Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 5, '08, 1:02 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default If The Pope Says There Are "Different Paths to God", Why Put Down Groups Like Protestants or SSPX?

If it's the case there are different paths to God, why does it matter to be "in full communion with Rome"?

I understand the following: the path we should be following is the one that leads to God, not Rome.

Right?

I am having trouble with this idea. What puzzles me even more is the hatred some people on this forum have towards groups that practice traditional Catholicism and are wrongly accused of being outside the Church. Those groups aren't even following a different path: they are following the path everyone used to folllow.

Are we making this more complicated than we have to? Aren't we praying to the same God the jews are praying to? If we are excommunicated, does it even matter? As long as we keep praying to the same God, we should all be ok, right?

Old May 5, '08, 1:11 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: If The Pope Says There Are "Different Paths to God", Why Put Down Groups Like Protestants or SSPX?

where did the pope say that?
what did he mean by that? This statement may have many different meanings in many different contexts.
Old May 5, '08, 1:16 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: If The Pope Says There Are "Different Paths to God", Why Put Down Groups Like Protestants or SSPX?

The Catholic faith is the only sure path. Its the only path that can gaurantee, if you follow it, that you will enter into heaven. Everything else is a dangerous gamble.
Old May 5, '08, 1:47 pm
Banned

Catholicism is the only path to God.

Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus.
Outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation.

only the batism of desire or true invicible ignoranece saves those souls outside the Church.
Old May 5, '08, 1:58 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Mantua View Post
If it's the case there are different paths to God, why does it matter to be "in full communion with Rome"?
Vatican II had a brief mention about ecumenism in its documents, yes.
Old May 5, '08, 6:22 pm

Send a message via AIM to kleary

Quote:

I understand the following: the path we should be following is the one that leads to God, not Rome.

Right?

I am having trouble with this idea. What puzzles me even more is the hatred some people on this forum have towards groups that practice traditional Catholicism and are wrongly accused of being outside the Church. Those groups aren't even following a different path: they are following the path everyone used to folllow.

Are we making this more complicated than we have to? Aren't we praying to the same God the jews are praying to? If we are excommunicated, does it even matter? As long as we keep praying to the same God, we should all be ok, right?

The Pope, not one of them, has ever said that "there are different paths to God"...or one religion is just as good as another. If you believe the Church teaches this then you are in error.

One of the errors of recent times is this such error. It is an erroneous interpretation of what Vatican II decreed.

Praying to the same God will not make it ok - Satan himself talks to God, even believes in Jesus Christ- now that he has been tricked into having Him killed....

Ken
Old May 5, '08, 6:39 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to EddieArent Send a message via AIM to EddieArent

http://www.romancatholicism.org/jpii-quotes.htm

Though I throw this caveat in --- the site is ran by BLEEPS! I provide the link for "educational purposes" and not as an endorsement for any conclusions presented.
Old May 6, '08, 4:55 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieArent View Post
http://www.romancatholicism.org/jpii-quotes.htm

Though I throw this caveat in --- the site is ran by BLEEPS! I provide the link for "educational purposes" and not as an endorsement for any conclusions presented.
I read everything in the site you gave and the Pope said nothing about salvation in other religions. What he said is that everyone is called to be saved but of course not everyone accepts that call. He said people who are not officially Catholics may be saved through baptism of desire and invincible ignorance which in effect makes such people Catholic.
The Pope definitely does not say anyone outside the Catholic Church will be saved.
Old May 6, '08, 12:19 pm

It depends what is meant by paths. For example, the contemplative religious life and the married life are both different paths in which one can attain to salvation.

However, as there is only one way to salvation in the sense that Christ is the only way (the way, the truth, and life). There is the narrow path and there is the broad path that leads to destruction. The only way is Christ's way, as His Mystical Body has traveled it, marked it, and taught it, since the Apostles.

The fact that someone who in "good faith" is mistaken or ignorant about Christ and His Church is not necessarily excluded from salvation does not mean their mistaken way is another valid way--rather, if they have faith (that is, they desire to abandon their own will to divine wisdom--which Christ is) they are on the one path interiorly, if not exteriorly.
Old May 6, '08, 1:30 pm

Quote:

Right?

*snort* Nice try.

You, yourself, don't believe this. You know there's a lot at stake.

Someone raised in the Presbyterian or Lutheran church doesn't know better. They don't personally decide to leave the One True Church and rebel against Christ's vicar on Earth. So, they don't offend me. I sure do believe that it's a shame they're missing so much of the Church. I think they're wrong, but I'm not personally offended.

http://www.everyclick.com/thecommuni...ewal/1093506/0

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism