Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 27, '04, 5:13 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist
Default Men With Long Hair

1 Corinthians 11,14 says:

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him"

This clearly attacks men with long hair. I'm a man with long hair down to mid-back, I've had it for about 10 years now, I never considered cutting it due to religious reasons. My long hair is important to me, what do you suggest I do?
Old Nov 27, '04, 5:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Men With Long Hair

I don't believe there is any church against long hair on men. I would go to the apologist forum and ask the how that passage applies to us today(I'm curious myself).

1 Cor 11:13. Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled?
14. Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears his hair long it is a disgrace to him,
15. whereas if a woman has long hair it is her glory, because long hair has been given [her] for a covering?
16. But if anyone is inclined to be argumentative, we do not have such a custom, nor do the churches of God.

I would think that verse 16 would mean hair length (as well as veils) would be a custom of the culture and not a teaching of God.

1 Tim 2: 9. Similarly, [too,] women should adorn themselves with proper conduct, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hairstyles and gold ornaments, or pearls, or expensive clothes,

Speaking of wives 1 Peter 3:3 Your adornment should not be an external one: braiding the hair, wearing gold jewelry, or dressing in fine clothes,

I would be curious about these passages as well. I'me mean most of us women wear gold jewelry. Certainly I wouldn't seen any sin in braiding hair or wearing fine clothes.

I have to say I am biased. I love long hair on men. I know this freaks some of the older generations out. My husband used to have it until his hair began to thin. (Although he lookes just as sexy with a buzz cut.)

I think it's up to you. But like I said if your interested in an interpretation as an apologist.
Old Nov 27, '04, 6:08 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin75

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him"

This clearly attacks men with long hair. I'm a man with long hair down to mid-back, I've had it for about 10 years now, I never considered cutting it due to religious reasons. My long hair is important to me, what do you suggest I do?
Two things come to mind. First, I wouldn't say this is an attack. Tradition holds that Jesus himself had long hair. And, if you put this in context with the next verse, you'll see it is more of a contrast of the sexes:
Quote:
1 Cor 11:14-15
Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears his hair long it is a disgrace to him, whereas if a woman has long hair it is her glory, because long hair has been given (her) for a covering?
Second, in a sense, it is correct that nature teaches that long hair is a disgrace on men. Think back to how society viewed those "long-haired-hippy-people" in the 60s. It's only because of 40 years of work have men with long hair become acceptable. But, you can see that "disgrace" does not equal "sin." I think it would be a mistake to try to read anything more into this passage.

In any event, the church has no official teaching as to how long men should wear their hair, so I say wear it with pride. But, please, stay away from the dreadlocks.

Peace and God bless!

Eric
Old Nov 27, '04, 6:13 am

Religion: Byzantine (rite) Catholic

Hi!

No, there's nothing wrong with a man with long hair. I guess the only time that there would be anything wrong with it--would have nothing to do with actually 'having' long hair --but with the 'why'.
If it would be 'because' someone likes the 'bad boy image', and then behaves accordingly......well, it wouldn't be good. However, if someone has long hair, like you, simply because you like it and feel good about yourself with it......then why not? The same thing could be said for any physical appearance or attribute, if its abused. It's not sinful of itself.

By the way, when I married my husband, he had long hair and enjoyed listening to Led Zeppelin too. It certainly had no effect on him. We've been married for 17 years and have two little children, a happy home, and, most importantly, faith in Christ.

False ideas may indeed be refuted by argument, but by true
ones alone are they expelled.
--John Henry Newman
Old Nov 27, '04, 6:51 am

Led Zeppelin75,
Samson certainly preferred long hair. He got into trouble when he let Delilah cut it off.
Wasn't that a sign of devotion for some old testament monks?
Newmn60
Old Nov 27, '04, 7:17 am
Banned

I can remember getting hassled about it in Catholic school. I had to wear it in a ponytail (a style I don't care for) during school. So I didn't know if the Church had something agaisnt this, I never had any problem at Church. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 27, '04, 9:07 am

Religion: catholic

I think that orthodox priests arent allowed to shave and must wear long hair, so, at least for them long hair is something good.
Old Nov 27, '04, 3:38 pm
Book Club Member

We have to be careful in reading the bible with 2004 eyes and minds. We have to read the bible within the social context of the times. By long hair St Paul was referring to men's hair which was the length of women's hair. At this time, for a man to have hair to his shoulders was considered normal length for a man.

As for the comments on gold jewellery and fine clothes maybe that meant that we should not spend too much of our time and money on our outward appearance. It is the same today; if choose to buy clothes and jewellery instead of buying food and paying the bills than that is wrong.

As for the comments on braiding the hair once again that refers, I think, to spending too much time on our outward appearance. Women in those days would have had very long hair and it would have taken hours to braid in a fancy manner.
Old Nov 27, '04, 4:13 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asking
I think that orthodox priests arent allowed to shave and must wear long hair, so, at least for them long hair is something good.
Indeed it is. Orthodox monks and nuns let their hair grow. It is not cut again after they have been tonsured into the monastic life and vowed their lives to Christ. Parish priests may cut their hair, or not; it depends on them and on their bishop.

The long hair goes back to the Old Testament vow of a Nazarite, and to Saint John the Baptist who is a role model for Orthodox monastics.

Numbers 6:5: "All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the time is completed for which he separates himself to the Lord, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long."

Old Nov 27, '04, 5:59 pm

Religion: catholic

What if the guy cant grow a full beard and only random patches of facial hair , stubble ?
Old Nov 27, '04, 7:09 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Men With Long Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89
1 Cor 11:14. Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears his hair long it is a disgrace to him,

1 Tim 2: 9. Similarly, [too,] women should adorn themselves with proper conduct, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hairstyles and gold ornaments, or pearls, or expensive clothes,

Speaking of wives 1 Peter 3:3 Your adornment should not be an external one: braiding the hair, wearing gold jewelry, or dressing in fine clothes,
I am doomed

tee,
who recently began wearing his long hair in a braid
Old Nov 28, '04, 12:06 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asking
What if the guy cant grow a full beard and only random patches of facial hair , stubble ?
Same as happens with deacons who can't sing. We hand 'em over to the Catholics.
Old Nov 28, '04, 8:23 am
Banned

I wish the Catholic clergy had the Orthodox tradition too
Old Nov 28, '04, 8:49 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin75

Me too..though not nearly as long a yours...
I think this verse points to a custom...or at most a discipline of the church (which can change). I wonder about St. Paul sometimes...he says that nature itself teaches this...why then does the male lion have the mane? Personally...I wouldn't sweat it...it's almost like being scrupulous. I think our Lord is far more interested in your prayers and your compassion for others & the good things you choose to do for others than how long your hair is. Does that help some?

Old Nov 28, '04, 9:35 am

Send a message via AIM to Seven Sorrows

Zeppelin:

Just keep rockin!!!! as long as it is not a mullet!

Here is some rocking Catholicfree music for ya....God Bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence