. Our Advent and lent retreats for all grade levels in CCD will focus on the Eucharist, with holy hours, following the Y2K format.

It's like anything else what you learn as a child stays with you. After enduring years and years of disregard for the Real Presence, musical tabernacles, assembly line reception of communion, abolition of 40 hours, benediction and other Eucharistic devotions that marked my childhood and youth, I for one welcome its return and emphasis, and urge all families and children to participate.
Old Nov 24, '04, 4:42 am

Religion: raised Catholic, not sure now

I dunno...we had what could be termed "Children's Adoration" at my Catholic school when I was a kid. Most of us were really too young to understand fully what was going on, and I I recall the misery of being forced to kneel for 3 hours straight while nuns patrolled and whacked with a yardstick anyone who wasn't perfectly still, perfectly silent, and on their knees, ramrod-straight.

However, as a mom myself, with a gentler (but still respectful) approach, I think my daughter (age 9) would like the chance to talk to "her Jesus" for a little while (maybe 30 minutes?) on a regular basis. But then, she does that anyway, without benefit of a monstrance.

Therese
Old Nov 24, '04, 5:11 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have heard of it last year from EWTN...

Father Antoine Thomas from the Community of St. John was on w/
Fr. Mitch and I ordered the video from EWTN called "When Children Adore"
... I also ordered all the material on how to implement it...
There is a Leaders manual, music, etc. I think it's a great idea...nobody was receptive to it at my parish...
Old Nov 24, '04, 5:29 am

I guess it depends on how one defines children. Taking a toddler or young child for any length of time may be unreasonable. I do think that stopping in a chapel or church with a young one just to say hi to Jesus is good though. My 13 yr old and some of her friends do 15 min a week in front of the Blessed Sacrament. They pray for vocations and the intentions of the Holy Father. I say Children's Adoration is fine as long as it's age appropriate. ---KCT
Old Nov 24, '04, 5:34 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annunciata
I have heard of it last year from EWTN...

Father Antoine Thomas from the Community of St. John was on w/
Fr. Mitch and I ordered the video from EWTN called "When Children Adore"
... I also ordered all the material on how to implement it...
There is a Leaders manual, music, etc. I think it's a great idea...nobody was receptive to it at my parish...
I forgot to add that this teaches children of all ages, escpecially the little ones about "Adoration"...that's when we really want to get them!
Annunciata
Old Nov 24, '04, 5:51 am
Veteran Member

I take my boys, 8 and 11 to weekly Adoration. It is not aimed at kids - just general Adoration. They fidget, they read, they get up and walk around to do the Stations of the Cross.
At first I was a bit uncomfortable because my boys were not perfectly quiet praying little angels. Maybe the rustling of their book pages was distracting to others at Adoration. Then I realized that Jesus loves His little ones and I think it pleases Him greatly to see them there. How else are they gonna learn?

I also noticed there are a few parents who wheel their strollers into Adoration - even for a few minutes.

The children get a big blessing from this time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I have noticed significant strides in my boys faith and I attribute it directly to Adoration and the rosary.

Old Nov 24, '04, 6:29 am
Book Club Member

My parish offers children's adoration on the first Friday of each month. It is for one hour in the evening. It is beautiful! The altar is adorned with many candles, the monstrance evelvated on the altar. A guitarist leads us in some traditional hymns. The deacon gives a talk at "their level"- most of the kids are 12 and under, with many toddlers. My kids are 5 and 3 and you cannot beleive the impact it has had on them. They (are beginning) understand Jesus is present in the Eucharist and how we are to love and adore Jesus. The children have carpet squares which they kneel upon at the step right before the altar. It is a wonderful sight! Our priest is in the confessional hearing confessioins during the whole time. A light social follows. Also- one decade of the rosary is prayed and 10 children have the chance to lead the Hail Mary's individually .. Hearing a 3 year old offer her prayer in clear and respectful manner can bring tears to your eyes!

I hope to continue attending Children's Adoration and hope it catches on in other areas. What a blessing!

-St. John Vianney
Old Nov 24, '04, 6:58 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I forgot to add that this teaches children of all ages, escpecially the little ones about "Adoration"...that's when we really want to get them!
Annunciata
I'm really not with it this morning... here is the website:
http://www.childrenofhope.org/
Annunciata
Old Nov 24, '04, 9:21 am
Book Club Member

Smile Re: Children's Adoration? What do you think?

I think it is wonderful! One day I was a Adoration and there was this mother with a small child (about three years old) and the mother's mother was with them. I was amazed at how quiet this child was! (smile) The grandmother said something to her greanddaughter that was so touching! When the child would begin to fitgit and squirm, the grandmother (who was kneeling behind the child) would lean over and point to the Blessed Sacrement and whisper, "Look at Jesus. See Jesus?" The child would still and sometimes turned to look wide eyed at the Blessed Sacrement.

It was such a beatutiful moment!
Old Nov 24, '04, 10:54 am

Quote:
I'm really not with it this morning... here is the website:
http://www.childrenofhope.org/
Annunciata
I think it's beautiful. I've attended children's adoration with Fr. Antoine many times, especially when I was first coming into the Church, and it had a profound effect on me. It can teach us adults that we can truly come before God as little children, simply open, eager, fidgety even, without lots of flowery prayers or profound thoughts. Just being in His presence and loving Him.
Old Nov 24, '04, 11:48 am
Banned

Dear friends

I feel that with this being the season of Advent commencing nex sunday and over the Christmas period, children may be introduced by the Child Jesus to Eucharistic Adoration, this is a way in which they can from a very early age, understand the Eucharist by the Child of Jesus, the birth of the Infant Jesus and His childhood can come to appreciate in child-like terms the beauty and perfect gift we have in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist and just as the Three Wise Men and the Shepherds came to adore the baby Jesus, so we echo this in Eucharistic Adoration.

This would be a lovely Eucharistic Adoration theme to follow commencing from His conception, birth, childhood, ministry and death and ressurection. A gift back to Jesus to show we love Him and adore Him. Jesus said, let all the little chidlren come to me and do not hinder them.

A once a month Eucharistic Adoration for children would institute a life-long appreciation and love of our Eucharistic Lord and an understanding of Him in the Real Presence that will be engrained in their hearts.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa
Old Nov 24, '04, 12:47 pm

Religion: Catholic --with a dash of Charismatic
Send a message via AIM to Makerteacher

Our school offers Eucharistic Adoration on the First Friday of every month. Our priest comes over right after Mass and exposes the Blessed Sacrament for us. At least one person is always in the chapel with Jesus during the entire day, but usually it is a whole class.

Each class goes as a class, with the time periods getting longer as the kids get older. Preschoolers go for ten minutes to our Eucharistic Chapel of The Sacred Heart of Jesus, where their teachers lead them in a few short prayers, a few moments of silence, and then the singing of Tantum Ergo. Afterwards, back in the classroom, they draw a picture or write about their experience and their prayers.

My eighth graders go for a solid hour. We start with a kneeling prayer, do the Litany of the Saints and a short meditation from the book, "A Holy Hour with Jesus", then remain in silence for the rest of the hour. We also end with the singing of Tantum Ergo, and sometimes also sing other classic hymns of adoration. Because we are last to attend Adoration in the school, we are greatly blessed to be present when the Benediction occurs each time.

I love it.

Lord, in my zeal for the love of truth, let me not forget the truth about love.--- St. Thomas Aquinas.

Remember to pray for vocations and for your priest today.

Last edited by Makerteacher; Nov 24, '04 at 12:48 pm. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 24, '04, 1:18 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maendem
... it had a profound effect on me. It can teach us adults that we can truly come before God as little children, simply open, eager, fidgety even, without lots of flowery prayers or profound thoughts. Just being in His presence and loving Him.
Hi Maendum,
I actually got as much out of Fr. Antoine than I think the kids do...as you say "like little children".....This is how I think Adoration should be...innocent , pure and yes, just lovingly being in His Presence.
God Bless Annunciata
Old Nov 25, '04, 6:46 am
Observing Member

My parish is beginning to implement a catechism program called the Catechism of the Good Shepherd. It's a great program where kids starting at age 3 or so gather in a sacred space and hear a short presentation (usually about a gospel parable or about a liturgical item like a chausible (sp?)). They then have time to work with items (maps of the holy land, purificators, etc) or to draw and color. Some really amazing insights can come from these sessions. For instance, after presenting the parable of the good shepherd, it's not unusual to hear the children spontaneously say things like "I love you Jesus!"

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality