Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 8, '08, 10:45 am

Religion: catholic
Default Is it a sin not to attend church on Sunday?

A lady I met on another forum knew scripture backward and forward...she has some ideas I found very different...one thing she claimed was it was not a sin to miss church on Sun....she would frequently go to plays ,and social events and not to church . She also spent a fortune on herself and always bragged it was God's blessing that she had the money to do this

I always thought greed was one of the 7 deadly sins..she seemed to think that these kind of things never applied to those who were saved. She said Christ suffered all so all we need to do is to accept him and go our merry way

She said sins didn't matter , they were all covered by Christ's passion...It sounded to me like things a pagan would come out with..she always made fun of those who were regular church attenders saying a church won't save you ..yada. yada

I can't see what good it does to accept Christ and then live like you never knew him?

I won't mention the denomination she liked, because I don't think it's fair to assume others belonging to it were like her
Old May 8, '08, 12:38 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin not to attend church on Sunday?

Sounds to me like a good example of breaking the first commandment. "I don't have to go to church because I don't think it's a sin." Oh yeah? That may be what she says, but not what God says. Who gets to decide what's a sin? You? Me? Seems to me that would be elevating myself to be like God. Isn't that a breaking of the first commandment (I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.)? Isn't that what Adam and Eve did? And brought original sin . . . from which we needed a savior?

To answer your question, yes, it is a mortal sin to miss Mass on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation. Get to confession. I believe this is the teaching of the Church. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. After all, I don't get to decide, the Church does.
Old May 8, '08, 1:28 pm
Forum Supporter

Unfortunately, though, this is a very common attitude among certain types of Protestants (certainly not all, and not among the Protestants on this particular board, but still - they are out there.) There are a lot of "Christians" in my part of the world who believe this; that they can do whatever they want because they've accepted Christ and that's it. Also, that if you have enough faith, God will send money your way. I made the error for years of believing this this is what Christianity taught, and it kept me away. My accidental discovery of Catholic teachings was a real eye-opener.
... the Second Vatican Council carries with it the whole teaching history of the Church. Whoever wants to be obedient to it, must accept the faith of centuries and may not cut the roots from which the tree lives. - Benedict XVI
http://vinecharcoal.etsy.com
Old May 8, '08, 2:11 pm
Forum Elder

The Commandment is to Keep Holy the Sabbath. I think this means to spend time in prayer, no servile work etc. The specific means of doing this are not prescribed. Note that the Ten Commandments are from God and cannot be dispensed.

The specific command to attend church is a law of the Catholic Church and binds only Catholics. Note that it can be dispensed for due cause.

Also note that attending mass fulfills only the Church Law. The Commandment requires that we keep the whole day holy, whether or not we have been dispensed from the Church Law; not just 50 minutes.
Old May 8, '08, 3:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

That's a fairly common attitude among some of the Protestant denominations. But then, they are not assisting at Holy Mass, nor do they have the fullness of truth that we have in the Catholic Church. It's not a sin for us not to attend church on Sunday...as long as we go to the Saturday Vigil instead!

Old May 8, '08, 5:54 pm
Banned

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

all good catholics attend church each sunday. That is what seperates us from casual christians. Most protestants do not attend church as often. They have no valid eucharist or ordained priests. Therefore they have no real reason to go other than to socialize and talk in the back of church before and during worship service. It is not even called Mass So there you go wrong from the get go.
Old May 8, '08, 5:59 pm

My apologies . . . I didn't realize I was posting on a Non-Catholic Religions page. I happened upon the post elsewhere and didn't realize that's what it was until after I posted. It wasn't until I read the different version of the first commandment that I realized. Both Catholics and Protestants have the same decalogue in the Bible (from which the Ten Commandments come). How they are enumerated in calling them the Ten Commandments differ slightly. Read Exodus in a Protestant or Catholic Bible . . . they are the same thing.

Knowing where my post is, my answer changes. The essence of Protestantism is that you don't believe what the Catholic Church teaches on X, Y, or Z, and YOU think it should be different, so it is. Therefore, if this woman feels that missing church is ok, then it is. You can taylor Christianity to fit your lifestyle. Hence the 30,000 different denominations.

Jesus prayed that we may all be one. But which one? I would like to invite you to check out the Catholic Church.
Old May 8, '08, 6:54 pm
Banned

Religion: LUTHERAN American synod

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods blues View Post
all good catholics attend church each sunday. That is what seperates us from casual christians. Most protestants do not attend church as often. They have no valid eucharist or ordained priests. Therefore they have no real reason to go other than to socialize and talk in the back of church before and during worship service. It is not even called Mass So there you go wrong from the get go.
Well is that so. You seem to be such an expert. I do attend church every Sunday. I did not attends every Sunday back in My RCC days. Kind of like attending Church now seems to be a lot of polite christians there and less Backwoods Blues and Righteousone's there. Just pews full of Lutheran Christians worshiping together as a community. A congregation of people looking out for thy neighbor and not down on them
Old May 8, '08, 7:05 pm

I am a catholic and a practicing one at that

I was really after the Protestant pov here

The person that posted all of this weird stuff kept bragging about being saved ,while she tore apart all faiths she disliked..catholics seemed to be at the head of the pack

I never saw her pray for anyone that requested prayers. She actually once posted she didn't want anyone to pray for he,r because she only wanted people she knew were saved, to pray for her...she claimed she had the gift of discernment....she attacked a lovely lady that was a JW ,unmercifully...I kept looking for a sign of her love for her fellow man,( you can tell we are Christian by our love) and never saw one...but she swore she was saved...
Old May 8, '08, 7:21 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosetea View Post

A lady I met on another forum knew scripture backward and forward...she has some ideas I found very different...one thing she claimed was it was not a sin to miss church on Sun....
She obviously doesn't know scripture as well as she thinks.

(emphasis mine)

Quote:
:
Heb 10:

25 Let us not give up meeting together, (attending mass)as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day (Sunday, the Lord's Day)approaching.
26 If we deliberately keep on sinning (missing Mass) after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins(the Eucharist) is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
Is missing mass serious? Just look at v 27. That's why missing mass on purpose is a mortal sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose

she would frequently go to plays ,and social events and not to church . She also spent a fortune on herself and always bragged it was God's blessing that she had the money to do this

I always thought greed was one of the 7 deadly sins..she seemed to think that these kind of things never applied to those who were saved. She said Christ suffered all so all we need to do is to accept him and go our merry way

She said sins didn't matter , they were all covered by Christ's passion...It sounded to me like things a pagan would come out with..she always made fun of those who were regular church attenders saying a church won't save you ..yada. yada

I can't see what good it does to accept Christ and then live like you never knew him?

I won't mention the denomination she liked, because I don't think it's fair to assume others belonging to it were like her
She's obviously been grossly misled.
Old May 8, '08, 8:00 pm

Quote:
she claimed was it was not a sin to miss church on Sun....

She said sins didn't matter , they were all covered by Christ's passion...It sounded to me like things a pagan would come out with..she always made fun of those who were regular church attenders saying a church won't save you
Some Protestant/Christian people have retained the idea that one ought to go to worship services on Sunday. It is my experience that not all of those retain the idea that it is somehow a sin to skip now and then. Also, I heard it said many times that going to worship services cannot save you. They mean that you can't buy your way into heaven by performing a laundry list of things. They may have in mind a scenario (a bizarre one, from my point of view) where you go to the pearly gates and there is a guy there posing questions. The scenario requires you to answer correctly to get into heaven. What they have in mind is that some person goes there and when asked, "Why should I let you in?", that the person answers, "Because I always went to church." So they are trying to say that answer is not the right answer and won't get you into heaven.

The comment about sins not mattering is probably a reflection of her having heard some type of once-saved-always-saved preaching. She is likely getting the emphasis of that sermon a bit confused. Usually OSAS groups will say that going around sinning is not irrelevant. It may not change salvation, but they do think it is relevant to something.
Old May 8, '08, 8:08 pm

She didn't think you could lose your salvation, and she was a big admirer of Hagee....she said things like Lent were silly ,and served no purpose..If someone said they were doing without she would ask if she could have their portion..she claimed people that denied themsleves were just patting themselves on the back, and not doing it for any other reason

It was really very distasteful to listen to her...she was only interested in what kinds of social functions she could find at church
Old May 8, '08, 8:51 pm

Quote:
She didn't think you could lose your salvation, and she was a big admirer of Hagee....she said things like Lent were silly ,and served no purpose..If someone said they were doing without she would ask if she could have their portion..she claimed people that denied themsleves were just patting themselves on the back, and not doing it for any other reason

It was really very distasteful to listen to her...she was only interested in what kinds of social functions she could find at church
Remember, you will hear all sorts of opinions on the internet. Before I had access, I was less aware of what other people think. Sometimes I wish I could undo knowing now. Sigh. Anyway, don't let her trouble you. Lent is not silly. I think the whole liturgical year is a good idea. It is designed to help us move more deeply into the life of Christ each year. We follow the path of his birth, ministry, passion, resurrection, appearances, etc. Lent is the time we are remembering his time of preparation in the desert as we prepare again for Easter. It is especially a time to repent and be converted even more to Christ. It is good to do this every day of the year, of course, but we have a time built in each year for this, a whole season to think upon it. There is nothing of "patting ourselves on the back" in our trying to conform our lives to Christ.

Her accusation could only hold weight for an individual person, like a person who goes around proclaiming to anyone who will listen, "Look at me, all this praying I'm doing. I'm so wonderful. Etc." Then what she is thinking about is the gospel passages about not letting your right hand know what your left is doing and about those who like to pray in public so that everyone can notice how wonderful they are have already been paid in full.
Old May 8, '08, 9:11 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Ahmadi ( Muslim )

Quote:
..yada. yada
Hi

English is not my mother tongue. I don't find the word "yada" in the dictionary. Would you kindly expalin it for me. Is it a slang?

Thanks
Old May 8, '08, 9:17 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Ahmadi ( Muslim )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy View Post
Sounds to me like a good example of breaking the first commandment. "I don't have to go to church because I don't think it's a sin."
Hi

I don't think it is one of the ten commandments; which you have mentioned as first commandment .

As far as I know JesusYeshuaIssa was a Jew. How could he command to attend religious gathering on Sundays in stead of Saturdays, the Sabbath.

Anybody please.

Thanks
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions