Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 30, '08, 4:54 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Mandatory Head covering in Orthodox church?

Is it mandatory for women to cover their head in an Eastern Orthodox church?
the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul. For it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority.- St. Irenaeus
Old Apr 30, '08, 5:48 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: mandatory Head covering

Some Orthodox parishes are rather strict about it. Others are not.

It's a beautiful custom, and I think they are becoming. But God knows what the top of a woman's head looks like. After all, He invented them.

Lack of a covering should not become a reason not to go to church.
Old Apr 30, '08, 8:18 am

I don't know how I feel about seeing a womans head being covered. I seen very, very few actually covered. I suppose it has a certain personal reverence for the person wearing it. Wearing one might make a woman feeling more virturious, feminine, humble, more like Mary.
I don't think it should be mandatory. It should be left up to the individual woman how she personally wants to give reverence. Because if it becomes mandatory, that could lead to putting tissue paper on one's head in case of emergency. Any way just a quick few thoughts.
Old Apr 30, '08, 9:24 am

Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersKeys View Post
Just remember the reason the woman's head was covered. It showed her station and position within the village community.

It showed who was eligible for marriage, who was newly married, who was married with children, who was a grandmother and who was a widow..
Old Apr 30, '08, 2:56 pm

what about the biblical commandments to cover? (Cor 11:1-16, 1Thess 2:15, 3:6)

In summary, the reasons St. Paul advises women to cover their heads in church are:

1. Our Lord commanded it;

2. it is a visible sign of an invisible order established by God;

3. The angels at Mass are offended if women don't use it;

4. it is a ceremonial vestment;

5. it is our heritage.

http://www.tldm.org/news6/veils.htm
Old Apr 30, '08, 4:15 pm

Send a message via AIM to Evlogitos
Default Re: Mandatory Head covering in Orthodox church?

Technically, yes, head coverings are mandatory. However, for the sake of economy, they are often (too often) dispensed with.

In the word ye shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer: I have overcome the world.

Christ is in our midst!
Old May 5, '08, 4:26 pm
Book Club Member

I agree. I think its disrespectful to not cover during the sacrifice at mass. I've found at Church that women who cover seem to be more devoted to their faith. Why throw away that rich heritage for the sake of modernism?
the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul. For it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority.- St. Irenaeus
Old Dec 3, '08, 5:10 pm
Banned

Religion: Greek Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersKeys View Post
Depends on the parish - because it is a cultural thing.

Generally speaking:

In all Monasteries: Yes (and only dresses - no skin showing from the neck down & no make up) - in fact, if you arrive, not dressed appropriately, they usually have clothes for you to wear over what you came in wearing.

In the Russian Orthodox Churches: Yes (and only dresses - no skin showing from the neck down & no make up)

In the Serbian Orthodox Churches: No (but women/girls should be in dresses rather than pants, make up is fine)

In the Greek Orthodox Churches: No (pants are just fine - although usually the women wear suits - jackets/blouses with either pants or skirts, but not always - make up is fine)

OCA - anything goes for both sexes for the most part - often times you'll see devote members wearing burkenstocks (did I spell those shoes right?) or open toed sandles, shorts are not unusual - especially during Vespers the night before Divine Liturgy - but some of the women do wear veils, but it's unusual.
Old Dec 3, '08, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofantioch View Post
what about the biblical commandments to cover? (Cor 11:1-16, 1Thess 2:15, 3:6)

In summary, the reasons St. Paul advises women to cover their heads in church are:

1. Our Lord commanded it;

2. it is a visible sign of an invisible order established by God;

3. The angels at Mass are offended if women don't use it;

4. it is a ceremonial vestment;

5. it is our heritage.

http://www.tldm.org/news6/veils.htm
Let's clear up this common misunderstanding about head covering in the Orthodox Church. We refer to I Corinthians:

"But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying, disgraces her head; for she is one and the same with her whose head is shaved." (1 Cor. 11:5)

Notice St. Paul is giving instruction to the Corinthians. In Corinth, prostitutes were plenty and shaved their heads. This is what he is referring to. If we continue to read on to verse 15, it says:

"but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering." (1 Cor. 11:15)

We need to put 1 Corinthians into proper context to realize St. Paul's meaning here regarding head covering.
'for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.' (1 Cor. 14:33)
Old Dec 3, '08, 8:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triciacat View Post
Let's clear up this common misunderstanding about head covering in the Orthodox Church. We refer to I Corinthians:

"But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying, disgraces her head; for she is one and the same with her whose head is shaved." (1 Cor. 11:5)

Notice St. Paul is giving instruction to the Corinthians. In Corinth, prostitutes were plenty and shaved their heads. This is what he is referring to. If we continue to read on to verse 15, it says:

"but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering." (1 Cor. 11:15)

We need to put 1 Corinthians into proper context to realize St. Paul's meaning here regarding head covering.
No one in my Antiochian parish wears head coverings.
Old Dec 3, '08, 8:17 pm

Nor in my Orthodox church, either. Unfortunately, due to the misunderstanding and misquoting of St. Paul's teachings in his letter to the Corinthians, some still do.

Verse 15 is often ignored for some reason.
'for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.' (1 Cor. 14:33)
Old Dec 16, '08, 10:21 pm
Banned

Religion: I am not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triciacat View Post
Nor in my Orthodox church, either. Unfortunately, due to the misunderstanding and misquoting of St. Paul's teachings in his letter to the Corinthians, some still do.

Verse 15 is often ignored for some reason.
What is considered to be "long" hair, by Paul?
Old Dec 17, '08, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsmart View Post
What is considered to be "long" hair, by Paul?
I'm not aware of any specific instructions in Scripture as to how long hair was supposed to be. He is just differentiating from those with shaven heads who often held to immoral lifestyles. Note the question mark (?) after his words--perhaps he is warning us against being overly vain where hair is concerned, and is trying to say that God gave us hair for one reason--to cover our heads.

The important meaning here is that Paul is admonishing us against hypocrisy.
Old Dec 17, '08, 10:04 am

Religion: Catholic (Former SDA)

The prostitutes in Corinth had shaven heads because they were slaves. Their masters kept the elaborate wigs they wore while on duty locked up. This prevented the shaved prostitutes from running. Some of these prostitutes became Christians and went to Mass. St. Paul didn't want the women with long beautiful hair putting down these slaves and glorying in their own long hair.

This of course, brings up many other questions. A slave does as he/she is told or suffers the consequences. If a slave was forced to be a prostitute, what would the Church require of her/him in terms of morality?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions