Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '08, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Why no patron saint of broken hearts?

Maybe my Google-fu isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I'm having a hard time finding a patron saint of the broken hearted. The closest thing I've been able to find is St. Dwynwen, but she's more the patron saint of lovers than of those with broken hearts. Am I just missing this or is there really no saint for this? Seems like a big hole to leave unplugged...

I will try to explain myself to the best of my ability, and I apologize in advance when my ability seems to be functioning as if it were intoxicated.
Old May 1, '08, 6:35 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Why no patron saint of broken hearts?

I would have to say the greatest help for broken hearts are the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, both symbolically depicted in their icons and pictures as hearts open, wounded, pierced for our sake.
Old May 1, '08, 6:41 pm

Or, perhaps, you should consider not the broken heart itself, but rather the cause of the heartache, and go from there. For example, if the heartbreak is over alcoholism of your father, you might consider a patron saint of addictions, or of fathers. If it is a marital relationship that is the source of the pain, look to one of the many saints specially tied to marriages.

This site: http://saints.sqpn.com/patron00.htm#b might be a good place to start.
Old May 2, '08, 2:01 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Somewhere I read, "Jesus will heal a broken heart if you give Him all the pieces."
Old May 2, '08, 11:20 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
I would have to say the greatest help for broken hearts are the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, both symbolically depicted in their icons and pictures as hearts open, wounded, pierced for our sake.
I totally agreed. Thanks for your reply. The two Broken Hearts are also full of forgiveness.
Old May 2, '08, 7:45 pm

Religion: catholic

i hear that archangel raphael may help.
Old May 2, '08, 10:58 pm
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ambrose View Post
i hear that archangel raphael may help.
Indeed. LINK.
Old Jan 12, '09, 5:47 pm
Observing Member

Im not sure why there is no patron saint of broken hearts. I would like to say that I have stayed true to my catholic roots but ever since the middle of high school I strayed away. Im also sorry to say that I havnt been to church since I got to college. But I made an account on this place to begin a new path for myself. I lost a very dear person in my life. My Girlfriend of nearly 3 years. No, that is not as long as some couples go but Its the longest and closest I have ever been in. Because of my sinful ways I lost her and dont exactly know if I will be able to get her back. I feel that in time its a possibility but its not for certain. I do know that I am in love with her and want to make things right. Basically the reason I wrote out this long replay is to ask all of you to pray for me and my girlfriend and that we can work things out together.

Thank You All
Old Jan 17, '09, 1:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

B l a i n e T o g.
i truly believe that there is no patron saint of broken hearts because we are meant to take our woundedness, our brokenness and our pain to Jesus and to Mary Themselves, and offer up our suffering to Them, and from Them to completely receive our healing. i donít think that God would assign a saint to be the patron of broken hearts, when He longs for all of us to come to Him with our suffering and offer it up to Him in love, hope and trust.

why are you interested in finding a patron saint of broken hearts? if itís because youíre going through your own suffering at the moment, please let us know, so that we can support you in any way that we can, and keep you in our constant thoughts and deepest prayers. iím so sorry beyond words if youíre interested in finding this because of your own struggles, but please know that even in your darkest hour, you are far from alone, and that there is always hope in God, Who is forever waiting in patient Love for us to offer up our broken hearts to Him, and receive His restoration.

God bless you.

love,
in the peace and love of Christ,
alison
Old Jan 17, '09, 2:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Blaine.. I would suggest a devotion to Our Lord's Agony in the Garden.. for a broken heart. I can think of no greater Heart, being broken.. than in this instance. His Sacred Heart "broken" for all of humanity. May God bless you.
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Jan 18, '09, 7:37 am

Blaine -
I have to agree with PuzzleAnnie -
No matter the problem - go to the Source. God. The Son of God. And the Mediatrix of Graces, the Mother of God.

The Sacred Heart is All Merciful, crowned with thorns and pierced by a lance - now sheds boundless Mercies to those who ask.
The Blessed Mother's heart was pierced with dolorous passion at seeing her Son Crucified. She understands broken hearts.
Both Hearts know Love, Pain, Mercy and Forgiveness.

But perhaps your post (or my reading it) was ironically timed, I just received one of those many mailings we get from charities - this one being Valentine cards from a group of Carmelite Friars (link posted below) - offering a Mass for "brokenhearted" on Valentine's Day. So, after going to The Sacred Heart and Our Lady, you might want to read up on this one. It's the first time I'd ever seen it.

www.carmelitedevelopment.org
Old Jan 29, '09, 10:55 am
Banned

Religion: ADF Druid
Send a message via AIM to cyberwolf001 Send a message via Yahoo to cyberwolf001 Send a message via Skype™ to cyberwolf001

This does bring up a point however, why a communion of Saints when we can always go straight to Jesus and Mary?

I'm a devote Catholic mind you but I feel this question is one that could always merit serious consideration when a request for a patron saint meets the response of why a patron saint when you can just go to Jesus and Mary.
Old Jan 31, '09, 5:46 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwolf001 View Post
This does bring up a point however, why a communion of Saints when we can always go straight to Jesus and Mary?

I'm a devote Catholic mind you but I feel this question is one that could always merit serious consideration when a request for a patron saint meets the response of why a patron saint when you can just go to Jesus and Mary.
Hi, Good question. You can go straight to Jesus or Mary, but the church holds up examples of how to be an exemplary christian to us by canonisising saints and recommending we imitate them. Jesus and Mary are perfect and it can be daunting trying to imitate them but when we read about the saints we see people who were less than perfect like us and through hard work became saints to cut a long story short. Saints are made patrons of certain causes if they excelled in that particular virtue or aspect. We are a communion of saints and the saints in heaven are intensely concerned for our salvation and will assist us if we ask them. Why does God bother to do anything? He's perfectly happy in himself. But he is creative and created the world and let us not forget the glory and honour we show Gods masterpieces- the saints is glory and honour given to their creator too. So when we pray to saints we appreciate Gods masterpieces and give God glory. Praying to patron saints works too. All catholics and many others have found this.
I second the suggestion of spiritually joining yourself to Jesus in the agony in the garden. I once heard this - In order to understand how much our Lord suffered one must first be able to love as perfectly as God loves. Then be subjected to the rejection, tortue and crucifixion our Lord was subjected to. Since Gods love is infinite, Gods suffering was infinite.
If our loved ones reject us we do suffer. Join your suffering to our Lords and place yourself in his heart. There you will find rest and consolation.
our Lady of fair love and St Gabriel are great to pray to, to help you find the right partner.
God bless and good luck.
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Jun 25, '11, 11:25 pm
Trial Membership

I came across this forum while searching for the patron saint of broken hearts. I'm very young, but my heart has broken and I've turned to God because I believe what led to my heart being broken was sinful ways. I turned away from God, I lost my relationship with Him and I lost my relationship with someone who meant to world to me. I tried to move on from this person thinking that things ended for the best, but I can't. St. Rita is my confirmation saint, as well as the patron saint of lost causes (the hopeless, the impossible, etc.) I have turned to her for comfort and continue to pray to her for a second chance. I have put all my faith into God and I am amazed everyday by His love for me. He has never turned from me as I have turned from him. I ask you all to please pray for me because I really need it. Thank you so much and may God bless you all in every way.
Old Jun 26, '11, 2:56 am

God bless you and help with your broken heart...I have felt pain of loss and heartache also but it has made me remain close to God as it says also in the Bible that God is near the broken hearted and crushed in spirit

God will remember all the tears we shed for lost loved ones and we can just thank him for allowing us to experience a love between persons

It is a beautiful thing to love

Despair blinds us of the love God has for us and gives us
When love for his creatures fails us we must be reminded firstly how much we are to give our hearts love to the Lord

Peace

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality