Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 9, '08, 7:57 pm
Banned

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Default Re: Is it a sin not to attend church on Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteeks21 View Post
Maybe you should consider your rudeness and arrogance to your priest. And be sure to confess it to God before you take the eucharist, and that's important to remember since Paul reminded us to make sure we did not take it in an unworthy manner. Those are such condescending statements. Go find something else to do other than attack people who don't agree with. Get a hobby.
I am the nice guy in the Family If you think I am Rude and arrogant you should meet My older Sister.
Old May 9, '08, 10:52 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsper7 View Post
The response to someone who sins (esp. willfully), is that the following can happen:

1) Temporal punishment/chastisement (including physical death)
2) Loss of eternal rewards
3) Shame when they finally come before Christ
Your post encouraged me to think about what reasons I find most compelling to not sin. I mean personally, not logically. Logically, I probably ought to find most compelling the line from the psalms: Psalm 51:4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, ... But I am not logical, and I am more compelled by my desire not to scandalize my brothers and not to be of less use to them than I ought to be. I can sometimes prod myself into action with the thought that if I don't pray and talk to God and try to walk uprightly, then how can I in turn have anything of use to give to my brothers?

Another reason that often constrains me is a desire to avoid the unpleasant internal disharmony that sins create in myself. Maybe this one falls under what you meant by "temporal punishment".

Lastly, when I was younger, I read the sermon on the mount many times, which concludes"...everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell -- and great was its fall!" Those words have motivated me.

Uh, "scandalize" might be specialized terminology. It means to me that a person by their sinning could lead others to sin or to hate or despair, and so on.
Old May 10, '08, 12:46 pm

Religion: United Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods blues View Post
I am Flatered to be mentioned in the same sentence as Righteousone. Thank You "Righteousone 08" gets my vote for CAF Chair. I saw a yard sign just the other day
Both of you are made for each other. You have my vote.

It is a dubious honor, my friend.
Old May 10, '08, 1:34 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
The Commandment is to Keep Holy the Sabbath. I think this means to spend time in prayer, no servile work etc. The specific means of doing this are not prescribed. Note that the Ten Commandments are from God and cannot be dispensed.

The specific command to attend church is a law of the Catholic Church and binds only Catholics. Note that it can be dispensed for due cause.

Also note that attending mass fulfills only the Church Law. The Commandment requires that we keep the whole day holy, whether or not we have been dispensed from the Church Law; not just 50 minutes.
Most Protestants do go to church every Sunday and many also go to church on Wednesday night for Bible study. The "blue laws" that used to be in place in the USA that prohibited stores being open on Sunday and prohibited alcohol sales on Sunday were a Protestant invention, not a Catholic one. Of course there are lazy and indifferent Protestants who do not bother to go to church on Sunday, just as there are lazy and indifferent Catholics who do not bother to go to church on Sunday either.

Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Old May 10, '08, 1:39 pm

Religion: catholic

I have Protestants in my family and those that are, do go to church every Sunday...I just started to wonder if they were in the minority?....One thing Catholics have, that Protestants don't is the ability to pick a convenient time to attend...I don't think Protestants have multi services
Old May 10, '08, 1:41 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosetea View Post
I have Protestants in my family and those that are, do go to church every Sunday...I just started to wonder if they were in the minority?....One thing Catholics have, that Protestants don't is the ability to pick a convenient time to attend...I don't think Protestants have multi services
The Lutheran church just down the street from my church has a Saturday evening service at 5 pm and two services on Sunday (8 am and 10 am).

Old May 10, '08, 1:51 pm

I am not too surprised to hear the Lutherans do this...they got all of their good stuff from us..
Old May 10, '08, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Most Protestant groups that I know of do have a selection of times to attend. Some attend on Wednesday and Sunday, typically. Some do not go on Sunday ever and only go on Saturday (that type is very, very keen on not missing, though). Smaller storefront churches may meet at only one time on a particular day, but as I drive around town I see that anyplace over a certain size has two time choices on Sunday listed in their display box.

They have the type that only shows up if the family makes them or it is Easter or something, just like we do. As I was raised, they seem less inclined to spend time in an airport between legs of a flight at a service than a Catholic is (I mean comparing between a Protestant who does go every Sunday and a Catholic who does go every Sunday) in order to attend on a Sunday while traveling. That could just be the particular mix of Protestants that I grew up around, though. It's not like I haven't seen chapels in airports for non-Catholics.
Old May 10, '08, 5:01 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
It's not like I haven't seen chapels in airports for non-Catholics.
I have even seen Protestant chapels at truck stops.

Old May 10, '08, 5:03 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I am not too surprised to hear the Lutherans do this...they got all of their good stuff from us..
One of my friends who is Methodist said that his church is starting a Saturday evening service this fall.

There is a Baptist church in my neighbourhood that has a Sunday evening service. I saw it on their sign.

Old May 10, '08, 5:44 pm
Banned

Religion: Persecuted Non-denominational Christian minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy View Post
Sounds to me like a good example of breaking the first commandment. "I don't have to go to church because I don't think it's a sin." Oh yeah? That may be what she says, but not what God says. Who gets to decide what's a sin? You? Me? Seems to me that would be elevating myself to be like God. Isn't that a breaking of the first commandment (I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.)? Isn't that what Adam and Eve did? And brought original sin . . . from which we needed a savior?

To answer your question, yes, it is a mortal sin to miss Mass on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation. Get to confession. I believe this is the teaching of the Church. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. After all, I don't get to decide, the Church does.
You miss Paul's point about freedom completely. He says explicitly that there are those who value a particular day of the week, and those that dont. He NEVER says it is sinful not to honor a day of the week, but call it the freedom of Christ. Even Jesus states His real teaching regarding the Sabbath. He even spoke to what you are doing here, putting man's rules before God's teaching.
Old May 10, '08, 5:49 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyWarren View Post
"yada, yada, yada" IMHO replaced "etc, etc, etc" because the English tongue and mentality has gotten lazy. Yada is much easier to say then etc.
I don't think it's laziness, more likely it simply became popularised after its use in the extremely successful TV show 'Seinfeld'. That was where I first heard it.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 10, '08, 5:54 pm

She never went on any day as far as I know. She said you didn't have to

It seems to me if she was so in love with Christ, she would have wanted to worship with others, not just listen to that Hagee person

SHe was very big about getting money as a blessing, and figured anyone that didn't have enough wasn't a true Christian..I have never heard such a terrible thing in my life

People would tell her pride was a sin, and she would just scoff at them....I guess everyone will go to heaven regardless of how they behave, if they claim they are saved...I don't know what she thinks the final judgement is about, and why we will face it?...I guess she feels it's just for other people, not the likes of her....

There was a minisiter that came on the board and told her she was wrong, and that she was completely, twisting scripture to suit her self, and giving a bad example...she was so nasty to the minister...The minister tried to gently tell her she wasn't serving God and worded it very kind...she in return called them a liar..and attacked them in a most unChrist like way
Old May 10, '08, 6:32 pm
Banned

Religion: LUTHERAN American synod

[quote=Pug;3665467]Most Protestant groups that I know of do have a selection of times to attend. Some attend on Wednesday and Sunday, typically. Some do not go on Sunday ever and only go on Saturday (that type is very, very keen on not missing, though). Smaller storefront churches may meet at only one time on a particular day, but as I drive around town I see that anyplace over a certain size has two time choices on Sunday listed in their display box.

They have the type that only shows up if the family makes them or it is Easter or something, just like we do. As I was raised, they seem less inclined to spend time in an airport between legs of a flight at a service than a Catholic is (I mean comparing between a Protestant who does go every Sunday and a Catholic who does go every Sunday) in order to attend on a Sunday while traveling. That could just be the particular mix of Protestants that I grew up around, though. It's not like I haven't seen chapels in airports for non-Catholics.[/QUOTE

Oh now the world is also full of Catholics who go to church only when Moma askes them or Christmas or Easter as well. As ( in my catholic days I did) So do not get the Idea that all catholic are filling the Pews. I was a C& E Catholic for forty years. Now as a Lutheran I attend each and every Sunday. Seeing as how the USA has 60 millon Catholics and 9 millon lutherans ( round numbers) I bet there are more catholics watching the early Football game rather than being in church. I should Know.!! I now watch Football after church My town has seven Lutheran churches and only two Cathoilc churches and on a percentage basis We got a beat on the attendance Thing So How do you like them apples ? I Am so sick and tired of this web site and all the time wasted reading some of these Posts " I Am a catholic and I am going straight to heavan and Prots are going to Purgatorty" what bunch of hoey. If any of you think I am going to Hell because I left the Rcc You are being Judgemental and I will save you a seat Oh I myay go to hell anyway but it will not for leaving the RCC. Some of you are going to be surprised who you see in heaven.
Old May 10, '08, 6:41 pm
Banned

Religion: LUTHERAN American synod

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods blues View Post
I am the nice guy in the Family If you think I am Rude and arrogant you should meet My older Sister.
So you are saying it Runs in the family? How nice are you realted to Righteous?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions