Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 2, '08, 9:29 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Tabernacle In The Church

A friend of mines church took the tabernacle out and put it in a seperate area altogether seperate from the church itself. It's in a little small room with chairs in it to sit or kneel if you want. When some people complained that they would prefer to have it remain in the church the priest explained that when you first enter a church the first thing you should focus on is not the tabernacle. He listed several things that should be focused on first before the tabernacle (I can't recall all the things listed). The ambo was on the list even before the tabernacle. This sounds strange. Would anyone have any idea what he's talking about? Any opinions please. Any documentation on this anywhere? Thanks
Old May 2, '08, 10:40 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tabernacle In The Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKA MAKA1 View Post
A friend of mines church took the tabernacle out and put it in a seperate area altogether seperate from the church itself. It's in a little small room with chairs in it to sit or kneel if you want. When some people complained that they would prefer to have it remain in the church the priest explained that when you first enter a church the first thing you should focus on is not the tabernacle. He listed several things that should be focused on first before the tabernacle (I can't recall all the things listed). The ambo was on the list even before the tabernacle. This sounds strange. Would anyone have any idea what he's talking about? Any opinions please. Any documentation on this anywhere? Thanks
If I recall correctly, the tabernacle is supposed to be within sight of the altar. This is a relatively recent rule (maybe 20 years or so?), so if the tabernacle was not in view of the altar when the rule was instituted, then it does not HAVE to be moved. But the Church would seriously frown on someone moving the tabernacle to a spot that is not visible from the altar.

Your priest may be in error if he moved it out of eyesight from the altar.

And his reasoning, IMO, is especially shoddy. The tabernacle is one of the main focuses of the Mass. It sounds like your priest is trying to accomodate our Christian Brothers over our own parishioners.
Old May 2, '08, 10:46 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
If I recall correctly, the tabernacle is supposed to be within sight of the altar. This is a relatively recent rule (maybe 20 years or so?), so if the tabernacle was not in view of the altar when the rule was instituted, then it does not HAVE to be moved. But the Church would seriously frown on someone moving the tabernacle to a spot that is not visible from the altar.

Your priest may be in error if he moved it out of eyesight from the altar.

And his reasoning, IMO, is especially shoddy. The tabernacle is one of the main focuses of the Mass. It sounds like your priest is trying to accomodate our Christian Brothers over our own parishioners.
The tabernacle is NOT any focus of the Mass never mind a 'main focus'.

Its sole purpose is to hold reserved Sacrament (for things like private prayer and visiting the sick and infirm).
Old May 2, '08, 10:51 pm
Banned

From the Ask an Apologist area:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...ght=tabernacle
Old May 3, '08, 8:40 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilish Maura View Post
The tabernacle is NOT any focus of the Mass never mind a 'main focus'.

Its sole purpose is to hold reserved Sacrament (for things like private prayer and visiting the sick and infirm).
Then why am I reading something different in the link you showed?

Quote:
When the tabernacle is in the body of the church, it must be ...

Readily Visible

General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

314. In accordance with the structure of each church and legitimate local customs, the Most Blessed Sacrament should be reserved in a tabernacle in a part of the church that is truly noble, prominent, readily visible, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.

Prominent and conspicuous

Code of Canon Law:

Canon 938

º1. The Most Holy Eucharist is to be reserved regularly in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory.
º2. The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved should be placed in a part of the church that is prominent, conspicuous, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.

In a most worthy place with the greatest honor

Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

1183 The tabernacle is to be situated "in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor." The dignity, placing, and security of the Eucharistic tabernacle should foster adoration before the Lord really present in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar.

In a spot in the church which is very prominent, truly noble…….

Inaestimabile donum

24. The tabernacle in which the Eucharist is kept can be located on an altar, or away from it, in a spot in the church which is very prominent, truly noble, and duly decorated, or in a chapel suitable for private prayer and for adoration by the faithful.(34)

In Redemptor hominis Pope John Paul II calls on bishops and priests to “be vigilant in seeing that this Sacrament of love... be at the centre of the life of the People of God…”

This Sacrament of love resides in the tabernacle! Why hide the true Light of this world (John 8:12)? After all, “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.” (Luke 8:16)

Old May 3, '08, 9:15 am
Banned

Quote:
Then why am I reading something different in the link you showed?
Nothing in the link I provided says that the tabernacle is the main focus - especially not the main focus of the Mass.

All the comments are regarding a proper and suitable location with no specification beyond that. You will notice the remarks you quote and underline do NOT say the tabernacle needs to be near the altar.
Old May 3, '08, 9:22 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Nothing in the link I provided says that the tabernacle is the main focus - especially not the main focus of the Mass.
I said it was ONE of the main focuses of the Mass. I did not say it was "The main focus of the Mass". Any of the Masses that I go to seem to give it great respect and honor, as do the posts that I underlined. This would make it one of the main focuses of the Mass. "One of the main focuses" does not mean "the main focus".

Quote:
All the comments are regarding a proper and suitable location with no specification beyond that. You will notice the remarks you quote and underline do NOT say the tabernacle needs to be near the altar.
And you will notice that I never said it had to be near the altar. I said it should be within eyesight of the altar. "Within eyesight" does not mean "near".
Old May 3, '08, 9:51 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

But the rules you quoted don't say it has to be within eyesight of the altar, they say it has to be in a visible location. A visible location could be elsewhere in the church (e.g., visible as you enter the church building). Many churches have a separate chapel for the Blessed Sacrament where people can go in and pray apart from Mass.

If a parish has perpetual adoration they need a separate chapel since the Sacred Host cannot be exposed in the same place where Mass is being celebrated. I suppose the adoration chapel could be in a separate place from the tabernacle, but it makes sense that they would be together.
Old May 3, '08, 9:54 am
Banned

Quote:
I said it was ONE of the main focuses of the Mass. I did not say it was "The main focus of the Mass". Any of the Masses that I go to seem to give it great respect and honor, as do the posts that I underlined. This would make it one of the main focuses of the Mass. "One of the main focuses" does not mean "the main focus".

And you will notice that I never said it had to be near the altar. I said it should be within eyesight of the altar. "Within eyesight" does not mean "near".
There is only ONE main focus of the Mass. The tabernacle is basically a storage area for reserved Blessed Sacrament. The reserved Blessed Sacrament is what is really given the place of honor and it is reserved for reasons like bringing to the infirm and dying as well as for private prayer and meditation. It really has no part in the Mass though often churches have enough to supplement what is consecrated during a Mass.

How are they giving this storage area 'great respect and honor' in MASSES you attend?

The things you quoted do not support your position that the tabernacle needs to be 'within eyesight' of the altar.
Old May 3, '08, 9:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
A friend of mines church took the tabernacle out and put it in a seperate area altogether seperate from the church itself. It's in a little small room with chairs in it to sit or kneel if you want.
It sounds like your friend's church has a separate Adoration Chapel. If that is the case, it is acceptable. This article explains location of the tabernacle.

Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Old May 3, '08, 10:15 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Church would somewhat disagree with him. When you enter a Catholic Church the Tabernacle with the Blessed Sacrament IS the first thing you should focus on. This IS what sets the Catholic church apart from Protestant places of worship.
Old May 3, '08, 10:29 am
Forum Master

Quote:
There is only ONE main focus of the Mass. The tabernacle is basically a storage area for reserved Blessed Sacrament. The reserved Blessed Sacrament is what is really given the place of honor and it is reserved for reasons like bringing to the infirm and dying as well as for private prayer and meditation. It really has no part in the Mass though often churches have enough to supplement what is consecrated during a Mass.

How are they giving this storage area 'great respect and honor' in MASSES you attend?
I don't know. How is it stated in the quote you posted? Oh yeah!
Quote:
1183 The tabernacle is to be situated "in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor." The dignity, placing, and security of the Eucharistic tabernacle should foster adoration before the Lord really present in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar.
We bow before the tabernacle, not because of it, but because of the Presence within it.
Quote:
The things you quoted do not support your position that the tabernacle needs to be 'within eyesight' of the altar.
The things I quoted were from your post.

When I said it is supposed to be within eyesight I said:
Quote:
If I recall correctly, the tabernacle is supposed to be within sight of the altar.
Now, maybe I'm using the rules within my diocese, because that's the way it is. One paish had it next to the altar, and then moved it to another room for the Adoration Chapel. The Bishop had a cow when he heard this.
Old May 3, '08, 4:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
We bow before the tabernacle, not because of it, but because of the Presence within it.

When I said it is supposed to be within eyesight I said: Now, maybe I'm using the rules within my diocese, because that's the way it is. One paish had it next to the altar, and then moved it to another room for the Adoration Chapel. The Bishop had a cow when he heard this.
There is nothing wrong (as you saw yourself in the quotes) with creating an Adoration Chapel.

If your diocese has added something to make this 'within eyesight' a rule then it is a local issue and nothing more.

BTW - has this bishop added bowing before the tabernacle within the Mass? It would almost seem that way from your wording.
Old May 3, '08, 4:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
The Church would somewhat disagree with him. When you enter a Catholic Church the Tabernacle with the Blessed Sacrament IS the first thing you should focus on. This IS what sets the Catholic church apart from Protestant places of worship.
Where is it documented that the Church calls for the Tabernacle be the first thing you should focus on when entering a Catholic church?
Old May 3, '08, 5:13 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
There is nothing wrong (as you saw yourself in the quotes) with creating an Adoration Chapel.

If your diocese has added something to make this 'within eyesight' a rule then it is a local issue and nothing more.
Ok, I'll give you that. That's why I prefaced my post with "If I recall correctly".

Quote:
BTW - has this bishop added bowing before the tabernacle within the Mass? It would almost seem that way from your wording.
I certainly bow after opening it and before closing it When I pass in front of the altar, I bow, but to be honest with you, I'm not sure if I'm bowing to the altar or the tabernacle (or both - which is what I think I'm doing).

But in any event, it seems it is certainly worthwhile:
Quote:

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments